Gamescom - Combat?? - Full Thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps all the people who think that an axe shaft wouldn't hurt to be hit with should volunteer to be hit with one so that we can know for sure :lol:

Keller said:
Have you ever been beaten with a wooden shaft? Because I think that it hurts a bit...
It is, but in armor its not that lethal. Which opens another idea of separating hitboxes for Head and shaft of the weapon. With shaft hitbox dealing like 0.3 damage of the weapon for example, but its complicated and I need to see how they made axes in new game and screenshots to draw hitboxes.
Right now it looks like this, where red box 1 is full damage and yellow box 2 is a little bit.

oylJVpX.png

Like 40(1) to 5(2) for example.

Lord Rich said:
Try to think a bit beyond what's simply realistic, if you make it so that you cannot hit with the long axe at point blank range it's going to be useless as a weapon because as soon as someone engages you you're going to be locked up and unable to attack. I'm relatively sure that however realistic it is, this kind of mechanic will be more annoying than actually contribute anything to gameplay.
I don't care about some pathetic excuses. If you can't swing long axe at point blank range then kick or switch to one-handed weapon. Inability to disengage from combat have nothing to do with exploiting broken hitboxes that killing people right after your nose. Do you see that yellow angle next to hands that gripping axe in image ? That can be lethal killing part in warband, nex to enemy nose :]
Also its not annoying mechanic, its how things come to be in this world when you grab shafted weapons, so deal with it.
Do not forget that you are playing medieval game and not toying with "lightsabers" in Jedi Academy.

Scarf Ace said:
IRL you can hold an axe closer to the head to ensure that you don't hit your target with the shaft. In WB you can't do that, so I think it's actually somewhat valid to have the shaft deal lotsa damage.
Its completely invalid and not even band-aid solution. Changing grips was proposed many times, we can only guess why that stuff is ignored.

Partizan_Rusi said:

Almost no one would use axes if their hit boxes are changed like that. Shield users and other 2h with fuller hit-boxes would just hug the axe user, making it ineffective in melee against anything but other axes of similar length. 

Dryykon said:
Almost no one would use axes if their hit boxes are changed like that. Shield users and other 2h with fuller hit-boxes would just hug the axe user, making it ineffective in melee against anything but other axes of similar length.
Its only an excuse, a very bad one. How about skill, so you want to swing headed weapons without any skill involved whatsoever ? Don't you think you will be exploiting hitboxes for unfair advantage ? Or maybe you think that lightsaber behavior is completely fine for axes.
Anyway TW can leave this crutch for you(for those who can't play properly) because hitbox 2 can interrupt on damage too.
It will work when done properly.

P.S.
I'm almost sorry for ruining your fantasy world.

What they could do, however, is to change the damage type to blunt if only the shaft of the weapon connects. The damage of the axe would be muted but the force of the blow could still stun the enemy, giving you a chance to move away.

Don't you think it's a bit unrealistic to be able to kick at point blank range, you need some room for that? Also switching to a 1H weapon during combat seems unlikely unless you first drop your 2H.

It's a game, it doesn't have to conform to every tiny bit of detail to service greater realism. It's not a simulator.

Deal with it.

Lord Rich said:
Don't you think it's a bit unrealistic to be able to kick at point blank range, you need some room for that?
No.
Lord Rich said:
Also switching to a 1H weapon during combat seems unlikely unless you first drop your 2H.
No.
Lord Rich said:
It's a game, it doesn't have to conform to every tiny bit of detail to service greater realism. It's not a simulator.
Deal with it.
Warband is a game with broken, obsolete and outdated combat. Deal with it.
...however, Bannerlord can be much more and much better than competition.

MrNevino1 said:
I now wanna see how good this guy is, cuz obviously he must be best all time, if he thinks we lack skill for using 2h axes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Khe-hhm, I had extensive practice with polearms  http://i.imgur.com/R8471NB.jpg , so don't you worry.

Don't fix what's not broken. Instead, improve it!

2h's got their place - weaknesses and strengths. If you think 2h axes are generally useful in matches, you're insane. They're not OP, they're AT BEST situational. I've been using bastard sword a few times, just to try it out, and I've had little to no use (stunning with heavy bastard sword on Kite Shields was actually useful a few times, though). Good luck taking out a great long axe in a match against good archers, javthrowers or anything that involves more than one enemy! 2h's are situational, and honestly, I'd not even use a 2h axe since I break a shield with roughly 1 less hit using a 1h battle axe (second-best nord one) instead.

Realism ≠ Making the game balanced. Assuming they continue on the same idea of combat (which seems to be the current idea, looking at their videos), we'll probably just see a few new mechanics + some small details added + a mix of new weapons + a few new functionalities (like they showed, climbing ladders - imagine, we can finally use those ladders up to the top of towers that are useless in Warband currently :grin:) + better graphics.

You're talking with people that have 5000h+ of playtime, that are at the top of the competitive scene and have played since the old M&B Beta to top it off - if it was as broken as you claim, it'd been changed years ago - before the release of Warband itself.

Oliveran said:
You're talking with people that have 5000h+ of playtime, that are at the top of the competitive scene and have played since the old M&B Beta to top it off - if it was as broken as you claim, it'd been changed years ago - before the release of Warband itself.
Thats why sometimes its so hillarious to read what they are posting like - "don't remove my crutches please, i've spended so much time using it"  :lol:  If they are so pro they must be aching for better challenge and better quality of combat.
Bad thing some things must have been changed years ago, but they don't.

Partizan_Rusi said:
Thats why sometimes its so hillarious to read what they are posting like - "don't remove my crutches please, i've spended so much time using it"  :lol:  If they are so pro they must be aching for better challenge and better quality of combat.
Bad thing some things must have been changed years ago, but they don't.
Hey don't remove the fundamental parts of the game, they're my crutches. Please.

Whoah whoah you play war of the roses? If anything that game is so much easier than warband lol the thing got horrible reviews and personally I thought it sucked. I find it hilarious that someone who plays a wave bad clone comes in here telling us what's wrong with his games original copy

Partizan_Rusi said:
Don't you think you will be exploiting hitboxes for unfair advantage ?

How are they unfair if everyone can use them? Its only an exploit if it wasnt the devlopers intended design, even though it might not be perfect it probably was what they wanted. It's not like only this particular axe will be able to do this. The way it works now and is shown to be working currently in bannerlord might not be accurate but atleast it works the same way for all the weapons making it fair in the sense on no clear draw back to an axe over a sword.

If you want to get into realism most swords were only ever sharped in the last 1/3 or 1/4 nearest the point, because why they hell are you close enough to hit him with any part of the blade nearer the hilt (If you wanna get that close use a dagger, of which you can make use of the point). Your hitboxes would then apply to all weapons for such a reason as stated above, and be fair but it makes dealing damage with a weapon so much more specific to the point of it would cause more problems than its worth.

For example the axe has a very clear ideal point of impact but as stated above with the realism you want, how would we know that the correct part of a sword had hit (audio que maybe but I cant imagine it being that useful in a high intensity fight)? 5 swings later and youve hit your enemy on the boundry point everytime and he hits you once and bye bye. It begins to reward lucky blows more than consistantsy.

Maybe a stun button like in C-Rpg (v) where you hit with the pommel of the sword to stun your opponent. For axes and and polerarms it could be the shaft or simply an animation that pushes the enemy away with a shove. In any case, I hope they don't touch the combat that much.

UniversitasMetal said:
Maybe a stun button like in C-Rpg (v) where you hit with the pommel of the sword to stun your opponent. For axes and and polerarms it could be the shaft or simply an animation that pushes the enemy away with a shove. In any case, I hope they don't touch the combat that much.

This with the 2h stab is some of the ****tiest moves that cRPG could go for.

Partizan_Rusi said:

That's why a player should carry a one-handed weapon, polearms like that should be used as support weapons.

If we want to be realistic: the grips on the 2h axes weren't set in stone. Sometimes, it was held at the end of the stick and other times it was held right underneath the axe head. Instead of trying to program this into the game with absurd time-investment, they make the entire axe do damage. It's a simple solution that saves a lot of time and effort while still being both realistic and a plus in gameplay.

Not sure if it was brought up but in that example lets say shafts do cause minimal damage, what if the opposing character was very low on health?

So if the axe shaft does 5damage and he has 3hp left, a swing tbat hits on the shaft will be the final blow.

Not that it's the most realistic system but it'd work just fine, I don't see the BFD.

So much negativity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom