How to fix "Python not recognized..." (now also for Windows 7)

Users who are viewing this thread

vuk said:
Tried all the different ways, restarted my comp, everything. Can anyone tell me why it is not working?

Try this instead:

Right click on build_module.bat and click edit. Change the contents to this:

@echo off
set OLDPATH=%PATH%
set PATH="C:\Python25";%PATH%

python process_init.py
python process_global_variables.py
python process_strings.py
python process_skills.py
python process_music.py
python process_animations.py
python process_meshes.py
python process_sounds.py
python process_skins.py
python process_map_icons.py
python process_factions.py
python process_items.py
python process_scenes.py
python process_troops.py
python process_particle_sys.py
python process_scene_props.py
python process_tableau_materials.py
python process_presentations.py
python process_party_tmps.py
python process_parties.py
python process_quests.py
python process_scripts.py
python process_mission_tmps.py
python process_game_menus.py
python process_simple_triggers.py
python process_dialogs.py
python process_global_variables_unused.py

set PATH=%OLDPATH%
@del *.pyc
echo.
echo ______________________________
echo.
echo Script processing has ended.
echo Press any key to exit. . .
pause>nul

Then try it.

Fei Dao said:
vuk said:
Tried all the different ways, restarted my comp, everything. Can anyone tell me why it is not working?

Try this instead:

Right click on build_module.bat and click edit. Change the contents to this:

@echo off
set OLDPATH=%PATH%
set PATH="C:\Python25";%PATH%

python process_init.py
python process_global_variables.py
python process_strings.py
python process_skills.py
python process_music.py
python process_animations.py
python process_meshes.py
python process_sounds.py
python process_skins.py
python process_map_icons.py
python process_factions.py
python process_items.py
python process_scenes.py
python process_troops.py
python process_particle_sys.py
python process_scene_props.py
python process_tableau_materials.py
python process_presentations.py
python process_party_tmps.py
python process_parties.py
python process_quests.py
python process_scripts.py
python process_mission_tmps.py
python process_game_menus.py
python process_simple_triggers.py
python process_dialogs.py
python process_global_variables_unused.py

set PATH=%OLDPATH%
@del *.pyc
echo.
echo ______________________________
echo.
echo Script processing has ended.
echo Press any key to exit. . .
pause>nul

Then try it.

YES!! Thank you so muh again Fei! You saved me one more time! It is working now.

okay, It's just not working for me. I have Vista, and everything I've seen on here does not work. it still says Python not recognized as a blah blah blah...
I have rebooted my computer, and I have reinstalled it. it's just not working. any more tips?

vuk said:

Although you have solved your problem with a different approach, let me point out the erroneous thing in your previous setting: You had created a variable named "Python". Instead, you should have added C:\Python25 to your path under system variables (it is visible in your screenshot).

LCJr said:
OK so you've got the module system and the first time to try to do anything you get "python not recognized as internalexternal command, operable program or batch file.".

Here's how you getting working for Windows 2000 and XP.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".  Next select the "Advanced" tab and click on "Environmental Variables".

screenshot1

In the top window, user variables, select "New".  In the pop up window that comes up give the variable a name and enter the path where Python is installed preceded by a semicolon.  Then click "OK".
For this example the variable is given the name "Python" and Python is installed in C:\Python25.

screenshot2

When you're done it should look like this.  Then click on "OK" to close all windows.

screenshot3

If you're using an older version of Windows or can't follow these instructions go to http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/#how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

Instructions for Vista.
http://www.neuralwiki.org/index.php?title=Guide_to_installing_Python_in_Windows_Vista

lol i asked the same question yesterday and was solved buh on the module documentation we should ask a mod to edit it cuz it says put in python24 instead of 25

By lots of thinking on winXP, i figured out that if nothing else works, copy content of python folder to ModuleSystem folder.
That was my problem solved!

Mad Skillz said:
okay, It's just not working for me. I have Vista, and everything I've seen on here does not work. it still says Python not recognized as a blah blah blah...
I have rebooted my computer, and I have reinstalled it. it's just not working. any more tips?

Try to exchange the Forwardshlashes with backshlashes.

I'll try that, thanks.

EDIT: I am the stupidest person I know. it's all working now, because I just downloaded the module system. not python. now I just finished downloading Python and now I'm starting on my Mongol Invasion Mod. of course keeping my best idea for 1.0...

I just installed Python and did both this tutorial and the Python website walk through.
I was having the same problems described here and took a short break then re -looked at everything, and found the problem in the python instructions indicated path for python24 and THe latest download was python 25, heck there was no path location LOL. Simple fix, yet elusive at times that one little typo from reading different walkthroughs.
I also placed the statement in path att he beginning of the path, C:\python25; C:\otherpathfolders;.....
Adding the New variable was also necessary, sorry I cannot get a screenshot here... yet
Hope this helps someone out 

Tromble

Mirimus said:
I have done this .... still failing

i went to enviroment variables and typed in ;C:\Pythoon25
then restarted

any ideas on what to do next would be much apprechiated

look for the video that says adding python to DOS Path tutorial video

heres link http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=960000&fromSeriesID=96

i think this is for xp and 2000 or w/e

this worked for me

FOR VISTA USERS!!

Hey people, i've seen loads of people asking about the problem when you're using vista -- assuming that it doesnt matter which version of vista, the following should sort it out:
  • Install whichever version of python as normal
  • Simply copy and paste the python.exe and python.dll files into the ModuleSystem folder and all should be well
  • (The environment variables didn't seem to do anything until i copied these files, but i'd do it anyway to be sure)

PM me if you have any issues  :grin:

smokeys said:
FOR VISTA USERS!!

Hey people, i've seen loads of people asking about the problem when you're using vista -- assuming that it doesnt matter which version of vista, the following should sort it out:
  • Simply copy and paste the python.exe and python.dll files into the ModuleSystem folder and all should be well
  • (The environment variables didn't seem to do anything until i copied these files, but i'd do it anyway to be sure)

Hey, that's pretty smart, thanks. Only, after this, I got errno 13: "permission denied" so I ran it as administrator only then "it doesn't recognize Python as internal or external command, programme, or BAT"  and that's the same it said before I had the .exes and .dlls in the ModuleSystem folder.  :eek: I'm getting quite confused.

FrisianDude said:
smokeys said:
FOR VISTA USERS!!

Hey, that's pretty smart, thanks. Only, after this, I got errno 13: "permission denied" so I ran it as administrator only then "it doesn't recognize Python as internal or external command, programme, or BAT"  and that's the same it said before I had the .exes and .dlls in the ModuleSystem folder.  :eek: I'm getting quite confused.

The exact thing is happening to me now its pissing me off :evil:

sorry about the language guys

I managed by adding ;C:\Python25 to the 'Path' variable in XP SP2. Just like a poster suggested earlier.

LCJr said:
OK so you've got the module system and the first time to try to do anything you get "python not recognized as internalexternal command, operable program or batch file.".

Here's how you getting working for Windows 2000 and XP.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties".  Next select the "Advanced" tab and click on "Environmental Variables".

screenshot1

In the top window, user variables, select "New".  In the pop up window that comes up give the variable a name and enter the path where Python is installed preceded by a semicolon.  Then click "OK".
For this example the variable is given the name "Python" and Python is installed in C:\Python25.

screenshot2

When you're done it should look like this.  Then click on "OK" to close all windows.

screenshot3

If you're using an older version of Windows or can't follow these instructions go to http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/#how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

Instructions for Vista.
http://www.neuralwiki.org/index.php?title=Guide_to_installing_Python_in_Windows_Vista

Hi There,

I've tried everything but cannot get windows to recognise Python. I've read this thread and tried the various things suggested. I've spent 2 hours on this and am still failing. I just wondered if anyone had come up with any other fixes? Sorry to ask, but cannot get this working. MY OS is Windows XP. Thanks in advance and apologies again . . .

EDIT: Apologies - now I got it working. Although I'm using XP, I had to use the Vista option for Python. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom