OSP Medieval 2D Art maw's Shield Pack

Users who are viewing this thread

maw

Sergeant Knight at Arms
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=754

###############################
UPDATE: more shields 05/27

i think i'm all shielded out. anyone want to offer some shields, pm me.

#############################################

works for 960/1.003

mmmmm.... shields.... i love shields....

something i'm doing while waiting for v.95x module source code.

anyhow, 415+ shields slapped together from internet sources. the only thing i did here was the skinning. took me about 25 hours.

some have been done before by others in the community. i prolly shoulda asked to scarf them, but i was having fun learning how to skin.

no pics yet. too busy. but there are some fine shields, particularly for sea raiders, swads, and steppes. if someone wants to post some in game screenies, have at it.

i'm developing a concept i call 'Unified Modding Resources', and in the future i'd like to develop and update compilations of mod brf's and skins for Shields, Weapons, Armors, and Horses - adding whoever submits to the project. i'd like to see 500+ items in each category for modders to use at will if they wish. we'll see.

fun for all. use in any mod, as you wish. no need to ask permission.  i'd like to stroke my ego by seeing it in the credits, but its up to you.

enjoy. maw

Great stuff, maw. I hope this items will be included in new release of M3:Sellsword.

many good ones, but some are very pixelated, is that on purpose to reduce memory use or file size?

Chel said:
many good ones, but some are very pixelated, is that on purpose to reduce memory use or file size?

prolly both. shrink to fit.

look, i am a content guy... and i can't stand each file being 2 meg, so i shrunk it. otherwise, i'd have a 50 meg file of graphics, which on most computers, takes a heckova time to load and as well as maintain in resident memory.

full graphics packs need to be developed for modders ease of use, in my unasked-for uninformed opinion.

perhaps, if someone is more interested, they can put together a 'hi-res' version.

just for you jaded graphics monkeys. maw

why, yes - its done in BRF v8.3 which works for m&b v903.

sorry, shoulda mentioned that up front.

i'm not bothering to convert to the newest brf until i see some kind of python source. just meh.

even so, you can import them into the newest brf, but you have to manually add the materials and texture addresses. seems there are extra fields in the newest m&b so you can't import the materials and textures directly.

maw

Ohh, just saw this. Dling now.  :grin:

EDIT: Maybe you could put them into several BRFs. It takes ages to load. (Not even sure it would load, it was going really jerky)

I took a peek at the textures though, and they look really sweet. Will probably nab some for HYW, with your permission of course.  :smile:

maw said:
i'm developing a concept i call 'Unified Modding Resources', and in the future i'd like to develop and update compilations of mod brf's and skins for Shields, Weapons, Armors, and Horses - adding whoever submits to the project. i'd like to see 500+ items in each category for modders to use at will if they wish. we'll see.

Great idea.  Seems a lot of promising mods fizzle out waiting for that flaky guy to do some models.

i'v got some more, but i think i'm gonna wait till i've got at least another hundred (i'm at 34 more now).... plus, i think i'll take Llew's advice and brealk it up into round, battle, cavalry, and tear shields....

any of you fine modders have shields you want to submit for open source, pm me. maw

Corvus said:
Very nice

only one problem - item limit in M&B of 950 items  :evil: that needs changing!

true, but when adding via the python source, you can add up to 16 meshes to an itm_whatever, and tag them with  whatever modification (0, imodbit_heavy, imodbit_watered_steel, imodbit_whatever)... so you could effectively extend the number of in-game brf's to about 16,000 if you have a lot of time and were really bored...

i don't remember if when you assign all of them to zero it selects sequentially, randomly, or the first brf ignoringa ll that follows. something i need to refresh my memory, i guess.

as i'm screwing with all the round shields, i put in all my raider shields in four itm_raider1, raider2, etc. with six to eight shields each... really mixes it up... same with armors, so as to avoid tapping out the limit.... you mentioned 950 but i believe i got 1023 item addressess the last time i tested it...

so you can drive up the number of shield without taking up too many slots by putting similar shields into the same itm_whatever.

i point out simnce the limit on the troop items is 64, this allows huge variety when putting together a loadout, for variablity in a troop class... i always thought having troops deploy with a few different kinds of weaposn, shields, or armor looked kind of... gamey... so i try to max out the eyecandy without taking up itm slots. this especially works for shields.

in any case, glad ya'll enjoy.... just finished porting them over to .953 when .954 was released - i'll try to insure compatability before i dump it... gotta do some screenies, ya know - advertisement... maw

in my case, i hand-jammed them into the item_kinds1.text file, taking about 3 or four hours, and still with an occaisonal bug (a partiuclar sword keeps popping in as a good, and isn't used by the troops, for instance).

as far as 'upgrading', if the source don't get to me soon, i'll dump a mod that has edited item_kinds 1, troops, and parties test files, with supprting meshes and dds files.

hey! just got 5 new horses inta the game. heh. think i'll put all of them in; think Heraldic Calradia will mind? best i ask perms, eh? got Luigi's Weapons Pack and my shields in. so.... we'll see.

but i will dump the shields soon. just gotta break them up into edible sections.

maw - putting the FU back into fun!

damn. i never want to be asked that. but.... here goes:

1. get and install the latest BRF editor, in the modding tools section of Mod Development. i usually just put it in a directory within the most current version of m&b i'm working with

2. download the shield pack, unpack it to a directory using winzip or whatever.

3. copy the brf called mod_shields to the resource directory of the mod you're working in. ** i recommend you copy the native mod directand rename it ***. copyy all the graphic dds files to the Textures directory

4. when mod_shields is in the resource directory, open it using the latest version of brf editor. then save it. there will be a box that pops up and says that this brf is not in module whatever, want to add it? press yes.

5. then you have to get into the mod directory again, and open up item_kinds1.txt. copy a similar shield, and append it to the end of the file, being attentive not to add any extra spaces. for evey item you add, you must add a number to the list limit at the top - i believe it starts at 400 - otherwise the m&b program won't recognize any items after - if your number is too great you'll get an error as it looks for items that aren't there.

6. make you changes, and save. they'll pop up in game.

*i fully expect to be barraged with questions about this - but i reccomend you just screw around with it a few hours like i did. eventually, if you can pour yourself a drink, you can figure this out. maw

Could someone add this to what I write in item_kinds1? Please;]  and whether it is possible the introduction of these shield to version 1.011  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom