sooo is this game alive? and why is it popular

Users who are viewing this thread

modybird

Recruit
ok first of all are the servers alive in this game? Second im just wondering how people have hundreds of hours of gameplay in this game when its just a point and click rpg

This is not alive, as is evidenced by the roughly 400 people playing the game at a time.

Seriously, though, it is dying, but it's been doing so for years. We're still alive and kicking enough for it to be enjoyable. "Point and click" is a very, very simplified description of how it's played, but still accurate I suppose. Personally, I find it fun for a few reasons:

1. Proving myself and working my way up the ranks of a regiment is fun.

2. Each linebattle is a test of teamwork. There are 200 people on a server at a time, and though there are a few people that become popular figures, any battle can be affected by any person. Do the right things, and your team rolls to victory. Do it wrong, you fail. It's simplistic, but it's a fun type of simplicity, and one that people can never completely master.

3. The people I've met through regiments and linebattles make it enjoyable. Each regiment is a gaming community, and some of the people in them are truly interesting people who I enjoy knowing. A 1 hour linebattle every few days is a great time to play together doing something we enjoy.

NickyJ said:
This is not alive, as is evidenced by the roughly 400 people playing the game at a time.

Seriously, though, it is dying, but it's been doing so for years. We're still alive and kicking enough for it to be enjoyable. "Point and click" is a very, very simplified description of how it's played, but still accurate I suppose. Personally, I find it fun for a few reasons:

1. Proving myself and working my way up the ranks of a regiment is fun.

2. Each linebattle is a test of teamwork. There are 200 people on a server at a time, and though there are a few people that become popular figures, any battle can be affected by any person. Do the right things, and your team rolls to victory. Do it wrong, you fail. It's simplistic, but it's a fun type of simplicity, and one that people can never completely master.

3. The people I've met through regiments and linebattles make it enjoyable. Each regiment is a gaming community, and some of the people in them are truly interesting people who I enjoy knowing. A 1 hour linebattle every few days is a great time to play together doing something we enjoy.

sooo its dead?

NickyJ said:
Yup. Absototalutely. Anyway, off to play on one of the filled 200 slot servers of this "dead" game. See ya.
someone send me  screenshot of the server list lol

You have eyes, use them.  Clearly you have never been in an event.  Join one of the "point and click adventure" regiments and you will attend 200 player events multiple times a week.

warband has been having 200 player servers for like 4 years now. Actaully 250 player servers back in in mount & musket in 2011 and 2012. The game isn't dead its just not as big as it was when NW came out.

This game is totally dead, there's only like 10 servers that have enough people to play with, not counting Commander battles.

Mount and Blade: Warband and the Napoleonic Wars DLC are hanging on for now. I'd consider the game alive because it has a very dedicated community - you'll find a lot of M&B players have upwards of 1000 hours on the game and that is largely because of the vast amount of different clans and regiments. It may be the case that the community is not as large as it has been in the past but I think myself and many other community members would agree that the game's community is not going anywhere - especially with more members being added every so often by Steam sales of the game, and regiments on Napoleonic Wars receiving more recruits as time goes on.

The game is popular because the combat system is easy to initially learn but difficult to master which in itself creates something to work towards - becoming 'good at melee' is rewarding in itself. The vast majority of players play for the online multi player of the game, rather than the single player campaign. The level of discipline and teamwork in regiments and clans (even in 'less disciplined' groups) amazes some people (how many other games do people form lines and allow themselves to be shot at?) which is another attractive element of the game. I, for example, bought the game solely for that reason after watching YouTube videos of regiments. Large scale events for both Native Warband and Napoleonic Wars and even for popular community mods like North and South or Full Invasion are frequent and something people tend to look forward to and is largely a reason for the success of the game.

Plus, I really don't know what you mean by 'point and click' - can you elaborate?

EDIT: Just realised I necroed this thread. Whoops.

Yes, it is alive.

And for a game that is more than 5 years old, it is not dying.

multiplayer servers list
http://mbportal.org.ua/serverlist-lic/gameservers.php

bifutake said:
Why is it popular? Because it's fun?

I feel it's part due to it being fun and part due to publicity though youtube and word of mouth. But it's hard to say which plays a bigger part. Me it mainly due to the entire mount and blade series is fun. I got my friends into it and one them also stated that part of why they wanted to try out Napoleonic wars was due to videos on youtube. For me I got into the mount and blade games was due to watching youtube videos.

I think it also has to do with the fact that -nobody- does this kind of game. Napoleonic-era shooter with realistic, wildly inaccurate guns that actually reflects the technology and tactics of the era? Nobody makes that game.

I only recently discovered M&B due to the Steam sale, and after a little time in Native, I'm starting to really enjoy the MP chaos of Napoleon.

Back
Top Bottom