Quality vs Quantity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Suwin_Tzi

Recruit
Does having higher quality troops in garrisons and patrols ensure their survival/deterrence, or just quantity?

When it comes to making the AI decide not to attack your fief, quantity > quality.
When it involves actually defending your fief in battle, quality > quantity (within reason)

So quantity for patrols and garrisons that are actually going to be attacked if i'm not there correct?

Patrols should be higher quality. The game actually calculates their strength (pretty sure it's just levels + the terrain/home turf advantage) during auto-calc battles. If a patrol is strong enough they'll keep winning against bandits and smaller war parties, or at least scare them off so it keeps your territories safer.

When making a decision on what center to attack (garrisons, etc.), the AI war party makes a bunch of calculations within the script. For some reason it only counts number of defenders instead of the levels of the troops unlike auto-calc battles, so you can stuff it with farmers and peasants and if you have enough the chances of it getting attacked are so low it's practically 0. So yeah, if you want your fief to never be attacked put in a lot of T1 troops and other things that are cheap but you don't really wanna bring with you, like looters and peasants.

To that end, what tier of troops are recommended for patrols then?  One of my towns, Ahmerrad, is right next to a Desert Bandit base spawn; the surrounding villages are rich but the everytime I destroy the base, it pops up right there.  The bandit heroes option is left on, with 8 bandit parties, averaging 100-120 bandits per party, not including the hero.

I always get the best that I can afford really, for patrols. I tend to give it a high level captain, T6 or T7 if I can find one, then I fill it with high level stuff. I add troops to it as I find them. I usually give them troops that don't fit in my army composition, especially those that I capture that would suffer a morale hit due to being from a different faction. Patrols don't care so much especially in auto-calc battles.

Now a question might pop up, whether to make one big patrol vs. a lot of small ones. That all depends on the situation around the area being patrolled if you ask me. If you're trying to scare off a lot of bandit groups you may want a lot of small patrols so they can patrol in slightly different areas and shoo away or even defeat all the small bandit groups there. If you need them to guard a border town during war or an area that's plagued with a bandit hero party though you may want one big patrol. Just pay attention to what's going on there. If they run into a siege party that was supposed to besiege your town they'll be able to distract or even hold them off until you arrive in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom