Tone down the amount of Raiders/Ruffians roaming about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw guys if you don't want to wait for the update TweakMB works for adjusting max bandit party sizes. Don't have to bother with all of them, just the ones that give you bother.

loot is based off your looting skill + battle advantage. If you fight weak parties the loot will be bad. If you don't invest on your skills, it will also be bad.

I have a looting skill of at least 6 ( plus my companions all have at least 1 ) and I am staging 110 to 149 units against 100 to 140 foes. I get a huge number of items every battle just extremely rare to find anything of real value/use.

I don't think they need to impose a hard limit to bandit max size but variate it more and shift the size lower in the spectrum. Nor do I want to use tweakMB to impose a max, I wouldn't mind running into a larger force now and then but it really needs more variation, instead of veteran renegades/frankish raiders over and over in Norway and Denmark!

Carrion said:
I have a looting skill of at least 6 ( plus my companions all have at least 1 ) and I am staging 110 to 149 units against 100 to 140 foes.
6 is OK but you should work to get 9+
companions with a lower value than you will not help at all. Party skill only works if one companion is better than you at that skill.
and 140low level bandits will give you trash loot, check theirs composition (use troop tree)

finally: you have multiple choices for looting, pick the one for better stuff if you want to lose the morale

Carrion said:
loot is based off your looting skill + battle advantage. If you fight weak parties the loot will be bad. If you don't invest on your skills, it will also be bad.

I have a looting skill of at least 6 ( plus my companions all have at least 1 ) and I am staging 110 to 149 units against 100 to 140 foes. I get a huge number of items every battle just extremely rare to find anything of real value/use.

I don't think they need to impose a hard limit to bandit max size but variate it more and shift the size lower in the spectrum. Nor do I want to use tweakMB to impose a max, I wouldn't mind running into a larger force now and then but it really needs more variation, instead of veteran renegades/frankish raiders over and over in Norway and Denmark!

Yeah I don't want to have to use mods (to mod a DLC that was originally a mod).

Also I don't have an issue with huge enemy parties but it only makes sense for Viking Raiders and the like.  100 Ruffians traveling in a zombie horde without a single shield is not realistic, I think.

I do have an issue with the number/frequency of huge enemy parties that apparently rule every inch of terrain.

Playing a game right now where I'm just using companions to take smaller groups down while I roam around trading.

I've noticed various outlaw groups are much, much smaller than when I started out by getting a larger size group. Seems they scale with the player in some manner, and you can control this to your advantage. A group of well geared companions w/good ranged weapons taking out 3-10 vikings is pretty easy with me harassing them on horseback and it always rewards pretty decent renown and loot since both adjust based on your disadvantage. I've got everyone with free swords and medium or heavy armor and good helms just from outlaw loot.

OTOH if someone were to get a group of 20-30 farmers I imagine they'd have a rough time because they'd have to fight similar size groups of vikings and they'd also move slower on the map.

I definitely think the way it scales could use more adjustment and size should both vary more throughout the game(so it doesn't go from most outlaw bands having ~3-10 units to 50+), and have more strict limitations. Larger groups should be an exception not the rule.

anoddhermit said:
Playing a game right now where I'm just using companions to take smaller groups down while I roam around trading.

I've noticed various outlaw groups are much, much smaller than when I started out by getting a larger size group. Seems they scale with the player in some manner, and you can control this to your advantage. A group of well geared companions w/good ranged weapons taking out 3-10 vikings is pretty easy with me harassing them on horseback and it always rewards pretty decent renown and loot since both adjust based on your disadvantage. I've got everyone with free swords and medium or heavy armor and good helms just from outlaw loot.

OTOH if someone were to get a group of 20-30 farmers I imagine they'd have a rough time because they'd have to fight similar size groups of vikings and they'd also move slower on the map.

I definitely think the way it scales could use more adjustment and size should both vary more throughout the game(so it doesn't go from most outlaw bands having ~3-10 units to 50+), and have more strict limitations. Larger groups should be an exception not the rule.

Reply:
it is not about size (number of troops), but about strength. So in equal conditions you would have a lot less vikings than farmers in a party.

Larger groups should be an exception not the rule.
You can affect this based on your Campaign AI option (beginner, normal, hardcore). The world will have weaker, same strength and stronger bandit parties than your currently army, the option will change the distribution.
There is a hard cap for bandits tho and they will spawn at a lower rate as you grow on size (your army).

Next update will have some interesting changes in the system, stay tuned on http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,333383.0.html

Just to add my two cents to the argument.

I was doing the story mode. I joined the Northmen and I was at the part where you have to take a certain fort. I had 121 men, half of them veterans/svear warriors, the other half a combination of north companions and spearmen plus my own companions. I decided to siege and wait for them to starve since my host was somewhat smaller than the garrison and I like to play safe when possible.

So far so good one would think, but then I was attacked. Quoting Mr. Burns; not once, not twice, but thrice. And not by Pictishs´ relieve forces, but by parties of north vikings. I couldn´t even build my assault equipment before I was forced to call the siege off because those battles had depleted my host.

By the way, those three groups averaged 60 men each, that´s half my strength; and yet they still attacked.

"Next Steam Patch (1.092) will introduce major changes to the bandits system. It will require a new savegame to see or you will need to wait a few ingame weeks for things to stabilize.

Check the new "Bandit Parties" on Game Options and the changelog for more information.

Feedback should be included here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,333383.0.html"

Thank you for all your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom