Whistle your horse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tobias

Recruit
Make your horse come to you when you're dismounted (in battle).

Apologies if suggested before.

I agree thats a bloody good idea but the only problem is your horse would most likely be hacked to pieces getting to you.

Note to self: Do not read any posts that have epileptic signatures.

This was suggested once before i believe. People generally think it's a bit silly to whistle for a horse while a whole bunch of noisy murderers are sticking loud axes into screaming yahoos and all that.

Some horse people stated that horses do come to the person if it is trainet to "obey the whistle"... but in battle. Maybe the best horses, but I think it is fine as it is, and whistling the horse feels like an athmosphere breaker for me, even if it was realistic.

Well, it's already pretty unrealistic that your horse stays in place if you dismount during a hectic battle.. so while I think it's kind of silly, I wouldn't mind it being implemented. Seems reasonable for gameplay reasons. There certainly are more annoying illogical things going on in M&B... :smile:

MMad said:
Well, it's already pretty unrealistic that your horse stays in place if you dismount during a hectic battle.. so while I think it's kind of silly, I wouldn't mind it being implemented. Seems reasonable for gameplay reasons. There certainly are more annoying illogical things going on in M&B... :smile:
Supposedly, they were trained to stay in one place back then. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not so sure they'd continue to stay in one place if they saw their rider killed, but in any case, supposedly it's realistic as it is now.

As far as whistling goes, I don't think it'd be an atmosphere-breaker, but I do think the whistling should have a limited range. You might be able to summon your horse from, say, 50 feet away, but not from the other side of the battlefield. It would be handy for those times when you dismount, run to a good position for using a bow or crossbow, then want to get back on your horse to move to another area.

Stop saying that something is unrealistic, its a game for christs sakes set in some unknown world and your talking about unrealistic.There could be goblins in tuxedos and that could be realistic in that world.

Stop saying that it's unrealistic when you've never ridden a horse in your life! :???:

Yes, horses can be trained to come when you call. I know some very nice mares who will come when I call their name, and I know others who come to their owner's whistle (they're almost always trained to a distinctive whistle). Also, a horse trained to stay, WILL stay. If you put a knot in the reins on a horse trained to western saddle, it'll pretty much stay where it's put. You may also assume that you've tied your horse to a shrub that just hasn't been rendered.

On the other hand, almost no one does this with studs (stallions) -and for good reason!
You do NOT dismout a stud and leave him be. You do NOT try to make a stud come when you call. You do not do this because while most horses have a "flight!" response to anything they don't like, studs have the "FIGHT or flight" response -and often choose FIGHT! They might like YOU just fine, but they might not like your friends, or that tree beside them, or some other horse, or an enemy! And, just maybe, he might REALLY like a mare that somebody happens to be riding! And a wild, horny, andgyr horse with all five legs flailing will cause a HELL of a mess in the battle lines. Everybody's battle lines. :shock:

So, I would suggest the horse whistle an option, but only for sumpter horses, saddle horses, step horses and (possibly, but probably) hunters. Coursers, Warhorses and Chargers should not have this option avalable -and seriously, if you'r riding one of them, you shouldn't be dismounting on purpose in the first place.

Yeah, I don't care too much about realisism but the whisting for the horse should be reserved for the Lone Ranger, I wouldn't like it.

Whistling is highly practical in gameplay purposes and not unrealistic. I mean horses can be trained to chase people down and trample them, you can train a horse to do anything within reason. Keep in mind also that this is a fictitious land, the doctrines of cavalry warfare will not be identical to our world.

Another thing, were I a knight, I would not want to be clanking about chasing my horse trying to jump on. Just as a horse may be trained to stay put or at least stay within range of its rider in an intense battle, there is no reason it couldn't be trained to charge into the fray, so that the rider may jump on and be taken from the swords of marauding footmen.

Forget the lone ranger stuff, calling your mount to you would not only be possible when applied to appropiate context, realistic or gameplay related: but it would be smart in many of the situations possible in Mount and Blade. I'm all for mount calling whether it be whistellng, or serenading with a lute and a loving song.

