Author Topic: Dev Blog 18/07/19  (Read 16572 times)

Callum_TaleWorlds

• Inmate #79
  • Community Manager
  • Soon™
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
Dev Blog 18/07/19
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:24:43 PM »

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is a rags to riches adventure that encourages players to forge their own path through Calradia to climb to the top of the social ladder. How, or even if, they get there is completely down to their own choices and actions within the game. In previous Mount & Blade games, this rise to power revolves around a single character, but with the introduction of permanent death and clans in Bannerlord – two new features that work hand in hand to create a deeper, more immersive experience – some of the focus needed to shift slightly away from the exploits of an individual character. This is where the topic of this week’s blog steps to the fore: renown.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/119
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Callum_TaleWorlds »

AmateurHetman

• Knight
  • Pro Fide, Lege et Rege
    • Steam - HetmanAmatorski
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WBNWWF&SM&B
Re: Dev Blog 18/07/19
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
Interesting that it’s clan renown and not individual. What if we want to be a lone traveler with no connections?

Suleimanus

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »
This looks pretty cool, I guess that some might think that the tiering system is too linear, but I would view it as a way that the game responds more to your actions, rather than simply "I know your name, and I imagine many a  widow does too."

Thank you, Callum, very cool!

Ettenrocal

• Grandmaster Knight
    • YouTube - UClD6-YQKbuKFa_YMDMKl8Fg
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »
You need to be in a clan to be a mercenary ? Why ? Otherwise the feature is great !

Redleg

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
  • Cedat Fortuna Peritis
    • View Profile
    • Taleworlds Forum- Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:33:14 PM »
This looks like a good feature.  It never made sense to me that a faction would hire the player as a leader of a mercenary band without the player first having renown and higher relationship with the faction.

Duke-

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Duke
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
Interesting that it’s clan renown and not individual. What if we want to be a lone traveler with no connections?

From the screen shot it looks like its just the player and their companions in the clan so maybe you can be a clan of one?

CKyHC

• Knight at Arms
  • Ego sum rex Romanus et supra grammaticos
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
the girl has a new armor? I have not seen it before

NPC99

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »
With each tier that the clan reaches, they are rewarded with an additional party slot, an increased companion limit, and additional caravans that can work under the clan’s tutelage.

One party slot per tier progression sounds slow. How will this work where a clan is attempting to build its own kingdom? You win a siege but can't claim ownership of the castle/town because your lack of renown limits the number of parties you can control??? [EDIT - as Rabies points out, these parties are warbands not fiefs!]

Hopefully, Playerland Clan is merely a default name that players can change to something more acceptable.

In the screenshot, both companions are described as 'going to a point'. That description is remarkably uninformative - seems equivalent to just saying travelling somewhere.

You need to be in a clan to be a mercenary ? Why ?

I suspect factions only employ mercenary clans, not individual mercenaries. Presumably also why minor faction mercenary companies are single clans.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:15:15 AM by NPC99 »

FBohler

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »
Great news, great devblog!

This and the influence system are my favorite features for sure!
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.

vicwiz007

• D
  • Squire
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 11:44:04 PM »
I'm not sold on the hardcap of things like parties or caravans, because should be other things such as money and manpower which limit those things at each stage of your game. Or if a faction is really desperate for manpower in a war, they should not be so picky as to say "pffft get your clan rank up then we'll talk". At least it looks like progression has improved 10x over from Warband. It will be really
nice working toward these things. Also good to sorta hear about how the mercenary factions.

Thanks for answering so many questions in discord Callum. Not a bad Thursday  :fruity:
Hopefully, Playerland Clan is merely a default name that players can change to something more acceptable.
Apparently this is the game Callum was playing, so it sounds likely that he made the name the same way I name my faction NoobLand :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:46:33 PM by vicwiz007 »

HUMMAN

• Master Knight
  • Gunshot Riddim
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 11:52:01 PM »
This blog is important cause of how game mechanics are intented. But i am not sure about arbitrary level up mechanics and limitations :D Hope we can micro manage more, like Warband companion system looks more complicated(that not everybody is good together)  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:51:46 AM by HUMMAN »

NPC99

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 11:52:49 PM »
Apparently this is the game Callum was playing, so it sounds likely that he made the name the same way I name my faction NoobLand :P

The 2018 Gamescom demo Encyclopaedia listed Playerland as a clan, so I'm sure it's the default name as opposed to Callum's sense of humour.  :D

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:58:02 PM by NPC99 »

supersaiyan121

• Veteran
  • Boop my nose
    • View Profile
    • fluff
  • Faction: Khergit
  • MP nick: FluffSkin
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 11:55:06 PM »
I wonder if the player will have to earn all the renown by themselves or if they have other family members doing their own thing.

vicwiz007

• D
  • Squire
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
@NPC99 Well ok perhaps you win this round, but I'm sure you will be able to rename it from this either way. For TW to force your clan name to be Playerland... it's not much of a realistic concern for me  :lol:

FBohler

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 12:08:38 AM »
It's a video game, so there will always be hard limits, even if they're well hid under the hood.
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.