SP Medieval Norman Invasion (recruiting,new items pg4).

Users who are viewing this thread

The module system has been released and I've putted myself at work.(I'll post an update log soon)

Actually I'm looking(still for a modeller-texturer)for historical researches about troops of the factions,general welfare,eminent characters(do not necessarily need to be
hardened warriors,they could be artists or monks or whatever)and important events that happened from 1046 to the 1070 in the southern Italy,or somewhat related to it.
Ospreys or images will be extremely useful too.

I could do that on my own,but it would save me a lot of time.

Here is what i found, hope it helps
Intro:
The Moors ruled Sicily for two centuries and a few decades but their influence was nothing short of monumental. Under their administration, the island's population doubled as dozens of towns were founded and cities repopulated. The Arabs changed Sicilian agriculture and cuisine. Their scientific and engineering achievements were remarkable. More significantly, they changed society itself. To this day, many Sicilian social attitudes reflect the profound influence --often in subtle ways-- of the Arabs who ruled a thousand years ago but who (with the Greeks and others) are the ancestors of today's Sicilians.
The Arabs introduced superior irrigation systems; some of their qanats (channels) still flow under Palermo. They established the Sicilian silk industry, and at the court of the Norman monarch Roger II great Arab thinkers like the geographer Abdullah al Idrisi were welcome. Agriculture became more varied and more efficient, with the widespread introduction of rice, sugar cane, cotton and oranges. This, in turn, influenced Sicilian cuisine. Many of the most popular Sicilian foods trace their origins to the Arab period.

900 to 1150:
Dozens of towns were founded or resettled during the Saracen era, and souks (suks, or street markets) became more common than before. Bal'harm (Palermo) was repopulated and became one of the largest Arab cities after Baghdad and Cordoba (Cordova), and one of the most beautiful. Construction on Bal'harm's al-Khalesa district built near the sea was begun in 937 by Khalid Ibn Ishaq, who was then Governor of Sicily. Despite later estimates of a greater population, there were probably about two hundred thousand residents in and around this city by 1050, and it was the capital of Saracen Sicily. Bal'harm was the official residence of the Governors and Emirs of All Sicily, and al-Khalesa (now the Kalsa district) was its administrative center. As we've mentioned, in 948 the Fatimids granted a degree of autonomy to the Kalbid dynasty, whose last "governor" (effectively a hereditary emir), Hasan II (or Al-Samsan), ruled until 1053. By then, Kasyr Yanni (Enna), Trapani, Taormina and Syracuse were also self-declared, localized "emirates." (This word was sometimes used rather loosely to describe any hereditary ruler of a large locality; in law Sicily had been a unified emirate governed from Palermo since 948, but by the 1050s the others had challenged his authority over them.)

Byzantium hadn't forgotten Sicily, and in 1040 George Maniakes, at the head of an army of Byzantine-Greeks, Normans, Vikings and Lombards, attempted an invasion of Sicily without success. By the 1050s, the Pope, and some Norman knights from this failed adventure, were casting a long glance toward Sicily with an eye to conquest. This desire was later fueled by dissension among the island's Arabs, leading to support by the Emir of Syracuse for the Normans against the emirates of Enna and North meets South and East meets West in Palermo in 1148. Tomb inscriptions in Latin, Greek, Hebrew and Arabic.Palermo. Most of these internal problems developed after the ruling Fatimids moved their capital from Tunisia to Egypt, where they established Cairo (near ancient Memphis).

Also the Saracens had very strong archers, and the Sultanate of Sicilia did had control over all sicily for 2 centuries and a half, until they became divided into 3 Emirates, then the Normans came and found them easy prays, I don't khow why Saracens always get divided but that's the same reason they got pushed out of Iberia.

Anyway i'm from Morocco and i khow more about Andalous(Moorish Iberia) than about the Emirate of Sicily because i have Andalusian roots myself  :cool:

Good luck with the mod my friend!

@Hicham: really useful informations,thanks.What about their troops,do you have any information about them?Light or heavy cavalry,no cavalry...things like that.Because I wasn't able to find nothing about them yet.

@Nikephoros: Sent you a pm...

Okay here is what i found about the army:

They had light cavalry:  fast horses, no armor on them (horses), wore light armor, bows and scimitars with a shield.

And heavy cavalry but the heavy cavalry they are somewhat not widespread and in a way equal to european knights of the time, armed with lances and scimitars, sometimes bows. They were called Fursans
equipment:
Quoted: Most faris wore a hauberk of chain-mail or lamellar metal plates. This would be worn beneath a garment. Mail hauberks were known as dir and scale cuirasses were called jawshan. Some warriors wore two suits of armour. Helmets such as the baydah - the ‘egg helmet’ were popular. The riders face might be protected by a curtain, or aventail, of chain-mail.
There were many different types of shield - many faris carried the circular tur whilst others bore shields that resembled those of Knights.
The lance was an important weapon. Muslim warriors practised a two-handed style of lance-wielding, where a blow could allegedly transfix an opponent through two layers of mail.
Maces were aswell widely spread so they could crush good quality armours.

Archers: Very skilled archers also khown for their exellent use of the composite bow, light armor for fast deployment and retreat (increase in athletics skill) (It is said that there was a small number of women archers within the ranks not beyond 300 but anyway this information isn't 100% corrrect)

Infantry:
They used lances with big shields, Scimitars with small shield (size 40-50)
both heavy and light armors, you could always get some troops names from eastern armies they are similar in some points

And as for every army there was a flagcarrier.

Did i forgot something?  :neutral:

Hope this helps! :wink:

Here are two helmets that Nikephoros did:

http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elmin2cx6.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=elminjy5.jpg

Here's the latest version of the masked norman helm.

And some byzantine new entries:

a cavalry helmet

an infantry helmet (please remember that every model\texture is still on a beta stage)

And finally a byzantine Spathion and a saracen sword (the size of the blade is based on the actual hilt-blade ratio, and it will probably be modified once in game):

I've tried to get the alpha out for today,but failed :oops:.
Anyway,I'll try to release it once I come back(two weeks).

@Tostig:Sent you a pm.

Please can the developer tell me When will this mod will be ready for the 0.960 version???

Byzantine ''ΒΑCΙΛΕΥC ΚΑΙ ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΩΡ'' Danny, Thank you!  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom