Troop balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wheem

Grandmaster Knight
I've been doing a lot of testing of various faction troops lately, and figured I'd post my thoughts. Let me start off by saying that it's not realistically possible to be perfectly scientific with the testing of units in Warband/VC, so I don't claim that my results are completely indisputable, and I'd like to hear feedback based on others players' experiences.

The settings I used:
Royal Sandbox mode.
Easy Recruitment (still took a LOT of Ctrl + X cheating to level up the units that I was looking to test :dead:).
Hardcore Campaign and Battle AI.
Everything else set to Normal.

When testing non-spear infantry, I'd cheat up 55 men of the same type, and engage AI lords in open field battles. I did essentially the same thing with spear infantry, but increased their numbers up to 77 soldiers since they're typically weaker against enemy infantry. While I did my best to ensure that enemy armies were equal, that was only possible when I was testing player-troops of the same faction (ie, when testing Irish troops, I could always just reload and fight the exact same enemy army, but had to settle for something "close" when playing as the Britons).

So far I've experimented with the Picts, Irish, Britons, Angles, and Norse, and my opinions based on that are as follows:

Pictish and Irish T3 spearmen were the worst units that I've tested, with their Briton and Angle counterparts seeming a bit better, and the Norse as top dog. I figure that the reasons for this are that the Briton/Angle/Norse spearmen have a little bit better body armor on the top end, a chance at metal helmets, and somewhat shorter spears (especially for the Norse). The spear length may actually not be a factor, but I think that the longer ones tend to cause more glancing blows for the AI, for whom facehugging is an art form.

The most spectacular failure in my testing was when I took 77 third tier Irish Spearmen up against an enemy lord from Northvegr, who had roughly 180 troops. My army killed a grand total of 5 men before being absolutely annihilated; and to be honest, I think that most of my kills were from throwing weapons hitting his skirmishers before he pulled them back and advanced the infantry. Subsequent testing against other lords, along with some Footpad/Robber parties of +/- 85 men, resulted in consistently decisive losses with the Picts or Irish, but usually not as bad as the first lord that I tried. When going up against the smallest/weakest faction-armies that I could find on a day-1 game, I was able to get something like 30-50 kills with most of these T3-spearmen-only armies, before losing. Pictish/Irish spearmen were typically towards the bottom end of that spectrum, with Britons and Angles performing better, and the Norse often getting upwards of 60-70 kills.

When it comes to T3 infantry that doesn't carry spears, the Picts are pretty amazing (though according to their level, I'm told that they should be considered T4). They are guaranteed a Gambeson, a metal helmet, very good selection of weapons, and significantly higher 1h weapon proficiency than everyone other than the Irish (who have to deal with some 1h/2h weapons - a bad thing for any AI soldier that also carries a shield). Pictish Axemen were clearly the best here, with everyone else tending to perform similarly to the non-Pictish/Irish T3 spearmen (though with 55 men in my army instead of 77; adding in another 22 soldiers of some type would have made a significant difference, and put them ahead of the spears).

Given the level of performance that I was seeing at Tier 3, I think that there needs to be some kind of upkeep-price difference between spear and non-spear infantry at this rank, if possible (there's a slight difference when it comes to the Picts and Irish, due to NPC-level not being the same, but I don't think that it's enough). It may also help if the Pictish and Irish spearmen had a chance at metal helmets in this tier, since as it stands right now, they just don't seem to be worth using.

I think that the Irish Warriors either need to have the 1h/2h Long Axes removed from their equipment list, or switched out for another weapon (and the same can be said for the higher tiered Irish Champions and Saxon and Norse Veterans). That type of weapon just doesn't work well with a shield - there will be a lot of slow moving, low damage glancing blows. I'll freely admit that the effect wasn't as bad as I expected it to be before I started testing the Irish Warriors in larger numbers, but I think that this deficiency is largely covered for by their very high 1h proficiency (which makes their other weapons extremely deadly for their tier).

At Tier 4, it seemed like the differences in the various non-Norse spearmen became fairly small, with the Norsemen becoming incredibly good. I was just now able to defeat a ~185 man Saxon army with 77 Norse Elite Spearmen, and only took 30 casualties doing it [5 of which were the un-geared companions that I started with as king]). I'm assuming that this performance difference is largely due to the Norse being better armored than other T4 spearmen, though I also still have the sneaking suspicion that the ~200 length spears of the other factions cause a lot more glancing blows than the ~150 length ones used by the Norse. It's also worth mentioning that at least some of the Norse soldiers will have a langseax as a backup weapon, which is significantly better than everyone else's hunting knife or seax. (Side note: It's possible that the longer spears would be better in a mixed spear/non-spear shield wall, but I haven't tried testing that.)

When it comes to non-spear infantry, the Picts win at this tier as well...as long as you're cheating :shifty:. While the Pictish Veterans are fantastic units, they're also also fantastically expensive. In fact, given the price that it takes to promote them, I'd probably advise sticking with the previous Axemen unless you're quite rich - it cost me over 70,000 peningas to promote 55 Axemen to Veterans. While the other factions' T4 infantry wasn't as good in a fight, it's much more economically feasible to field in larger numbers (except for the Irish, whose T4 unit also didn't even really outperform T3 Pictish Axemen).

I would suggest that the Pictish Veterans and Irish Champions have their promotion cost lowered to be in line with everyone else, even if this means some nerfs for the Picts (not having so much of a proficiency advantage, and maybe some chance to be equipped with Gambesons, like everyone else). Also, the Angle, Saxon, and Briton T4 infantry probably need to be given a chance at mail armor, like the Norse have. Since I don't think that very many of us have T5 soldiers in large numbers, these factions don't field much-if-any mail armor, and don't really have any other advantages that I can see. The Norse already have the best spearmen, possibly (probably?) the best archers, and arguably have the best non-spear infantry at this tier as well. While I'd give the edge to the Picts, man-for-man (their mail is guaranteed and their 1h proficiency is great), they're just too expensive for what you get. To use my example of 55 man testing armies; who would pick having 55 Pictish Veterans over 55 Norse Veterans and having over 50,000 peningas in their pocket? That's worth a lot more mercenaries, faction troop hirings and promotions, etc...

And while I appreciate not having totally homogeneous armies, I'd like to see the non-Norse T4 spearmen get some improvements, to be more in line with the Elite Norse Spearmen. I'm not 100% sure on how to achieve that, though. Would having a chance at mail armor do it? Or am I correct about spear length playing a big role in killing power?

Just a couple of tips to make your testing easier:

1:Save editor compatible with VC..  Load your save and in the party-records section open the player party #0 at the top, then find the 'stacks' section. You can change a stack of troops to a different type by changing the troop_id (look under the troops section of the save editor to find the correct number) and the number of troops. Just don't change the player or companion stacks.
You can also do this with your chosen enemy lord party if you want.

2: You can use a gamepad and a program called JoyToKey to do the ctrl+x thing 30 times a second, much easier if you don't want to bother with the save-editor.

3:You didn't mention using easy leveling, I'm guessing you did though, right?

Good luck with your further testing :smile:.

ctrl+x? That is soo wrong  :razz:

Jk aside, you can do this to stop this grind (torture) way of recruiting troops for test:

1) Enable cheat mode (ingame)
2) Open troop tree
3) Select the unit you want
4) You will get a small button on the left bottom corner (GET 20). Click it. Magic: you just got 20 new recruits of that troop

It will be disabled after beta release, so enjoy it while it is on beta  :wink:

Like I explained on the other topic: what you see on the troop tree is not tiers, just the next troop. Tier 4 is level 26, it does not matter if that troop is the first or tenth in the graphic.

Game is balanced around wages on a normal campaign. On that game a player needs to keep cheaper troops, as he can't pay wages and upgrades of the entire army. Spearman are defensive units, they need to be used with formations like shieldwall and with a good terrain option.
Swordsman will usually win, but you are also not suppose to have a army of them. If you do, you will win against any AI lord that is using balanced armies.

In the end you can fight with many combinations of troops, it will depend on the player's ability as a commander. Factions are not equal, as each has pros and cons that need to be explored by a good commander.

180 x 77 defeat
If you start a battle with a big disadvantage you will have penalty on your courage score, so your soldiers tend to route faster.
Then if you let them fight without a good formation/position they will be surrounded and will lose many troops in a few seconds. That has a huge courage penalty.
10 sec later your army broke and they are running for their lives.

Next time try finding a good defensive position, or build a fortified camp  :razz:

kalarhan said:
1) Enable cheat mode (ingame)
2) Open troop tree
3) Select the unit you want
4) You will get a small button on the left bottom corner (GET 20). Click it. Magic: you just got 20 new recruits of that troop
I wish I'd known about that before, would have saved my X key a lot of abuse :facepalm:

kalarhan said:
Game is balanced around wages on a normal campaign. On that game a player needs to keep cheaper troops, as he can't pay wages and upgrades of the entire army. Spearman are defensive units, they need to be used with formations like shieldwall and with a good terrain option.
But spearmen aren't actually cheaper than same-level swordsmen, which is why I suggested that they should be.

After fighting quite a few battles with various spearmen, I feel relatively confident in saying that the level 23 Picts and Irish both perform noticeably worse than same-level Britons and Angles, while Norse are superior to them all. I certainly don't expect "perfect" balance or anything, but the gap between Picts/Irish on the low end, and Norse on the high end, was fairly substantial sometimes.

When moving up to T4 spearmen (all level 26), the Picts and Irish seemed to become pretty comparable to the Angles and Britons (presumably since their stats/weapons are all basically identical, though the Irish and Britons can sometimes end up in really weak armor). The Norse, however, were in a league of their own, and were able to defeat varied-makeup armies (fighting against various Angle and Saxon lords at the time) that were more than twice their size. Their stats, level, and cost were all comparable to spearmen of the other factions, so I'm assuming that it's their combination of superior armor and shorter spears that made them so deadly.

As a side note, I'm assuming that these superior T3 and T4 spearmen (and possibly T2 as well, though I didn't test with any of those) were a big part of the reason that I found my armies usually not doing as well against the Norse as they did against everyone else. While the AI typically didn't have very much of anything at T4, the T3 spearmen tended to be found in pretty high numbers.

kalarhan said:
Swordsman will usually win, but you are also not suppose to have a army of them. If you do, you will win against any AI lord that is using balanced armies.
Testing aside, I've generally used somewhat balanced armies, though probably a bit heavier on the sword/axe infantry than is "intended." This is part of the reason that I'd like to see some improvements to spearmen (especially Picts and Irish at level 23); if they cost the same as sword/axe infantry, but aren't as effective, then there's not a lot of use for them. The Norse are kind of the odd men out here, especially the level 26 Elites. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they outperform Irish/Briton/Angle/Saxon T4 sword and axe infantry (now that I can cheat in higher numbers of those guys without pounding my keyboard into oblivion, maybe I'll give it a go).

kalarhan said:
180 x 77 defeat
If you start a battle with a big disadvantage you will have penalty on your courage score, so your soldiers tend to route faster.
Then if you let them fight without a good formation/position they will be surrounded and will lose many troops in a few seconds. That has a huge courage penalty.
10 sec later your army broke and they are running for their lives.
I completely expected to lose the battle (and most of the others that I've done in testing :razz:), but I wanted to see how they'd do. To their credit, my men didn't actually break and run all that early - most of them seemed to go down fighting...they just didn't fight very well.

From my personal experience, the Norse units become very powerful once you reach the split between Norse Spearman and Norse Companion. The armor is strong, their stats are solid, and they are relatively cheap and easy to get since the Kingdom of Northymbre (or however it is spelled) is at war with several different kingdoms at any given time. Very easy to get on the good side of every lord just by fighting with them, even as a mercenary, and mass recruit from all their lands that provide Norse, not to mention they have two ports that provide quick travel routes to get more Norse units late game or early game if you secure enough funds.

Every play through I pick, I end up massing Norse Elite Spearmen and Norse Warrior Archer for defenses, Norse Veteran and Norse Bodyguard mixed up with Frank Horsemen for offense. I never have difficulties at any point in the game once I get at least 50 Norse Spearmen and Norse Companions each. Put them both into the same division, have them Shield Wall and stand closer x2 and their shieldwall is just impossible to break. Especially if you use a fortified camp, hold up at a bridge or on top of a steep slope.

Norse warriors are just too powerful. Best archers, and best infantry in my opinion. Supplement with the mercenaries as needed to recover lost numbers in a pinch. I also spend a long time massing up a fortune before playing the take over game, so that might be why fielding strong armies of the Norse soldiers is easier. Especially since late game, for some reason, Alban has a crap load of Norse units as prisoners all over their kingdom's fiefs/lords, most of them high tier soldiers too.

I'm ok with the Norse being more powerful since they are out numbered by Christian factions. In real life things are not always balanced and one of the great things about that is it provides a challenge trying to overcome superior troops plus it is not a big deal in single player. Irish and Picts troops should not be on the same level imo, but they could use a price reduction even if it means they have to be lowered a few levels. These factions will have to rely on numbers for balanced forces. 

Slayerm11 said:
From my personal experience, the Norse units become very powerful once you reach the split between Norse Spearman and Norse Companion. The armor is strong, their stats are solid, and they are relatively cheap and easy to get since the Kingdom of Northymbre (or however it is spelled) is at war with several different kingdoms at any given time. Very easy to get on the good side of every lord just by fighting with them, even as a mercenary, and mass recruit from all their lands that provide Norse, not to mention they have two ports that provide quick travel routes to get more Norse units late game or early game if you secure enough funds.

Every play through I pick, I end up massing Norse Elite Spearmen and Norse Warrior Archer for defenses, Norse Veteran and Norse Bodyguard mixed up with Frank Horsemen for offense. I never have difficulties at any point in the game once I get at least 50 Norse Spearmen and Norse Companions each. Put them both into the same division, have them Shield Wall and stand closer x2 and their shieldwall is just impossible to break. Especially if you use a fortified camp, hold up at a bridge or on top of a steep slope.

Norse warriors are just too powerful. Best archers, and best infantry in my opinion. Supplement with the mercenaries as needed to recover lost numbers in a pinch. I also spend a long time massing up a fortune before playing the take over game, so that might be why fielding strong armies of the Norse soldiers is easier. Especially since late game, for some reason, Alban has a crap load of Norse units as prisoners all over their kingdom's fiefs/lords, most of them high tier soldiers too.

can you elaborate please?

1. how do you put troops into a division

2. so the spearmen/companions take the enemy's initial attack on their shield wall, then you circle around with the cavalry and offensive infantry?

nice work.It's a good stab at looking at the warfare mechanics. I wonder how many 9th century nobles pondered how to stop the Norsemen.

kwbudirt said:
nice work.It's a good stab at looking at the warfare mechanics. I wonder how many 9th century nobles pondered how to stop the Norsemen.

in the end the macro wins the long game if your rush strat doesn't kill the other guy at the beginning :wink:

harpred said:
Slayerm11 said:

can you elaborate please?

1. how do you put troops into a division

2. so the spearmen/companions take the enemy's initial attack on their shield wall, then you circle around with the cavalry and offensive infantry?

When you click on a unit in the Army/party window, you will see a tab that says Spearmen, Infantry, Skirmisher, Calvary, ect. Just click that tab, and you'll be able to switch to to whichever division you wish to.

AS for your 2nd question, I meant defending my castles/cities. I leave most of my spearmen and archers garrisoned up in the areas I claim, especially when I'm digging deep through enemy lands. I do keep at least 25-50 elite spearmen and around 25-50 warrior archers once I start to gather the numbers. For the tactics, it differs depending on terrain, enemy army size, and what faction I am fighting against. As a general rule of thumb, I hold ground with basic formations close to the enemy. About half-way through the map. Once the enemy gets close, I order my Calvary to charge them and start to break their formations. If I have the trait Inspire, I always go with this tactic, and the infantry and spearmen come up behind the Calvary usually by the time the enemy has lost their leader and generally about a quarter of their forces already (I try to keep at least 50 mounted units in my army at all times once I start going to war at a large scale.) If I am out numbered, I generally do what you figured out already. I let my shieldwall stand at the base of a cliff or slope, or in front of a choke, and my archers up on an elevated area so they can pelt the enemy. It is key to hold fire and only let them fire at will once the enemy is close enough that your archers will start to hit them.

Once they meet, I generally have my Skrims and Calvary rush in, with me leading the charge. I let the units function under Charge, while I myself stick to the flanks and outside of the circle of death the AIs like to form, killing their ranged and looking for any unit trying to flank my shield wall and archers. Location is key to holding against any superior army. If you have Inspire, you will always win the fights when you hold a choke. Your men become demi-gods under the effects of Inspire. I was down to just myself and my bodyguard division, which at the time consisted of ten Norse Bodyguards (Huskcarls). Had them form the shield wall on a bridge, hit Inspire, and we tore down over seventy men just between us 11. Granted, most of them were low tier units (was an army fight of 521 [enemy king] and myself of 37:cool: and was at the end of the fight. Was still a glorious outcome though.

thanks

Slayerm11 said:
AS for your 2nd question, I meant defending my castles/cities. I leave most of my spearmen and archers garrisoned up in the areas I claim, especially when I'm digging deep through enemy lands. I do keep at least 25-50 elite spearmen and around 25-50 warrior archers once I start to gather the numbers. For the tactics, it differs depending on terrain, enemy army size, and what faction I am fighting against. As a general rule of thumb, I hold ground with basic formations close to the enemy. About half-way through the map. Once the enemy gets close, I order my Calvary to charge them and start to break their formations. If I have the trait Inspire, I always go with this tactic, and the infantry and spearmen come up behind the Calvary usually by the time the enemy has lost their leader and generally about a quarter of their forces already (I try to keep at least 50 mounted units in my army at all times once I start going to war at a large scale.)
right eventually you charge the infantry and they disassemble their formation?
Slayerm11 said:
If I am out numbered, I generally do what you figured out already. I let my shieldwall stand at the base of a cliff or slope, or in front of a choke, and my archers up on an elevated area so they can pelt the enemy. It is key to hold fire and only let them fire at will once the enemy is close enough that your archers will start to hit them.

Once they meet, I generally have my Skrims and Calvary rush in, with me leading the charge. I let the units function under Charge, while I myself stick to the flanks and outside of the circle of death the AIs like to form, killing their ranged and looking for any unit trying to flank my shield wall and archers

so to be clear, your infantry is just holding ground at that point and not charging?

Only time I have my infantry division charge at the enemy is when I feel that the enemy troops have suffered serious morale loss and are in the process of retreating, or when we have superior quality and numbers.

In the first example when I have the Calvary lead the charge, everyone is charging. In the situation I have to fight defensively, I only have the infantry charge when we have defeated the bulk of their army, or we're fighting Pictish units since they more often than not have very poor armor.

i see.. i think even though it says "infantry formation dissassembled" they still kind of stick together dont they?

man i just fought an epic battle while experimenting with the stand closer x 2 and using divisions...

somehow when the enemy closed with my infantry line my spearman line ended up perpendicular to them so it was like

>
>
>  (enemy)
>
>
^^^^^^^^^

all on a hill of course too.. then i charged everyone, came in from behind with the frank horsemen and i saw the ranks just crush in from both sides .. complete massacre

i tell you when everything goes right its really the closest you'll get to being on the ground in a total war game

harpred said:
i see.. i think even though it says "infantry formation dissassembled" they still kind of stick together dont they?

As far as Ive seen they dont always keep the formation and charge the enemy. They will if the enemy is scattered in small groups, also split up and go after them.
And dont make the mistake I once made. Charged my men as the enemy was fleeing, didnt read the little note informing me that the enemy had new units deploying and where only pulling back to form up with them across the hill. Suddenly faced a huge number of enemy troops all in formation with my men scattered across the hill. Managed to win but dang I lost too many. :smile:

But you are completely right. When it all goes smooth it can turn into a massacre.

harpred said:

man i just fought an epic battle while experimenting with the stand closer x 2 and using divisions...

somehow when the enemy closed with my infantry line my spearman line ended up perpendicular to them so it was like

>
>
>  (enemy)
>
>
^^^^^^^^^

all on a hill of course too.. then i charged everyone, came in from behind with the frank horsemen and i saw the ranks just crush in from both sides .. complete massacre

i tell you when everything goes right its really the closest you'll get to being on the ground in a total war game

It is epic! I usually set up a firing line left or right of enemy with archers/skirmishers as I advance infantry and spearmen. Then I flank with horsemen to the enemy's rear taking out his archers/skirmishers. then charge with everyone. My, oh my do the bot heads roll. hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom