[Werewolf] A Forum Affair III - Innocents win!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Werewolf: A Forum Affair III
DDoS Disaster!

It was a quiet morning on the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains. The sun rose over the plains; its light cut through the brown cloud hanging over the mile high city and reflected brightly off the snow capped peaks to the west. The confused trees struggled to reconcile the rapidly rising temperature with the dusting of snow that still clung to their needles and hid in their shadows. The few birds that had made their way back to the region tweeted a collective but peaceful, "**** this ****!" and began a flight several miles back to the south to wait for the weather to figure out what the hell it wanted to do. Suddenly a painful shriek shattered this still morning. Magorian sat groggily in bed, with a panic rapidly overtaking him. He couldn't connect to the forum.

A small number of similar, pitiful cries of anguish sprang up from all over the globe. Many thousands more households emitted a resounding, "Meh." before continuing on with normal lives. But for the first group, this was not an option. F5 buttons were ground to dust, monitors were shattered in frustration, nooses were prepared, and Redcoat - Mic fell off a cliff. It was a dark day, and news was slow. Some users were even desperate enough to create twitter accounts in the hope that Captain Lust would actually post something useful there. Eventually it was learned that the forum downtime was a result of a vicious DDoS attack of unknown origin.

Finally, after what seemed like years to some and a rather standard length day to others, the 404s stopped flowing, and the forum hummed to life. But not all was well. Confusion reigned. For the third time, apparently, a technical issue had left all of the forum profiles scrambled. Each poster found themselves in control of a profile that was not their own. Having had some experience with this issue, the forumites began attempting to resolve the issue in an orderly fashion. But before they knew what was happening, profile after profile was inexplicably banned. And it wasn't some **** with an admin profile changing profile pictures to match AK-47's classic in a brilliant spin on the cat April fools prank, they were really banned. A small group of fearless forumites hunkered down in off topic in the hopes of finding the culprits and returning the forum to its rightful, soapy, state. This is their story.

Game Status: Daytime. Deadline is Wednesday June 3rd at 8pm Mountain Time 4 alive.

Alive:
  • SootShade
  • Eternal
  • Phonemelter
  • Whoopin

Dead:
  • Xardob
  • Delta[K]
  • Llandy
  • Shatari
  • Adaham
  • Magorian's high school literature teacher, whose disappointment in this game's narration was overwhelming.

Game Log:

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  • You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  • There is no editing or removing of your posts. Please use the preview feature before you post.
  • There is no game related personal communication outside of this thread unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  • If you have a role with a night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline.  If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions. 
  • Any player with a night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that they do not want to perform their expected action that night phase.
  • All days have strict 5 day deadlines. Nights will last only 48 hours. Thus, a day/night cycle will last no more than one week.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  • A lynch requires a simply majority of votes from all living players.
  • Votes must be bolded. (e.g. Vote:  Player). Votes not in bold text will not be counted.
  • Vote revocations must be bolded or they will not be counted (e.g. Unvote: Player or Unvote).  Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  • You may Vote:  No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to night phase without a lynch.
  • If no majority vote has been reached by the deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
  • Gullible.
  • Once a simple majority has been reached no further voting or unvoting will be counted. The game moves directly to twilight.
  • All living players except the lynched player may continue to discuss during twilight.
  • Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  • Red or Purple text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  • Votecounts will be posted once per calendar day.
  • If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  • The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  • Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
  • Prods of missing players will be issued at the moderator's discretion. The excessive need for prodding will result in replacement without warning.
  • Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.  Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  • Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun!  Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Thanks to ejnomad for his work on the rules, from which this set is adapted!

Bearclaw!

Odds are good that I'll be gone all day tomorrow, depending on traffic. Just an FYI as to why I'm not in on opening spam chatter.

Also, while we're not required to open with a vote, I still feel compelled to Vote: Delta[K] on the grounds that no respecting player would ever use a '[' or a ']' in their name. Damn it [insert appropriate gender based title here], a literature teacher died for this game!

Vote: Delta[K], until someone tells me how he plays, because I was too lazy to pay any attention to most of the last game.

I've been awake for about twenty hours by now, so chances are that once I can finally go to sleep I'll be out for about twelve hours, so I'm also missing out on start. But as long as everyone else posts a little I'll be sure to name at least one wolf to make up for it, when I wake up. :razz:

Vote: Llandy

She hasn't posted yet. Mightily suspicious.

- just a heads up: my parents are visiting us and today is their last day here, so I won't be around a lot to post today. Tomorrow will be better, I assume.

Shatari said:
Also, while we're not required to open with a vote, I still feel compelled to Vote: Delta[K] on the grounds that no respecting player would ever use a '[' or a ']' in their name. Damn it [insert appropriate gender based title here], a literature teacher died for this game!

Aw, come on it's a chemistry reference! The change in the concentration of something? Yeah? No?  :iamamoron:

Vote: Adaham

Might as well team up with the only other female here (referring to Llandy not Xardob).

OK, time to break the ice and play the game. It's a strange atmosphere, everybody seems to be careful not to be the first one to draw attention by doing something "too funny" or other "page 1 slip-ups".

What I find most striking, though, is that the "random voting" stage has yielded already three people who piled votes on others. While none of those is a real threat to the person voted, it seems like it's an easy way out to participate in the joke voting without actually leaning out of the window and potentially prodding somebody who might not like it.

In short...Soot's second vote on Delta was already a bit strange, but Llandy's and especially Delta's 2nd and 3rd vote on me smell iffy. Maybe it's supposed to be part of the "welcome back"-committee, but I think this is just a good cover for wolves looking for an easy entrance into the game.

Also this:

Shatari said:
Odds are good that I'll be gone all day tomorrow, depending on traffic. Just an FYI as to why I'm not in on opening spam chatter.

So you're not into opening chatter, yet you follow up your opening random vote with a very chatty explanation that clearly isn't serious?

Ah, I didn't realize Delta placed a 3rd vote on you - makes the "I am going to team up with Llandy" thing even more suspicious.

I realize this is now my third post, so I am going to try and tone it down a bit for a while. My doctor told me the spam was bad for my health and wrote a prescription for (more) drunken and/or phone posts to slow down my activity.

Unvote

While I don't think it's dangerous to leave my vote, being the target of a day one bandwagon has made me a little more cautious.

I'll post more when I'm not on crappy mobile internet.

Unvote. (I forgot that we're supposed to lime these now.) There's a few too many people dogpiling on the first page. I know it's only 5 to lynch, but it's not really kosher to get the votes needed on someone as a joke.

Adaham said:
So you're not into opening chatter, yet you follow up your opening random vote with a very chatty explanation that clearly isn't serious?
I'm usually into the opening chatter (it's my favorite part of the game), I just don't have time to really kid around as normal due to road trips.

Adaham said:
Soot's second vote on Delta was already a bit strange, but Llandy's and especially Delta's 2nd and 3rd vote on me smell iffy. Maybe it's supposed to be part of the "welcome back"-committee...

The welcome-back committee has nothing to do with why I voted you.

Phonemelter said:
"Teaming up" sounds awfully like "I'm going to find an excuse to buddy up with someone I know is innocent."

This, this, and more of this. Alternatively, Delta[K] is new and this is packie behavior.

I'd vote her but she's got two votes already,

Vote: Whoopin

Eternal said:
I'd vote her but she's got two votes already,

:facepalm:

She's got one vote, Shatari withdrew his. What do you think of his reasoning for that, BTW? Here is what Shatari said.

Shatari said:
Unvote. (I forgot that we're supposed to lime these now.) There's a few too many people dogpiling on the first page. I know it's only 5 to lynch, but it's not really kosher to get the votes needed on someone as a joke.

You'll recall a recent game where you were all over myself/Melter tag-team for voicing our concern about a vote-rush when only 4 votes were needed and we already had fifty percent of them -- a situation which, I'm sure you can agree, warrants greater concern than a player getting 2/5 of the votes.

Any thoughts about this? Does it look panicky? Do you think he's overreacting? Trying to drop off the wagon on an innocent in the wake of Xardob's vote withdrawal so that it doesn't look suspicious? You have the benefit of hindsight now so I'd be interested in your thoughts on Shatari's concern.

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
The welcome-back committee has nothing to do with why I voted you.

The only other reason that I could think of would be OMGUS, which doesn't make your vote look any better than in the previous scenario.

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
You'll recall a recent game where you were all over myself/Melter tag-team for voicing our concern about a vote-rush when only 4 votes were needed and we already had fifty percent of them -- a situation which, I'm sure you can agree, warrants greater concern than a player getting 2/5 of the votes.
My dear. Learn to count. That was 3/5 votes, which is 60% and therefore more than the 50% you quoted. But I'm not really all that worried about the amount of votes on me, but it did catch my attention as something a wee bit strange. Almost as strange as what seems to come across as you defending Delta. Maybe she wasn't after all following the lead of somebody who she knew was innocent, but rather  following the lead of a packmate?

Adaham said:
My dear. Learn to count. That was 3/5 votes, which is 60% and therefore more than the 50% you quoted.

DeltaK's votes were Shatari and Soot.
Your votes were Xardob, myself and DeltaK

Xardob's vote withdrawal did take YOU down to 2/5 but Shatari's vote-withdrawal on the player who is not you did not in any way alter the votes on YOU because he never voted for you. We're not talking about the votes on you here, we're talking about the votes on DeltaK.

Lern 2 count :wink:

Maybe she wasn't after all following the lead of somebody who she knew was innocent, but rather  following the lead of a packmate?

So you think she's packmates with Xardob? Interesting, interesting...

Back
Top Bottom