Human population extremes

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Well, originally I was thinking about the exponential growth of the human race which makes it seem that the world might get very interesting all of a sudden.  Some links you can google such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

But then again, you never know, maybe next time we fire up one of those cyclotrons, you never know what might go wrong, implosion of all marmite factories or sexual disfunction in all males under 60 or maybe a totally new form of venereal disease. 

And I've came across this wiki which is interesting, suggesting that a lot of humans were suddenly wasted all of a sudden...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Genetic bottleneck theory[edit]

The Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 50,000 years ago,[29][30] which may have resulted from a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[31]

According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34]

Should we consider new measures to control the human population?  Like make copulation illegal for everyone under 60?  Or make it a law that people have to wear body sized condoms before they attempt to do so? 

and what is wrong with Soylent green?

Looking at more recent numbers you'll notice the growth of the human population
reached a peak in the 1960-70's, and since then the increase has begun to drop.
The world population is still growing but increasingly slowly.
This is mostly due to economic growth/welfare in some areas (like Asia and South America).
We can expect this to continue and might even - within about 100-150 years - see a world population that is stagnating, or even dropping.

That's of course speculation, but based on the past 200-300 years of economic/demographic data.

So hold off the euthanasia squads...

While I'm familiar with the Mount Toba eruption, I don't understand its relevance to the topic on hand. Because a freak natural disaster on a titanic scale decimated the human population relatively early on in our evolutionary history... we should impose reproduction restrictions now? Of course I'm just humoring you, seeing as you're probably stoned off your gourd. But still.

Also if you haven't read up on the Mt. Toba eruption, you really should. It's absolutely fascinating in its magnitude, and the effects of its aftermath are truly humbling.

David Attenborough told me that research shows that where women are afforded a decent education and have access to contraception the birth rate drops. So teach *****es stuff and throw johnnies everywhere.

Well, we can sure do with a new 'green' revolution and the Soylent green concept might just work.  I mean, think of all the food around us.  Only this time we focus on recycling technologies for a better, 'greener' future....

We need 'restaurants' with the signs 'free food'.  We're not lying, the 'free food' will be distributed to those that need it.  And we'll need some dyes to make it green.... 

Really need to watch that Charlton Heston movie again...  very educational....

It's so basic that it makes sense to make it a centralized good, although you would still need a secondary market for specialized/luxury foods.

Well...  its a matter of recycling...  market forces...  People are motivated the thought of something 'free' so they go through one end...  and... 

Just a marketing gimmick so that you can get mass people movement to join the 'cause'...  Someone pays of course.

And unfortunately the carbon emissions of 'processing' will be up.  But in the long term it will do the global carbon economy wonders.... 

We could create a new hierarchy of dark green, light green, purple... and the environmentally friendly soylent red.... 

Back
Top Bottom