No More Trees 1.2, 1.2a & Burnt Trees Addon 1.0 for 1.003 & 0.808

Users who are viewing this thread

Talak

Sergeant Knight
No More Trees 1.2, 1.2a & Burnt Trees Addon 1.0 for 1.003

*Updated 25th October 2008*

There are two versions -
No More Trees 1.2 will work with M&B 1.003.
No More Trees 1.2a is for M&B 0.808, for older mods such as The Last Days etc.

Features (No More Trees):
- Removes all leaves from trees; trunks and branches remain
- Removes all bushes
- World Map forests remain

- Should provide framerate boost on older PCs.

Notes:
-Incompatible with any mods that replace the native materials.brf.
-As per the included readme.txt, make sure to place "load_mod_resource = talak_materials" near the very top of the load_resource lines in module.ini, or you'll get untextured meshes.

Features (Burnt Trees Addon):
Makes all branches and trunks look like they've been burnt.  I may have missed some, please let me know.

Please leave feedback and error reports.

No More Trees 1.2a (2.5kb)

No More Trees 1.2 (8kb)

Burnt Trees Addon 1.0 (310kb)

No More Trees:
no_more_trees.jpg

With Burnt Trees Addon:
burnt_trees.jpg

At the moment it looks like the world map shares trees with the battle map, so I'm not sure if I can have world map trees with no battle map trees.  I'll look into it more later.

Ho Chi Minh trail after a bit of Agent orange:lol:

Might've been usefull when I had a crappy computer, so thanks.  :smile:

You could increase your Pagefile which helps a lot with the heavily forested areas and the game in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2c00bY73JA

I know its not that clear but you should be able to understand. Let me know if it helps.
(Just trying to help anyone who would really want trees) :cool:

Increasing the pagefile doesnt necessarily make things better and can make things worse if your computer tries to access the hd at the same time it is using the pagefile.  You should probably mention that for each mb of pagefile you use, 1 mb is stored on your hard drive and unavailable for other use, so if you have a low gb machine, this is not recommended.

grailknighthero said:
Increasing the pagefile doesnt necessarily make things better and can make things worse if your computer tries to access the hd at the same time it is using the pagefile.  You should probably mention that for each mb of pagefile you use, 1 mb is stored on your hard drive and unavailable for other use, so if you have a low gb machine, this is not recommended.
Well with having 4-6GB as a max then you wont go wrong. I put that in the description.

World map trees have been restored, unfortunately this means replacing the materials.brf file, which I would rather not do if I can help it, as it would make it incompatible with other mods using this file.  The problem is that I can't find anything so far that uses the map_trees material, which is used for the world map.  The map_tree_meshes.brf file does not use this material.
No download yet, I'm still checking for alternatives.

Edit:  1.0 released on the Repository.

Just what i needed darn thick forest.
I have  to do 85% of the fighting!

I'm making a LOD-pack for the scenery. And as you're now doing tree modeling, I'm asking a few questions here:

- (biggest problem with a few trees) when I decide to go and make the branches simpler I first flatten a branch (from "(" to "I", a side of a branch on snowy_tree_a), then I want to remove the middle -not used- vertex. But it won't let me do that. Instead of removing a vertex or a line anywhere the whole tree model dissapears. I had this problem with: snowy_tree_a and some "aspen_tree" models

- Are tree_e_meshes and tree_meshes being used anymore? The trees seem to have vanished since 0.890...

Im still using the first version or 0.955. I replaced all the textures with yours, except for trees.dds. This way some trees remain both on the battlefield and map, but it still gets rid of bushes and lesser trees. The performace increase is great, thanks again.

killkhergit said:
I'm making a LOD-pack for the scenery. And as you're now doing tree modeling, I'm asking a few questions here:

- (biggest problem with a few trees) when I decide to go and make the branches simpler I first flatten a branch (from "(" to "I", a side of a branch on snowy_tree_a), then I want to remove the middle -not used- vertex. But it won't let me do that. Instead of removing a vertex or a line anywhere the whole tree model dissapears. I had this problem with: snowy_tree_a and some "aspen_tree" models

- Are tree_e_meshes and tree_meshes being used anymore? The trees seem to have vanished since 0.890...

If I understand correctly, you want to remove the middle set of vertexes on a branch.  So from side view the vertices would look like this:
  . .
  . .
  . .

If you delete the middle set, the whole thing will disappear as you are breaking the chain.  What you need to do is stitch / join / weld the middle row to the top or bottom row.

Example as above, with coordinates:
  1a  2a
  1b  2b
  1c  2c

Weld 1b to 1a, 2b to 2a.  And the same for the back vertices.  Alternatively, delete the end vertices and cap the resulting hole.

Hope this is what you meant.  I'm not actually doing any tree modelling, just removing leaves.

I'm unsure as to what trees are still being used.

D'Sparil said:
Im still using the first version or 0.955. I replaced all the textures with yours, except for trees.dds. This way some trees remain both on the battlefield and map, but it still gets rid of bushes and lesser trees. The performace increase is great, thanks again.

Glad it's working well.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks a lot for this, I don't have a powerful PC and likes dead trees. This will do me good =D

Did you put this line:

load_mod_resource = talak_materials

directly below:

#load_resource = materials

as it says in the readme.txt?

The module.ini section should read similar to this:
Code:
load_resource = test
load_resource = textures_face_gen
load_resource = shaders
load_resource = textures
#load_resource = materials
load_mod_resource = talak_materials
load_resource = materials_face_gen

The materials need to be loaded before the meshes.

Hmm thats what was wrong i must've accidently pasted over "load_resource = materials_face_gen" and not realised.  :oops:

Back
Top Bottom