Author Topic: Dev Blog 24/10/19  (Read 4650 times)

Callum_TaleWorlds

• Inmate #79
  • Community Manager
  • Soon™
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
Dev Blog 24/10/19
« on: October 24, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »

Music is a vital part of our lives, and it’s one of the most powerful tools for conveying emotions and feelings – especially in visual media, like films and video games. A good score connects you to the setting as a whole and grounds you to the scene; it evokes certain feelings and images, moves you to feel in a certain way. But that’s not all: music is one of the very few things that you never really forget – and it’s always connected in your brain with the feelings you had when you listened to it. And so, in many years from now, if you happen to hear a certain melody you will be brought back to that moment, to that memory. That is why we take really seriously the music of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord – and why we have tried to be as authentic as possible, asking a true medieval music band to compose and play music for the game. And it’s not a trivial task – it takes artistic talent, but also lots of research and hard work… But let’s leave that for them to explain in their own words in a special Q&A!

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/129
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Callum_TaleWorlds »

FBohler

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
Re: Dev Blog 24/10/19
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
Wasn't there a devblog about music yet?
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

Flavberg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 11:08:00 PM »
We use more than 20 instruments alternately, based on the region and period of the music we're performing.

These guys are really skilled, damn.
Upcoming Bannerlord Roleplaying server, check it out!

Mirrim

• Recruit
  • Judge not lest ye be judged
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 12:08:57 AM »
Made an account just to say this the best blog yet, and it is a fantastic choice to put such unique and thoughtful music in the game. Big ups  :party:

Captain Obvious

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Rule Britannia!
    • Steam - captainobvious99
    • Twitter - _KyleWilley_
    • Twitch.tv - Captain_Obvious99
    • YouTube - UCIuE9DwmiH2L-OVw30mZB9g
    • View Profile
    • Delorious Network
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:10:03 AM »

There was yes, but a long time ago, a good few years now, nice to have a nice little updated blog on it!

(Still waiting for my scene editor updated blog damn you Callum!)
Creator of an upcoming Bannerlord Role-Play Server, join below & read the group for more info.

FBohler

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 12:43:06 AM »

There was yes, but a long time ago, a good few years now, nice to have a nice little updated blog on it!

Did you find any relevant information in this blog rather than the band's marketing?

Captain Obvious

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Rule Britannia!
    • Twitter - _KyleWilley_
    • View Profile
    • Delorious Network
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 12:45:52 AM »

Did you find any relevant information in this blog rather than the band's marketing?

If I'm blunt about it, I didn't find it very thrilling. I scimmed over big pieces of waffle - although I did enjoy the sample of music they put in and now I have myself a new medieval music YT channel to go to! :)
Creator of an upcoming Bannerlord Role-Play Server, join below & read the group for more info.

FBohler

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 01:03:43 AM »
I found the sample a bit generic and bland... but maybe it's just me being too harsh on TW  :lol:

Kribble118

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBNWVCWF&SM&B
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 04:15:53 AM »
Love this blog, im glad to see theres going to be a variety of culture based music played by a very skilled band in the game. It'll definitely help you feel more involved in the game when you're walking through a empire castle or maybe a sturgian fort and the appropriate music is playing.

I'm glad we have a very talented band on this job. Will definitely do wonders for the game.

CKyHC

• Sergeant Knight
  • Ego sum rex Romanus et supra grammaticos
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 05:25:58 AM »
wonderful! :shock: can you remix the warband theme?  :roll:

MedievalMayonnaise

• Recruit
  • counting bodies to the rhythm of the war drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WB
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 06:54:26 AM »
Wow, just this week I made a post about how good the music sounded in that blog from way back. Glad to see you guys kept the band, Bannermusic seems like it will be a major pro for the game.

BlamBlam

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
Surely TW re- develop many aspects of the game... way back in 2015 in the blog some of You mentioned there was I guess different studio engaged in soundtrack composing (Periscope studio was it?)

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

From that blog it seemed that the work was pretty advanced- including samples of "music themes" for all the cultures etc.
Wonder if any of this stays in final game or the soundtrack was made new from the scratch at some point?

Kabraxis

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • NWWB
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
Just to be clear, we are still working with Periscope Studios for majority of our music! Ensemble Galatia are providing additional (amazing) new songs to be used in in-game environments :)

Surely TW re- develop many aspects of the game... way back in 2015 in the blog some of You mentioned there was I guess different studio engaged in soundtrack composing (Periscope studio was it?)

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

From that blog it seemed that the work was pretty advanced- including samples of "music themes" for all the cultures etc.
Wonder if any of this stays in final game or the soundtrack was made new from the scratch at some point?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:20:55 AM by Kabraxis »

Younes

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
Old blog or not, music has been a big part of the game and i'm happy TW is working with a skillful studio and gave an update if they were still working on music or not.

Captain Obvious

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Rule Britannia!
    • Twitter - _KyleWilley_
    • View Profile
    • Delorious Network
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »
Just to be clear, we are still working with Periscope Studios for majority of our music! Ensemble Galatia are providing additional (amazing) new songs to be used in in-game environments :)

Oh damn, anything that increases immersion in the game gets the big thumbs up from me!