Spears being ineffective when used with shield?

Users who are viewing this thread

The following are cited in the link above.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,134185.0.html
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,233889.0.html

The main problem is that they require that swing damage for a spear equals thrust damage.
This is unacceptable because it turns spears into very long and fast two-hand axes.

The other problem is that it does not separate out thrusting of swords and horseback lances.

I think it would still be workable if we could find a way to restrict spears to thrusts only.
The creators suggest this but never explain how to do this.
Does anyone have a mod where spears cannot be swung?

In Brytenwalda, the game restricts all weapons (but spears?!) to noswing in mission-templates when in formation.
The coding is very complicated.

Would the no-swing method developed back in 2012? by ? make this new spear-shield animation possible?
Do any mods use the overhand underhand with spear animations or has it been abandoned as too flawed?

That's basically what I've been doing all along.
However, this one is tricky as
1) the no swing settings only apply to troops when in formation and the submod in question applies to the spears all the time.
If the player turns off formations, they would be let loose with extremely lethal and long two hand flying objects.
2) I  spent months developing innovations that in the end don't work due to x y and z conflicts.
So many ingenious developers have been working with this material for so long that there is probably a reason that this hasn't been put in any mods that I know of.
It's not even in Viking Conquest.

if you want enable dissable some animations from the weapon that is seriossly easy to do
1 thing what you need to do is edit item header.py
every constant here has animation names included in it
and what you need to do is just remove some of thems or make new constant with will be added to your spears

raw mod from the 1 versions used limited spear actions

Excuse me, i'm new here, but i understand that you want to have thrust and overhead thrust for spears, so the problem is with anim or with the damage that the spear do, because i mange to make over-thrust under-thrust by change the anim under "ready_overswing_musket anim" in action and using "Morghs M&B WB-WFAS Editor" to check in capabilities for overswing_musket [WFAS] and it work fine . 

@RGCotl What is the name of that mod please? Can i download it?

@BlackTower. I will try it out. A submodder before me checked that box for all spears and it caused the game to crash and caused the spears to not be able to thrust when it didn't crash. Is this just for WFAS? I'm using the MB Warband engine.

gdwitt said:

@BlackTower. I will try it out. A submodder before me checked that box for all spears and it caused the game to crash and caused the spears to not be able to thrust when it didn't crash. Is this just for WFAS? I'm using the MB Warband engine.
I think he meant Rome At War (RAW), it's in his signature.

gdwitt said:

That probable because he did not change the anim under "Musket_overswing_anim" so the game did not respond, but the anim i use i have take from the "Rome At War" mod, and it did work, by the way, you say that no mod did fix that "Rome At War" did fix it, and it work perfect .

Sahran's OSP kit and Vikingr pretty much pioneered the two attack directions for spears so you can also check them as Rome at War is based on both with some modifications in the code and an edited version of Vikingr's overhead animation thanks to Cifre. With that you could see more or less how it is implemented and how it plays out, RaW (and I assume Vikingr) replaces the musket melee overhead anim so there is no conflict with the one handed weapons and uses it for the overhead attack. This and some rebalancing and spears get to be a more viable option with a shield.

I know in Vanilla Warband, the ashwood pike and the heavy lance cannot be swung side-to-side, but can be used to stab and swing overhead. Maybe you could get ideas from them?

Is there a game that will actually release their source files for this submod?
It's hard to copy cat numbers in text files and get it working.
Again, that overhead musket swing box in Morgh's damaged all spear attacks; maybe I was missing an animation file.

Ashwood pike: Yes, it's easy to restrict movement animations in Morgh's but will that cause the overhead spear animation to not work?

Back
Top Bottom