What do you consider to be the most overrated game of all time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pjoo said:
It does take more than just elementary mathematics just to know there is shared cooldown in windfury weapon procs. It takes empirical tests to notice it.
Or you could RTFM :razz:
I want to see you start using calculator on boss while healing when boss's swing timer is 2.0 and it 2shots(more like 1,5shots) tank. There is not much time to think what heal to use, you just need to know what heal to use, what rank of it etc.
Point being you can do the calculation outside of the game. Given the build and the name of the boss in question you can write a script to automate the entire thing, I've done it before myself.

I also put forward 'Starcraft' as a strong candidate.
Yup. Generic RTS takes over Korea :lol:

Archonsod said:
Point being you can do the calculation outside of the game. Given the build and the name of the boss in question you can write a script to automate the entire thing, I've done it before myself.

Oh wow, wonderful. By that logic you could write a script for any game that's ever existed, since at the end of the day our brain is just a computer that calculates variables, so why not stick a script in its place to paly the game for us. In fact, why not cut the crap and write a script for our entire lives too. After all, we're just machines that work in a slightly different manner, writing a script would save all that thinking malarkey.

The script in this case simply runs through a chain of abilities one after the other, with a simple check to fire off healing if health drops below a specific amount. Like I said, takes about five minutes to write. For something you're talking about it would be closer to an AI routine, and would take a lot longer than five minutes (assuming I could even do it in the first place :lol:)

Archonsod said:
Pjoo said:
I want to see you start using calculator on boss while healing when boss's swing timer is 2.0 and it 2shots(more like 1,5shots) tank. There is not much time to think what heal to use, you just need to know what heal to use, what rank of it etc.

Not exactly. For some bosses it might work, but certainly not on... Kalecgos for example. Not with simple script. And pretty much every game can be automated with longer scripts and I rarely see anyone complaining DotA, for example, doesn't take skill. And I still don't know why one of our shadow priests did 40% less dps than the other.

Mage246 said:
Pong.

Because every idiot video game fanboy treats it like it was something great. We've got t-shirts praising it, for gods sake, even though it's just glorified table tennis. I wont deny that it was groundbreaking, but we've come a long way since then and it's time to let go of the past. Especially the really embarassing ****ty past, like pong.

Something is wrong with you.

The point of this thread isn't that the games mentioned are completely worthless. WoW isn't complete crap. You can see that by how many people still play it. On the other hand, I don't think WoW is God's gift to mankind. That means it is overrated to me. Overrated, not crap. I played it myself for a few years, and I enjoyed it while I played it. The arguments against the game here are mostly against MMOs in general, in terms of the limitations of the game mechanics.

In comparison to other MMOs, WoW comes out probably near the top of everyone's list. But that doesn't mean it is near the top of your all-time best list of video-games. I think it is a fun game, but I don't understand its complete and utter domination of the gaming scene since it came out. Sure it is fun, at least for a while, but I think it is overrated.

Pjoo said:
Not exactly. For some bosses it might work, but certainly not on... Kalecgos for example. Not with simple script. And pretty much every game can be automated with longer scripts and I rarely see anyone complaining DotA, for example, doesn't take skill. And I still don't know why one of our shadow priests did 40% less dps than the other.
Every game containing an AI is effectively automated with longer scripts to some extent :lol: The problem with WoW's combat (and similar systems) is that it's predictable, there's far too few variables which effect it. Literally select a target, queue up abilities and perform the odd check on whether you need a healing spell or not.

The fact you can actually work out a DPS doesn't help.

Let's see, from the games i can remember now:

FEAR - Overrated as the scariest and coolest shootah ev34r. Ok, it creeped me out, true. But i was more scared in AvP2 (And i'm easily scared). As for the shooter part... Meh, those gun fights annoyed me to the point of quiting the game half through and watching the outro on YT.

World of Warcraft - no comment needed.

System Shock 2 - Fun to a certain point, then becomes kinda boring.

Gears of War - Just overrated.

Counter Strike - Unless somone proves me that every standard Anti-Terrorist action looks like a generic deathmatch with some ignored-by-everyone in between.

GTA 3, Vice City, etc - Crap imo.

(those are actually the only new games i played  :lol: (excluding HL2))

Hm, now that i think of it, i'd have to agree with Arch - Most games are overrated in one way or another.

PS.
I never played Halo though.

Archonsod said:
The script in this case simply runs through a chain of abilities one after the other, with a simple check to fire off healing if health drops below a specific amount. Like I said, takes about five minutes to write.

No, that wouldn't work. Not unless you had the most incredibly well geared character ever, and could rely on mana regeneration to keep you full while you healed with whatever you felt like. (which is basically impossible)

If you've put it into practice I'd like to know what on, because I find it difficult to believe.

You only heal yourself. If your mana regen is high enough you can simply kick in a heal when your health drops below a specific amount. If not, you only need to know the dps of the enemy to work out at which point you need to trigger a heal.

Halo and Oblivion. Both considered "Best Game EVAR" and etc while they didn't bring nothing really new or worthwhile to the table. One is an over produced shooter and the other a dumbing down of a classic rpg franchise.

phbbbt107 said:
Tarrantmw said:
Halo and Gears Of War.

Both ****ty games, overly hyped.

Agreed.

Albino said:
Entire GTA series.

What? No way. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is up there with Final Fantasy VII and Ratchet and Clank as my greatest games ever.