Destichado said:
Stop saying that it's unrealistic when you've never ridden a horse in your life!   :???:

Yes, horses can be trained to come when you call.  I know some very nice mares who will come when I call their name, and I know others who come to their owner's whistle (they're almost always trained to a distinctive whistle).  Also, a horse trained to stay, WILL stay.  If you put a knot in the reins on a horse trained to western saddle, it'll pretty much stay where it's put.  You may also assume that you've tied your horse to a shrub that just hasn't been rendered.

On the other hand, almost no one does this with studs (stallions) -and for good reason!  
You do NOT dismout a stud and leave him be.  You do NOT try to make a stud come when you call.  You do not do this because while most horses have a "flight!" response to anything they don't like, studs have the "FIGHT or flight" response -and often choose FIGHT!  They might like YOU just fine, but they might not like your friends, or that tree beside them, or some other horse, or an enemy!  And, just maybe, he might REALLY like a mare that somebody happens to be riding!  And a wild, horny, andgyr horse with all five legs flailing will cause a HELL of a mess in the battle lines.  Everybody's battle lines.  :shock:

So, I would suggest the horse whistle an option, but only for sumpter horses, saddle horses, step horses and (possibly, but probably) hunters.  Coursers, Warhorses and Chargers should not have this option avalable -and seriously, if you'r riding one of them, you shouldn't be dismounting on purpose in the first place.

I'm fairly certain stallions were rarely ridden into battle. They can be a bit too, er, spirited for use in combat. Unless my memory is failing more than I thought, most warhorses were mares or geldings.

1) Horses can be easily trained to obey / run off and come back using verbal / other commands - fact and realistic
2) Stallions can be trained just as well, however it usually takes longer / more difficult. I won't bother going into the mechanics, but usually due to such training, the stallion is likely to become a one-man horse (ie. will only see the trainer as his master). This once again greatly depends on an individual's horses temperament, since you could enconter very similar problems with mares / geldings during training (although rightfully said, it would be less likely)
3) Horses (stallions / geldings / mares ) in general, could develop a natural response to defend the person on their backs by any means nessesary, although this is rare in today's world, because everyone associated with horses spends a lot less time with them, only think about horses as sport, and sell / buy several horses in a few years. It is true however, that this type of a 'bond' will occur faster with stallions, since it is a part of their natural herd behaviour.
4) Horses are a lot more intelligent than people assume. In other words, a stallion would not go after a mare during a battle, or under any other circumstances if trained correctly and/or if he is busy defending himself or his human.
5) Just one more point regarding staying still - although being a combination of all of the above. A horse is likely to remain near his master during such a situation, so infact it would be more likely that the horse would attempt to follow the human he knows during a battle, possibly even trying to defend himself and the human, rather than running away through unfamiliar fighting mess. This obviously can vary slightly on the relationship the horse and rider share, and the training.

Hopefully that evens out most of the arguments. Now for the actual post -

I have no problem with this, except that it would take a while to train a horse to do this. (which brings us back to training horses thread). I would personally suggest the following: Horses can gain experience, with each level providing a 'training point' that you can place in the stats, or save it up for further commands that may require more than 1 point (hence realistically speaking, take time to train).

So for example rearing may cost 5 points, whistling can cost 4 points, while the stats can cost 1 point each etc.

I have updated the Enhancing Horses thread with this system in the initial post, so its explained further there.

I like all of your ideas Volkier.
In terms of training a horse to obey you being a large investment in time, I really don't see why people wouldn't do this. From my reading, I gather that War Horses or Destriers, were like Feraris in the day. They cost far more than any non noble could possibly earn in a lifetime, many lifetimes in fact. So it would make sense that a rider would spend a lot of time with their horse, training and bonding.

Instead of a guy washing and waxing his car every weekend, you'd have a knight playing fetch with his horse or something. Okay, not fetch, but teaching the horse tricks that could save him and its life in battle. One of these, would undoubtedly involve getting the horse to go, or stay in a location most beneficial to the rider and horse.

Calling the horse for example, by reckoning, would be extremely useful and one of the first things a horse should be taught.

Thing is, I strongly feel that the only way to accomplish this would be:
A) on behalf of the player actually spending time and effort in training the horse
B) not forced upon the player, if they just want to jump on a horse untill it dies, and then jump on the next going through 10 horses a day - mainly to avoid arguments between the players like ourselves ::razz:
Hence why I think it should be a trainable skill per horse, taking a while to master ::smile:

Back
Top Bottom