Would this be possible in PW

Users who are viewing this thread

hakjimmy

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I am thinking about coding feature like if you point at a cart with horse  and press F  you will sit on the cart  and  be carted away. Will this be possible cuz I haven't tried it out yet
But afaik , If you tried to jump on a cart with horse  you will be thrown far away if the cart is saddled on a horse

You could attach the scene prop to the agent & try to animate it to a other animation.
Maybe it works.

It is not possible with the existing system of scene props attached to agents used in PW, since the game engine is hard coded to throw other agents away (the bug reports / requests about it on the TaleWorlds tracker has been ignored for years).

You would have to make an entirely different system which animated scene props to stay with the horse, as used for the ships: note that this has a much greater performance impact on the server. When profiling the PW scripts, the ship movement code is generally a large percentage of the computation, and various server hosters have noticed that when more than about 5 ships are placed in a scene, performance noticeably starts to suffer on an exponential scale. So it is possible to make that sort of system, but I decided long ago that the trade off did not seem worthwhile: you might find it otherwise, in practice.

I see. You could maybe disable the physics of the cart and just re-calculate each X seconds the position of it and teleport the player with it forward so it looks like the cart would drive the player. This could take out the throw away bug. But this of course is very performance eating and would be a difficult thing in a such huge multiplayer module like PW.
People always forget that Warband was made for 32-64 players on small maps. Not 200+ players on huge maps with tons of intractable objects.

@Vornne
If you attach a scene prop on an agent is the physics disabled or enabled from start?
Do you know if the collusion of the prop is disabled if the prop's physics is disabled?

domipoppe said:
If you attach a scene prop on an agent is the physics disabled or enabled from start?
The collision mesh / "physics" is enabled, and changes from a static scene prop type which can be used as a stable platform to something that pushes other agents away from standing on it, which I am guessing is the type of physics applied to agents so other agents trying to stand on top slip off - probably so players can't jump on top of each other to get up to unreachable places, looking like some silly and immersion breaking gymnastics routine.
domipoppe said:
Do you know if the collusion of the prop is disabled if the prop's physics is disabled?
I didn't know, so I tried testing: it seems that the attached prop remains without any collision mesh, allowing other agents to pass through it unaffected. However, that doesn't help with being able to ride carts, and it would probably have a lot of bugs to work out with synchronising the physics state between the server and all clients, and updating it for each cart when the attached agent dies / is faded out (I'm pretty sure that the prop_instance_enable_physics operation is not automatically synchronised between server and clients, and it can cause issues when not manually kept in sync).

Back
Top Bottom