10th Century Byzantine soldiers in scenes from the Book of Joshua

Users who are viewing this thread

What torso armour do you think is being depicted there? I think there are leather strips forming a skirt and shoulder protection, and on the torso there appears to be a harness of some sort around the upper chest, but I don't see much detail of the torso material. Do the dark spots represent scales do you think?

I'm not sure what the material is being displayed here, but I would not assume the skirts are metal or tough because someone is sitting on the chair with it. Could probably be a cascade of leather strips. The dark spots could be what is left over from paint because I would assume a tabard is being worn to identify what the person is representing.

Looks like a kind of lamellar, or gambeson to me. The pattern and shape would suggest a heavy padded jack underneath the covered harness, or maybe just steel plates cascading down in that slanted pattern.

There is no indication of rivets or holes/lacing to hold the lamellar together, but the artist may have simply not bothered to put that extra detail in. The way the skirt hangs and suddenly seems to end and fold could also suggest gambeson.

As for the chest harness, It is worn to press the weight of something onto the wearer's torso(to keep it off his shoulders), and I doubt that it is a gambeson that this is intended to bear the weight of.

So we comes to two possible conclusions.
A: The harness is helping to spread the weight of the long lamellar coat which the soldiers are wearing
or
B: The harness is spreading the weight of some sort of steel armour underneath the cloth vest, likely some form of scale, lamellar, or brigandine. This would mean that the skirt length part of the outfit is likely a gambeson.

most probably quilted armor, as in this quick guide from
Osprey - Warrior 118 - Byzantine Infantryman

tfpyebP.jpg

:idea: osprey inspired reconstructions from the
Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Uniforms of the Roman World

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

DSCF9223.jpg

DSCF9213.jpg

DSCF9221.jpg

DSCF9228.jpg

DSCF9226.jpg

DSCF9225.jpg

DSCF9212.jpg

DSCF9229.jpg

DSCF9230.jpg

DSCF9207.jpg

DSCF9227.jpg

DSCF9205.jpg

Matmohair, do you take these pictures yourself or are you a legendary google searcher? Lol

I can always rely on you to provide tons of illustrations on something.

I would also guess those supposed patterns were quilted because if those patterns were metal, the pointy ends would stab into the wearer.

Back
Top Bottom