Hall of Justice

Users who are viewing this thread

So the topic in various contexts and forms comes up a lot, justice systems, police abuse, morals in terms of crimes and so on and so forth. The thread it's being discussed in is rarely appropriate so I'm just making this one. It may not get a ton of activity, but if you want to discuss police abuse in the U.S. or Brazil, the over-burgeoning U.S. prison system, the ridiculously coddling nature of Scandinavian prisons, or political scandals involving judges or police officials, now there's a thread for it.

Austupaio said:
I believe what Bromden was implying is it's not so one dimensional.

Joe is in prison for Murder in the 2nd Degree after shooting a man who was found Not Guilty for the murder of Joe's wife.
Bill is in prison for Fraud, Larceny and Aggravated Assault after repeatedly swindling people through his car sales business and pyramid schemes, then attacking the person that testified against him.

Is Joe automatically worse than Bill? Not necessarily.

There you go, Rebel, I made the thread for you.

Docm30 said:
Lock 'em all up and let God sort 'em out, I say.
Hear, hear!

Beny said:
Aren't scandiweigan prisons just holiday camps though?
Yes, but that's nothing new, as I understand it they have been for quite some time but the internet is just starting to go on about it all the time now.

Úlfheðinn said:
America needs more prisons, harsher prison sentences and a greater focus on profit.  :iamamoron:
Absolutely! You and Docm are bring some real sense to this thread. :iamamoron:

Ok, on the reals, it would be nice for more proper research regarding prison sentence length and conditions.

People talk a lot about feelings and beliefs regarding crime and pubishment without very much useful information.

Not gonna happen in the U.S. with how privatized the prisons are, not if the research doesn't bolster profits somehow. The research would have to be very extensive anyway, or there would be many outliers. Much like the schools, due to the privatization, prisons can vary massively within a small area.

Prisons guard their documentation very strongly.

Yeah, the ideal would be something very large scale (international) and longitudinal.

Sadly that involves a ton of funding, time and as you said cooperation from prison officials, employees and inmates.

You got it, and you can barely get prison C/Os to cooperate with the FBI, much less private investigators. No idea about inmates, I'd imagine many would be helpful but at the same time, so many would lie or not say anything, either to be difficult for the sake of it or out of fear of the C/Os.

Out of curiosity since I'm not sure it's clicking for me, what do you mean by longitudinal in this context?

Repeated observatoons over a long period of time (usually several years).

A classic longitudinal design for a study would be following an individual over the course of their life (through regular surveys and interviews).

Gives great data but has a heavy cost (time/money).

I've been wondering why is the capital punishment in the US usually handed out with a sort of a poison or electric chairs? Would it not be faster and cheaper to use firearms or, even better, guillotines?

Back
Top Bottom