L'Aigle English Translation Download [version 3]

Users who are viewing this thread

This is a quick and dirty English/ Anglicized version of a few of the files for those who want it.  Obviously not required, and probably unwanted by the true Napoleonic Purists, but for the rest of us that are just here for the entertainment and want a little more clarity on who is who and what is what, I hope this helps (since I need the same thing for 1257 to truly enjoy it, immersion breaking or not).

Current version is for the 1.2 patch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hEdK6a2ZfIOUJOWUxxbV9na28/view?usp=sharing

I tried to limit the translations as much as possible.  Changed are the faction titles, troops names, and a few of the towns. 

Note: I couldn't resist the temptation to remove the criminal and theiftaker promotion trees since they seemed out of place to me... so that's in there too.  Although I did resist an unused troop that seemed fully fleshed but not included in a promotion tree (despite being obvious where he would be promoted from), and a strange seeming crossover promotion tree (fusilier became elite jager and vica versa) in case they were both as currently intended.

Simply download and copy the four files into the L'Aigle folder.

NOT save game compatible for the faction and town changes, but the troop names will convert.

I will try my best to keep this updated as Docm does his awesome mod.

Version 3 Incorporates changes to troops names to reflect time period accuracy as assisted by Bluehawk.

For the Russian faction, you've called the Preobrazhenskiy riflemen, but they have smooth-bore muskets, and you've called the Pavlovsk grenadiers a Guard unit when the mod is set in 1809, and they were not promoted into the Guard until 1813.

Also the Prussian Leib-Hussars are not a Guard unit either. The Austrian and Hungarian colourbearers who is supposed to carry the Leibfahne has been dubbed a "Guard" as well, probably because of the use of "Leib-".

Like I said, quick and dirty...

I really did just use google translate, with a liberal dosing of wikipedia searches into the war, for much of it since I'm not a polyglot nor a Napoleonic scholar.  Most of my military studies are WWI and after.

Would the following changes be good then (insert appropriately desired honorific here) Bluehawk?

Preobrazhenskiy Riflemen to Preobrazhenskiy Musketeers (or Infantry)?
Pavlovsk Guard Regiment Grenadiers to Pavlovsk Regiment Grenadiers?

It was indeed my translation of "Leib" to "Guard" (though much of my liberal use of the "Guard" term was a carrying down of the term from the Troop ID field use by Docm himself).  What would you suggest instead?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mr.Nock said:
With all due respect, good sir, this is utter heresy.

Noted, and with all due respect in return; my attitude towards your opinion in this matter matches yours with my endeavor.

Technically at this time the rankers of the Preobrazhenskiy regiment were all "grenadiers". The Leib-Hussars, sometimes translated as "body-" or "life-hussars" carry this honourific because their Chief was the King. As for the A-H colourbearers, the distinction of the Leibfahne was similar, in that it was a flag of a different colour than the rest to be carried by the "body-battalion", which was supposedly commanded by the regimental Inhaber (regardless of his royalty). Maybe at some point it meant that the formation was also the personal body-guard for the colonel or general in command, but by the Napoleonic era it lost that literal purpose. Likewise Bavaria had no guard infantry at all before 1814, so the Leib-Regiment (Nr 1) is used as the next best thing in the mod.

The British had a similar semi-elite corps of regiments that had the honourific "Royal" that set them apart from the rest, which were all at some point "adopted" by the King or a member of the royal family. Translating "Leib" as "Royal" though might raise a few eyebrows.

So perhaps the following changes then?

Austrian Guard Flagbearer > Austrian Body Battalion Flagbearer
Hungarian Guard Flagbearer > Hungarian Body Battalion Flagbearer
Bavarian Guard Grenadier > Bavarian Body-Regiment Grenadier
Pavlovsk Guard Regiment Grenadiers > Pavlovsk Regiment Grenadiers (and their Flagbearers)
Preobrazhenskiy Riflemen > Preobrazhenskiy Regiment Grenadiers

And what of the Cossacks?  Were their Guard units of their cavalry or is that another unit I need to find an alternative to the naming of (that is one of the units I simply brough the Guard designation down from the Troop Id of)?

Yes, there was a Guard Cossack Regiment. Those translations look fine to me, but I should mention that I won't use the mod as I prefer the original language terms, so if someone else chimes in on their preference regarding "body", "life" or just "Leib", then their taste should take priority over mine.

Fair enough.  It's just in my real-world experience a military rarely calls their enemy by their enemy's chosen title and language (and not just the dehumanization terms either) so it felt strange that each military's forces would be in their native tongue.

Back
Top Bottom