Funny, I give the 'Most overrated' awards to Final Fantasy 7, GTA series, and Halo series.
I'll throw in the Myst and Sims series too, though I've never played them, so technically I don't know that they suck...  just that they can't possibly live up to their hype.

What I don't understand is that there are people who had played FPS games on computers and STILL thought that Halo/Goldeneye/etc were anything other than stinky poo.

While Myst and Sims wont appeal to a adrenaline fueled FPS fan who lives his days dreaming of blood and normandy beach landings, they're very good for people who don't like that sort of stuff. Always tended to play adventure games as a family, and I constantly wish I could go back and play the Myst series with a fresh mind, just so it can all be surprising again. I have no illusions of being able to defend it on this forum though, but I'd say that in terms of being beautiful immersing experiences they do live up to their hype although the original myst shows it's age greatly now. Of course people complain about the puzzles and such, but if a teenager and his grandfather can do the supposedly insane puzzles of Riven, surely no-one else would have trouble.

Sims is meh, to me but a lot of people enjoy it. Once again, your hardcore violence gamer will hate it.

Archonsod said:
You only heal yourself. If your mana regen is high enough you can simply kick in a heal when your health drops below a specific amount. If not, you only need to know the dps of the enemy to work out at which point you need to trigger a heal.

Expect that healing self as healer is quite useless.
And potential Brutallus dps during stomp: 19k? If we count it for 2 seconds, aka potential burst. When tank has around 20k hp, and heals take 2,5(or 1,5 flash heals that don't do **** when boss hits 17k or paladin 2sec heals, still not fast enough)second to cast, if you start casting when tank takes damage you have wiped the raid.

And yes, there is quite few variables(on most bosses), but perfect execution that some bosses require is damn hard.

Not unless you had the most incredibly well geared character ever, and could rely on mana regeneration to keep you full while you healed with whatever you felt like. (which is basically impossible)

Not really impossible. My shaman had 210mp/5 while casting, Eye of Gruul and Alchemist's Stone. In Black Temple hps shouldn't be problem, going oom was. So mp/5 gems etc. and it was pretty much impossible to go oom on any boss spamming CH rank 4, rank  5 wasn't really needed there.

Pjoo said:
Expect that healing self as healer is quite useless.
And potential Brutallus dps during stomp: 19k? If we count it for 2 seconds, aka potential burst. When tank has around 20k hp, and heals take 2,5(or 1,5 flash heals that don't do **** when boss hits 17k or paladin 2sec heals, still not fast enough)second to cast, if you start casting when tank takes damage you have wiped the raid.

And yes, there is quite few variables(on most bosses), but perfect execution that some bosses require is damn hard.
I wouldn't use a script on a character while grouped. It would seem a bit bad mannered I guess. Even then though the problem is only what Blizzard allows. If it were possible to have a single script controlling multiple characters it wouldn't be any harder to script an entire party to take on a boss

Saber Cherry said:
I'll throw in the Myst and Sims series too, though I've never played them, so technically I don't know that they suck...  just that they can't possibly live up to their hype.
Myst did get a lot of overhyping; in fact it's one of the first "graphics over gameplay" games. Would say the Sims is actually under rated though. At least by the usual gaming sources.

Saber Cherry said:
What I don't understand is that there are people who had played FPS games on computers and STILL thought that Halo/Goldeneye/etc were anything other than stinky poo.

I cannot bear to hear the good name of Goldeneye 007 slandered. That game (in multiplayer) was pure fun.

Dryvus said:
Saber Cherry said:

I cannot bear to hear the good name of Goldeneye 007 slandered. That game (in multiplayer) was pure fun.

:arrow:

Dryvus said:
I second that.

As to the most overrated game I guess it boils down to personal preference. I'd say Halo was/is grossly overrated, but at the same time I've enjoyed two of the games. In my books the most noticeably over exposed game is Warcraft 3, there are TV channels dedicated to it for God's sake! I just can't understand the appeal (except the cinematics).

Goldeneye in multiplayer had about a 60x60 resolution for each player and terrible controls.  IIRC you had to fire as soon as you saw a pixel the wrong color, which indicated that there was an enemy in front of you.  Now Mario Cart 64 multiplayer, that was really fun.

Dain Ironfoot said:
While Myst and Sims wont appeal to a adrenaline fueled FPS fan who lives his days dreaming of blood and normandy beach landings, they're very good for people who don't like that sort of stuff. Always tended to play adventure games as a family, and I constantly wish I could go back and play the Myst series with a fresh mind, just so it can all be surprising again.

I used to play a few adventure games, such as Monkey Island and Quest for Glory, and I liked them a lot.  Who knows, it's possible that I would have liked Myst (though I doubt it, based on all the reviews I read at the time), and I'm not saying it's definitely bad; it just angered me (possibly irrationally) that it was often praised and promoted as the best game of all time, and was the highest selling game ever (at the time), just because it came bundled with computers.  Kind of like Macs - I loathe them largely because Mac zealots have traditionally been so... well, zealous, and full of misinformation and lies.  And even if Macs have improved a lot since the days when I had some bad experiences with them, I'll never overcome my dislike; at least, not as long as Jobs is in control, and they keep using their stupid ads that feed BS to impressionable computer illiterates.

I guess it's a bit weird that I dislike a game because I feel it is overrated, rather than feeling a game is overrated because I dislike it :smile:

Metalgearsolid (im sorry i just ****ing hate the series)

and bioshock, come on it was system shock labotomised 

+++LocaL+++

Back
Top Bottom