New Horses Textures Thread!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

I really hope this could become a big thing

Mount & Blade, without doubt, features the greatest mounted combat any game has ever attempted to create
yet it does not have a sufficient horse variety to back it up(in my opinion at least)

I have just recently(1 hour ago) decided to make my own horses, unsatisfied with the current lack of variety

What I noticed was that one horse texture is only around  200kb, compared to a total of 119,338KB of texture the game currently uses
every one more horse is only a fraction of a second to the loading time
and I would sacrifice a fraction of a second anyday to see another horse in the game

What I'm proposing here is that everyone who think that there should be more horses, anyone who WANT more horses:
1)go to google
2)find your favourite horse (sideview)
3)download the picture
4)paste it over the original Mount&Blade horse texture with photoshop (make sure eyes are lined up, and may have to move legs around)
5)UPLOAD IT AND POST IT HERE :razz:(maybe with a picture of how it looks in 3d if you know how)

or if you don't know how to do all that just post sideview photos of horses and it'll help!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this gets big enough the developers might start putting those horses into the game!!!

If they don't I'll gather good ones and make a giant horse pack(the horse's name will be your account name!!)

UPDATE: Horses I currently finished:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]URL=http://imageshack.us]
galluscharger1fu3.png
[/URL]

Great looking horses by predak:
chocolatehorsea.jpg
bayhorsea.jpg
palominohorsea.jpg

I should start it off...

for hunters

Texture(copy paste into dds file):

3D:

I just realized its complicated to upload dds file so copy paste the texture into a new bmp file(microsoft paint) and just upload the picture

edit: picture was in thumbnail mode...

Sounds like a nifty idea.

What I would like to see is more size variation in the horses. The sumpter horses, which are draft horses, should be the size of a Clydesdale. Same with the War Horse. These two should be visibly larger than, say, a steppe or riding horse.

DMCain

I guess I'll have to work harder to keep this thing alive
and I just realized it's pretty hard to get nice sideview pictures of horses so I would very much appreciate it if ppl could up some high quality horse pictures for me to make textures from

I just cut up a black charger in the last hour
3D:

Texture:

Gallus Domesticus said:
and I just realized it's pretty hard to get nice sideview pictures of horses so I would very much appreciate it if ppl could up some high quality horse pictures for me to make textures from

I just cut up a black charger in the last hour
3D:

Texture:

Nice thread.

I actually have made several heavy hunters and a couple new coursers for the game, and I'm working on some more. I actually have them in BRF format and they are in my Native game. I'll post some pictures up and send you the BRF file if you'd like. I'm just on the wrong computer right now.

EDIT: I usually steal pictures from places like Horsetopia and other websites. They usually have lots of pictures. Equinenow and some other sites can narrow down searches for different colors and such. I've found them to be IMMENSELY useful.

Gallus Domesticus said:

Yep, there aren't many good pictures.

a151c72ad3.jpg

1135dimg3hv.jpg

I think if you're going to do this you should use Talak's horse meshes as a base. They're much better looking than the native horses, although they are also more demanding of performance and need lod versions (just the native model for that).

Zaro said:
I think if you're going to do this you should use Talak's horse meshes as a base. They're much better looking than the native horses, although they are also more demanding of performance and need lod versions (just the native model for that).
I'm actually not that fond of Talak's meshes. True, they do have nicer surfaces than the vanilla ponies, but they just don't look as horsey.

I would think it's more the textures as the mesh itself is more like a horse than the native meshes, but of course that is just my opinion :wink:. As for horse varieties, Chel released a horse pack some time ago that may interest you. 20 or so variations?

Might be some helpful photos you can use here:

-: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=horse+sideview
-: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=horse+side+view&spell=1

Personally I don't have a very good impression of talak's horse(might have just been because of the texture), it didn't feel as realistic as the hunter mesh in native.

Chel, thanks for the pictures though I think the second one is already made into texture(by you?), not sure about the first one its a great picture.
I've seen your horse pack but only through other mods and I'm currently using it in my unfinished mod.
The horses are great and are the best I've seen(also the only ones I've seen but still)
They are actually the reason I started making my own horse textures

Well I'm currently trying to make the "everyhorse"s, the kinds of horse you see in your head when you think of horses,
like a fierce, shining black stallion, a white horse carrying a knight on its back, or a horse that's just brown... etc.

It doesn't look like I'm currently getting much help so I guess I'll just have to do it myself

A white hunter:

(the courser looks somewhat lame compared to this one...I've done my job):

texture(copy paste into texture file):

It took me an hour and a half to get this white horse finished...had to edit it some 50 times because the head didn't come in the right angle and I had to end up putting three heads in different layers and had to draw some parts myself

Edit: pic was in thumbnail mode

Septa Scarabae said:
Might be some helpful photos you can use here:

-: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=horse+sideview
-: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=horse+side+view&spell=1
I've tried that too but there wasn't much after the first page :sad: and the pictures are too small
what I do is search the name of a kind of horse and then set "Showing: [Extra Large Images]"
It worked for stallion but there still aren't much

I'm telling you, the horse purchasing sites are THE BEST ones for pictures.

I'll post my textures and a tutorial in a couple of hours.

Predak said:
I'm telling you, the horse purchasing sites are THE BEST ones for pictures.

I'll post my textures and a tutorial in a couple of hours.
I actually grabbed about 20 horses from horsetopia this morning.
I searched for the most expensive ones and they are handsome horses
They are just slightly less detailed than the textures but it probably won't be a problem
I still have a few more detailed pictures to make textures from so I'm working on those first

This horse didn't turn out as fierce and menacing as...well... at all...
I'm going to make more black horses until one looks hansome enough to be a black horse. I still like this one though.

texture:

I think this thread is dying ppl don't care about horse much...
I'm still going to keep making my own horse pack and probably release it after I get at least 2 horses I like for each color (brown, white, black, grey...don`t like yellow screw that... 2 different color chargers and warhorses)

Gallus Domesticus said:
This horse didn't turn out as fierce and menacing as...well... at all...
I'm going to make more black horses until one looks hansome enough to be a black horse. I still like this one though.
(...)
Maybe try adding some contrast, he looks too monochrome now.

This horse didn't turn out as fierce and menacing as

Not your fault as the meshes themselves look quite harmless :lol:.

Did you purposely remove the strap that keeps the saddle in place?

Back
Top Bottom