Dev Blog 17/01/19

Users who are viewing this thread

[parsehtml][IMG]https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_73_taleworldswebsite.jpg[/IMG] Over the course of the past few months, one of the most commented features that we have shown in this dev blog is the use of siege engines when someone is trying to take a castle by storm -- but we didn't really go into much detail about how they work. In this week's entry of our blog, we talk with Bahar Sevket, one of our gameplay programmers, who is currently working on new mechanics for that particular area of the game and can give us some interesting insights on how siege engines will be integrated into Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. [/parsehtml]Read more at: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/93

Every bog makes me more excited about the game, and less confident about a impending release.

I'm growing pretty old.  I wonder whether my only chance at getting my grubby little hands on Bannerlord isn't applying for a job with Talesworld.

Do you guys need a nearly 60 years old programmer, twice an ACM collegiate programming World finalist, with an MIT degree in Computer Science, 14 years of playing Mount and Blade, 25 years as head of IT, and decent experience with C#? (C and C++ experience is a LOT more than decent)

Only half kidding.  What do junior programmers earn in Ankara, anyway?

tenor.gif

Settlement issues

Reading this has come to my mind as a flash, peasant revolts. Can it be true?  :fruity:

The new system of tactics in sieges has not been very clear to me, the truth...
I add siege tactics and settlement issues to the list of What else remains to be explained?

Cmon dude why all these interviews play the same, they allways talk ablout: making the game moddeable/how the game is filled with new stuff. We all know you don't hire NPCs, please stop making them say the same thing

Good blog. So, object oriented means, "not having interface" is the new "hardcoded". Looking forward for those village issues.

Oswald III said:
Cmon dude why all these interviews play the same, they allways talk ablout: making the game moddeable/how the game is filled with new stuff. We all know you don't hire NPCs, please stop making them say the same thing
Because if it will really me moddable as they are saying which will be great, then it truly takes a lot of work and thinking to make it so.

Nice blog.

Terco_Viejo said:
tenor.gif

Settlement issues

Reading this has come to my mind as a flash, peasant revolts. Can it be true?  :fruity:

The new system of tactics in sieges has not been very clear to me, the truth...
I add siege tactics and settlement issues to the list of What else remains to be explained?

What I Think is that instead of choosing which siege equipment to build one by one (Like total war games)
you will have to choose the attack tactic suitable for your current situation  For example

1)Bombardment focus: IF you are low in manpower and expect no relief to come you will build a lot of trebuchets and catapults (siege tower being the last thing built)  to damage the defenses and try to breach the wall from the strategic map.

2) Assault Focus:  You have a lot of men and you are hasty to take the castle the system will prioritize siege towers and ballistae to snipe enemies siege equipment will attacking.

3)balance Focus I guess catapults first and tower in the middle

Interesting blog. :grin:

...after adding a new feature, we always analyse if it should be something that is moddable. If it is deemed to be a moddable feature, we add corresponding interfaces and maintain our default implementation in order to create room for moddable behaviour.

Presumably:
1. Corresponding interfaces = XML data files containing default formula values that can be changed, &
2. Maintain our default implementation = isolate the default behaviour so it can be switched off and replaced with revised C# code.

I hope most features get this treatment to limit those that remain hardcoded.

Previously, a player who besieged a castle had to select what they wanted to build from a number of engines, one by one. Recently, however, we introduced a new tactics feature. Now, the player will select one of the siege tactics available and will get a preloaded waiting list for siege engines that are useful to the selected tactic.

Sounds like a much better approach to the UI.

We are currently working on something we call settlement issues. They represent conflicts in a settlement between NPCs, or general problems that may arise. These events will pop up randomly during the game and they will affect the properties of a settlement (prosperity, morale, etc.).

The player will have to find a solution to that problem in a specific timeframe using whatever means they can. Issues may lead to different quests or may encourage players to make changes to their current management style.

Great. I suspect the quests to defend friends of a notable in trial by combat fall into this settlement issues category. I’m glad that there will be more of these issues/quests adding depth to town scenes.

BTW the Battanian towns shown so far have been terraced into the sides of hills. I hope we are going to get some classic ring forts covering a whole hill as that was the implication of the previous faction blog.

Idk if I liked what was said about the selecting a tactic, I still think that being able to just select what you want built would be better. But idk maybe it’s a biased view because I haven’t seen this new method in play unlike the old method that they had shown us in one of the gameplays.

When is the next gameplay video coming out? I just want to see more of the game at least if we aren’t getting a release date any time soon.

Also sure the interviews with the people that are working on the game are needed, to give time between the blogs for them to show off the new features they have completed in the “filler” week. I get it but at least include more about what features you’ll be talking about next week and include some videos of what you’re talking about instead of a generic picture from the game. I don’t mean to be negative I’m just super exiceted about the game and I just want to get more information about it in the form of videos showing off new features not just picture.well enough of my rant.

Keep up the good work, and please show us some good stuff soon. :grin:

Gholt369 said:
Idk if I liked what was said about the selecting a tactic, I still think that being able to just select what you want built would be better. But idk maybe it’s a biased view because I haven’t seen this new method in play unlike the old method that they had shown us in one of the gameplays.

Hopefully, it’s designed to stop us ordering an expensive trebuchet which won’t be ready in time if our tactic is just to assault the castle’s main gate. For a simple gate assault, we would only need to build a battering ram with some support ballistae.

Possible siege tactics:

Quick gate assault - battering ram

Quick wall assault - ladders

Slower prepared assault - battering ram, ladders, towers and ballista (to kill defenders)

Very slow breach assault - mangonel & trebuchet (to breach walls) with ballista to suppress/kill defenders on the walls during the assault

Long term attrition (no assault) - trebuchet & ballista to kill defenders as time passes on the campaign map so the castle can be taken quicker than by starvation.

Treachery - no siege equipment necessary, if you have a traitor on the inside who can open a sally port.

Phalnax811 said:
Would've been nice to have a screen or two or video or two of such siege engines.......

There’s a whole blog on siege engines:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1651007267220575513

And you can see some of them inaction in the 2016 siege videos.

It is clear, to me, that there is much left to do.
Too bad this blog didn't come out a year ago, as it shows in the subject line. "Re: Dev Blog 17/01/18"

Furthermore, recent blogs are really scant on information about the game. I am glad she likes Nature and has stand-up meetings every day, but that's not the kind of information I would like to know.

To see how to communicate with the community about development, take a look at the game Factorio. Every Friday a detailed technical description is published in their forum about something being developed. Although there are no dates specified, there is enough information to know what is being worked on and what is left to do.

Just look at it positively, perhaps a lack of information can also mean "why bother telling them about this when it will get released soon anyway? Let them figure it out for themselves". 

Interesting blog but each week they keep adding new features/improve old ones so i'm starting really think this is far from finish...  :???: They said previously they ended the phase of remaking old things but it seems not.

Blead said:
Just look at it positively, perhaps a lack of information can also mean "why bother telling them about this when it will get released soon anyway? Let them figure it out for themselves".
Given how long development has taken with a release date not even on the horizon what we really need is a "This is where we are in development" blog.

Back
Top Bottom