My laptop is mysteriously partitioned...

Users who are viewing this thread

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
I bought a new laptop as a graduation present (yay!). It's kickass and all that.

PRoblem: it comes with a C drive and a D drive. The C drive is pathetic and holds 30 gigs of stuff at max. The D drive, where I install all my games and other hard-drive hogging software, can hold around 160 or so.

Problem is, whenever I install games into the D drive, my C drive mysteriously fills up. It's getting to the point where I'm almost out of space on my C drive.

Help? Is there any way to put everything into one big drive or somesuch? I've deleted all I can in the C drive, but it still leaves me with only 5 gigs free...

Get Sequoia view and see what's hoggin' the space; Might be temp or some such.

Oh and the only way to get rid of partitions is to format the whole drive (but IMO a partition for windows is good).

Vista supports dynamic partitioning, and there's some utilities which claim the same for XP.

Check where the space is going though. Any game which installs crap to My Documents is still going to put said crap in C:\, since that's presumably where the My Documents folder is. And check temp for left over ****.

I got Sequoia which showed me that, indeed, at least 5 gigs were being eaten up by temp files. The rest seem to be important-looking windows files, though, hmm...

I'm not sure what dynamic partitioning is, though.

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
I got Sequoia which showed me that, indeed, at least 5 gigs were being eaten up by temp files.
Yup, that'd do it. Shoddy bloody game devs :lol:
The rest seem to be important-looking windows files, though, hmm...
I don't know any Windows OS which requires 25Gb
I'm not sure what dynamic partitioning is, though.
The ability to feck around with partitions without destroying data, as Ilex said. Vista lets you create, destroy and move partitions around without needing to touch the actual data (unless of course you start cutting into the data area of the disk for a partition). Otherwise known as NTFS finally being able to do what every ****er else has been doing for ten years.

Back
Top Bottom