Bows and Arrows, animations and sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

hujka

Recruit
I really like the mods in this pack, except the changes to the arrows.
Is there any way to revert/delete those changes?
I can't find the mod that adds the sounds "ext_arrow_pass" etc, as well as the changes to velocity.

The original arrow physics are far from perfect, but they're better.

The new arrows are flying way too fast, or at least they give that impression as they seem disappear too early.
An arrow usually flies at a velocity around 60-70 meters per second, and relatively slow from an archers perspective (you can visually follow the trajectory).
Also the new sounds are unaccurate, a flying arrow doesn't give off a whistle like fireworks :party: unless it's been designed for that purpose!
A feather fletched arrow sounds more like a raspy woosh than a whistle.

Hello. I'm the designer of the archery tweaks that seems to have been officially implemented since Floris 2.54 (H.T.'s Archery Tweaks). Let me give you some insights.

The velocity of the current projectiles in Floris is actually roughly the same as Native. You can look in the module system files or the compiled text files using Morgh's if you don't believe me. Projectile speed is not linked to the projectile itself but the weapon shooting it (bows or crossbows in the case of Floris). So if you wanna investigate it, look at each individual bow. Similar to Native design, I kept the lighter bows with slower projectiles (roughly the same as Native's lighter bow projectile speed) and the heavier bows with faster projectiles (again, roughly the same as Native's heaviest bows). In fact, if I'm not mistaken there are some Native bows that have slightly faster projectiles than the heaviest bow I've implemented. So people are mistaken if they think that I've increased projectile speed drastically. I'm not sure why this issue keeps coming up here and there.

What's more likely the case is that they aren't able to track the projectiles, like you mentioned. If they seem like they're harder to track it may be because of the in-flight projectile model being used in Floris. I personally do not mind it too much but it was outside of the edits I did anyway. I only tweaked their stats, not their models. Those are done by the original Floris team. There's a way to change them back to Native by editing the entries either in the module system or in Morgh's.

As for the sound, you can take a peek in the module system to see what the file names are for those ext_arrow_pass sounds, to see where they are actually located so you can change them.

Sorry for the bump-up of an old topic, but I can relate to the problem that the OP describes and if anyone else wants to fix this, I can give a simple solution. Like Hanakoganei says, the missile physics aren't so much different from the Native. My personal biggest problem was the fact that with the new textures, the arrows were barely visible and when you missed a shot, it became hard to judge where the arrow actually landed (to keep in mind for the next shot). So I restored the native arrow texture on all arrows. I'm not a coder, programmer or even any kind of computer nerd, so you can be sure that this is pretty easy to do yourself. This is how I did it:

1. Download and install Notepad++ from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

2. Copy your Floris Expanded Mod Pack folder.

3. Go to the new Floris Expanded Mod Pack folder, in my own case in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\MountBlade Warband\Modules\Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.54 - kopie. Find the file item_kinds1.txt in this very folder. Open it in Notepad++.

3. In Notepad++, press ctrl+f for the 'Find' function. Type the word 'flying' in the search field and click 'Find All in Current Document'. What you get is something like this:

arrowtexfix1.jpg

These files with '_flying' at the end are the files that determine what the arrow will look like. So, in Floris each type of arrow actually looks differently in the air. Practice Arrows are referring to we_pla_arrow_flying. Barbed Arrows are referring to we_nor_arrow_barbed_flying.

In Native, however, every type of missile looks the same. If I search for 'flying' in the item_kinds1.txt file of Native, I find out that there's no such thing as we_nor_arrow_barbed_flying references. Every arrow looks the same, namely as flying_missile. See next pic.

arrowtexfix2.jpg

Solution??? Change all the '_flying' names in Floris' item_kinds1.txt to 'flying_missile'. It will make the arrows look the same as in Native. Changing the text is done in the upper field -- use the bottom field to doubleclick on each line to jump to that line quickly.

For me this solved a great bit of the problems of the archery changes in Floris.

Zaakjes said:
Sorry for the bump-up of an old topic, but I can relate to the problem that the OP describes and if anyone else wants to fix this, I can give a simple solution. Like Hanakoganei says, the missile physics aren't so much different from the Native. My personal biggest problem was the fact that with the new textures, the arrows were barely visible and when you missed a shot, it became hard to judge where the arrow actually landed (to keep in mind for the next shot). So I restored the native arrow texture on all arrows. I'm not a coder, programmer or even any kind of computer nerd, so you can be sure that this is pretty easy to do yourself. This is how I did it:

1. Download and install Notepad++

2. Copy your Floris Expanded Mod Pack folder.

3. Go to the new Floris Expanded Mod Pack folder, in my own case in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\MountBlade Warband\Modules\Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.54 - kopie. Find the file item_kinds1.txt in this very folder. Open it in Notepad++.

3. In Notepad++, press ctrl+f for the 'Find' function. Type the word 'flying' in the search field and click 'Find All in Current Document'. What you get is something like this:

These files with '_flying' at the end are the files that determine what the arrow will look like. So, in Floris each type of arrow actually looks differently in the air. Practice Arrows are referring to we_pla_arrow_flying. Barbed Arrows are referring to we_nor_arrow_barbed_flying.

In Native, however, every type of missile looks the same. If I search for 'flying' in the item_kinds1.txt file of Native, I find out that there's no such thing as we_nor_arrow_barbed_flying references. Every arrow looks the same, namely as flying_missile. See next pic.

Solution??? Change all the '_flying' names in Floris' item_kinds1.txt to 'flying_missile'. It will make the arrows look the same as in Native. Changing the text is done in the upper field -- use the bottom field to doubleclick on each line to jump to that line quickly.

For me this solved a great bit of the problems of the archery changes in Floris.
Hey, considering you know something about this,
I'm basically the opposite of the OP. I like the bow tweaks, but I'm not exactly a fan of the Floris Melee animations.
I found myself missing the bow tweaks after I replaced the actions.txt that was found in the "I want to remove a part of this mod" section. So it retains bracing, shield bashing, etc. but not the melee tweaks, which is what I was going for.
So in short, what's the easiest way to retain the missile tweaks?

Back
Top Bottom