Top Five most influential

Users who are viewing this thread

Merentha said:
Alfred said:
doorknobdeity said:
Genghis Khan-- the Mongol Empire covered a huge area, influenced even more areas, and changed things dramatically for most of the area it covered.
So how did they influence the nowadays? Except for Moskau, of course.
Indirectly, they changed the political and cultural background of the entire eastern segment of Europe and the Middle East.  They also completely altered the course of Chinese, well, everything. 

And apparently you cant swing a bat without hitting someone with some genetic connection with Genghis.
Horny fellah.  :smile:

Elvis didn't do jack. He simply played the black guys music live since the white guys wouldn't let the black guys play it.

Buxton said:
Elvis didn't do jack. He simply played the black guys music live since the white guys wouldn't let the black guys play it.

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the golden age of Harlem and Jazz/blues in the 1920's, featuring quite prominent black musicians? I don't think Elvis was even born then.

Yeah, but it wasn't as popular as rock and roll and rather more frowned upon by your conservative granny. Guess why?

The only reason Elvis released any records at all was because the music industry was looking for a white man who could sing and dance like a black man. Elvis was the first they found, so he got catapulted to stardom.

Alfred said:
pentagathus said:
Thats a fairly pointless thing to say. Noone matters sfter enough time.
1) Whichever of the first monkey people decided to use tools.
2)Whichever of the fisrt monkey people decided to group together instead of running away when attacked
And so forth.
Wow, I'm guessing you are a single male without any friends. XD Just kidding, mate. You really like fellow humans, do you? :razz:
You got the male part right. I think :grin:
Is this for the world in general or specific parts of the world anyway?

Cirdan said:
Yeah, but it wasn't as popular as rock and roll and rather more frowned upon by your conservative granny. Guess why?

The only reason Elvis released any records at all was because the music industry was looking for a white man who could sing and dance like a black man. Elvis was the first they found, so he got catapulted to stardom.

And because I'm related to him on my mom's side.

Steel said:
1. Adam
2. Eva
3. Marnid
4. Ymira
5. King Harlaus, because of conquering all Caldaria

What?

Here's my five.

1. Zarathustra (Pioneered what could be considered to be the first monotheistic religion with the concept of "free will")
2. Gengis Khan (Possibly responsible for the development of trade links between the East and West)
3. Charles Darwin (Radically changed the thought of man on his origins)
4. Galileo (The world is round...)
5. George Orwell (Elevated political writing a new standard and influenced the way in which English is written with his six basic rules)

In no particular order..

1. Mohammed
2. Alexander the Great
3. Julius Caesar
4. Isaac Newton
5. Socrates (and his students)
6. Napoleon I
7. Charlemagne
8. Genghis Khan
9. Martin Luther
10. Heraclius

Lots of others though.

I think that Louis Pasteur deserves to be in the top 3 of anybody's list. 

Seriously- he accomplished some absurdly big advances in the fields of chemistry, medicine, and biology.

Much more so than Darwin, who's theory of evolution was a logical progression that was being written about by another at the same time.

sum1won said:

Seriously- he accomplished some absurdly big advances in the fields of chemistry, medicine, and biology.

Much more so than Darwin, who's theory of evolution was a logical progression that was being written about by another at the same time.

Darwins theory had far reaching consequences across the entire field of science and philosophy though, Pasteur didn't.

Archonsod said:
sum1won said:

Darwins theory had far reaching consequences across the entire field of science and philosophy though, Pasteur didn't.

I can't say that I agree entirely.  While Darwin's theory had far reaching consequences in the sciences and philosophy, he wasn't the only one of his time coming up with that theory (see Alferd Russel Wallace).  Pasteur made a number of his significant contributions alone (like discovering crystal chirality, which is vital to huge stretches of modern chemistry) - or was the only one to desicevely prove it, such as when he refuted spontaneous generation.  Pasteur's were actually far more significant in the practical applications of science than Darwins- Darwin told us where we come from and why, but that affected people's lives more because of the philosophical aspects than the scientific applications.
Pasteur, on the other hand, basically opened up microbiology to the world by creating germtheory.  BTW, apart from the loftier things this lead to, it also allowed for much larger brewing and fermenting enterprises.
After he more or less started the field of microbiology with several desicive proofs, he went on from there to bacteriology, (which is BIG in medicine, as you can imagine) and actually created some of the first systematic vaccines, though he fudged the notes on anthrax.

Anyways, sorry if I got a little overexcited/pushy.  I just think that some historical figures are a lot more replaceable than others, you know?

1. God
2. Jesus
3. Satan

No idea about the rest, don't feel like coming up with anything, but I'm pretty sure that those I mentioned have been very influential.

sum1won said:
I can't say that I agree entirely.  While Darwin's theory had far reaching consequences in the sciences and philosophy, he wasn't the only one of his time coming up with that theory (see Alferd Russel Wallace). 
No, but it was his theory that was adopted. I'd argue that in the present his theory has affected everything from archeology to astrophysics, genetics to geology. It's contribution to medicine alone are probably as important as Pasteur - without Darwin, you can say goodbye to our understanding of genetics, even germ theory itself utilises some of the core concepts of evolution.

It's just that only one of them actually exists, and he's about equally influential with Muhammad.
Only one of them may have existed. All three lack anything in the way of objective evidence :razz:

Archonsod said:
It's just that only one of them actually exists, and he's about equally influential with Muhammad.
Only one of them may have existed. All three lack anything in the way of objective evidence :razz:

I hope you (or Naridill) weren't being serious about Jesus not existing. That's probably the silliest thing I've read all day.

Tankai said:
It doesn't matter what he did.
Merentha said:
His death was entirely ignored until about 250 CE and even then it was more important in the sense that other people used his name for rallying points, rather than anything he actually did. 

I'm gasping in incredulity. I mean, I guess it depends on what belief system you ascribe to but Jesus not doing anything? Being ignored until 250? Him not even existing?

There's some shoddy historicity at work here.

My four important people (because I don't want to keep procrastinating)
1. Jesus the Christ of Nazareth (That should indicate my feelings on the matter)
2. Muhammed
3. Charles Darwin
4. Gutenburg

Naridill said:
Nemesis said:
1. God
2. Jesus
3. Satan

No idea about the rest, don't feel like coming up with anything, but I'm pretty sure that those I mentioned have been very influential.

So what if they don't exist? They can still be influential. As you can well see in the world.

Um. The Gospels were written by four men, so ... there's that. They were inspired men when they wrote, but they were still people. Even the Jesus Seminar people do confirm that Jesus was an actual person. Paul writes about him; the church father's write about him.

Josephus mentions him (although there are some obvious additions by Christian editors, later. It's quite interesting what they added to :wink: ). The Talmud mentions him (as a sorcerer and a conjurer, too, actually; this is important because it confirms he did miracles.)

Tacitus mentions him.

That's... pretty good for an otherwise anonymous rabbi who was executed three years into his ministry.

Back
Top Bottom