mercenary recruitment, speeds, Units, and Cavalry

Users who are viewing this thread

illyrian

Recruit
I personally am a big history buff and i want to tell the developers that this is the best game that i have ever played till this day. THe AI is amazing, just a few touch ups.

I like the recruitment that the developers have chosen to represent, but i would like to add a few more.

Mercs should be everywhere, ready for recruitment, maybe up their pay alittle.
I think that the development team should think of allowing pirates to be bribed into service, always raising the price for higher quality troops.
Allowing the human player to equip units to their benefit. Example, the player to equip his peasants as archers, skirmishers, or regular swordmen (or give them a horse). As peasants they would not have much body armour, as chainmail, or they shouldn't be able to be equiped with latter level weaponry.
Then after they upgrade, giving them more morale, and a change to upgrade their equipment.
Skirmishers with heavy javelins should be able to impale shields,-->and units with shields should discart them on the battlefield after being impaled.
i think that units speed for moving sideways and backward should be in half, to show that is not a natural movement.
Arrows should slow down horses and less manageable, or any other units to make it more realistic. The visuals of arrows stuck in shields, etc are simply amazing. I hate when i see units full of arrows in them, run faster then units with full life.
Large javelins should impale the horse, make it unusable

The game would be more interesting if the players' money could be used to better his army, not just to pile up, and then loose it when beaten by Ai. I think that AI should have the same advantage. It is not fun to see a human player dominate AI. It would be boring.

There should be many units' speeds
Skermishers, and archers should be the fastest of all. They should not resort to combat too quickly. Their low armour should make them very agile.
The heavier the troops get the slower they should be, as a peasant without armour should be able to outrun a soldier in chainmail or tower shield. Until now it has not been the case. I have seen a FULLY armoured soldier outrun me and kill me when i should sopposedly have a higher level of speed.
Here, formation should be a big part. Allowing units to enter formations.
Pikemen should enter square or triangle formations.
Heavy cavalry should have triangle formation.
Cav archers should have loose formation.
ALL UNITS SHOULD HAVE FATIGUE play a big part on the battlefield.

War horses should not have the same speed as hunting horse, or steppe cavalry. Steppe cavalry should be shorter in height and more manageble then a war horse, and faster as they were breed for hit and run tactics.
Hunting Horses should be the fastest of them all, since their title "Hunting" means that they have to stay at speeds with the prey.

Each hero human player recruits should be allowed to have their own army, and according their attributes, it should reflect they way of play.

Example: Hunter: give him an upper hand with archery, long range or accuracy from which his units (mostly archers, javelinmen,etc) should be most deadly with the bow.

Squire should be better with horses, the only one allowed to get to war horse, and his army should have an upper hand with cavalry (strongest).

Merchant should be able to have the largest army, as his skills should be able to afford him a larger army at a lower cost, then everyone else. His units should not have the highest morale as they should reflect their payments, which would be less then others.

THe priest should be infantry oriented, and because of his faith bonus, he should have the most fanatical units. Only he can recruit (fanatics, special units) or (knights hospitalers, crusaders) bonus of his faith. His units should have highest morale.

Heroes or captains in charge of a war band, should be able to recruit their own bodyguard. 5-10 soldiers that would fight around you. That would prolonge the battle, and you can always be sure to have your back protected. What do you think. The bodyguard should be separate, and more expensive than the rest of the army.

This is how i see the game go. It is a great game. Amazing work for the team, and i hope that they allow conquests to happen and sieges, with siege ladders siege towers and battering rams. I am hoping, but again, hats off to the team.

Good suggestions, but if armor is going to slow you down I definitely want directional movement speeds. Its annoying enough having someone sprint backwards while shooting a bow - making them faster would just make melee infantry unplayable.

The Pope said:
Good suggestions, but if armor is going to slow you down I definitely want directional movement speeds. Its annoying enough having someone sprint backwards while shooting a bow - making them faster would just make melee infantry unplayable.

well, that will teach you something: Dont mess with archers!!

Argh... such a long post, but so few new ideas.

Stamina has been suggested, carrying stuff already slows you down, the different classes have different attributes and skills (They're meant to give your character a premise, not tie you down), you can already give troops to your heroes, sieges have been suggested, formations have been suggested...

Read the frequent suggestions thread.

i think that units speed for moving sideways and backward should be in half, to show that is not a natural movement.

These are good suggestions. I haven't read all of them yet, but some of them struck me as good.

Bribing pirates and such. Why not? Although IMO they should be outnumbered. Can you imagine a guy with two knights going to 35 or so Sea Raiders saying 'Would you care to fight for me for 50 denars a week?'

Javelins and such impaling shields. I'm not in favor of completely discarding the shield. What if you'd have to 'clear the shield' after a set amount of projectiles hit it? Every projectile would have a different value as to how many of them there can be stuck to a shield. Javelins would be the ones that require removing the most, because they are the biggest things there are that you can lanch at an enemy. If you don't remove the things shot at you, your speed of movement and the speed at which you ready the shiel would both be decreased.

illyrian said:

I agree, i was going to post this myself, its really annoying to see someone move about 20kmh in every direction rapidly, and people fighting when running backwards and fight better that way.

only good idea is the
*half the sideways and backward movement*
so now your dear and killak archers wont move as fast when going back

I was just thinking about a new feature.
Heroes or captains in charge of a war band, should be able to recruit their own bodyguard. 5-10 soldiers that would fight around you. That would prolonge the battle, and you can always be sure to have your back protected. What do you think. The bodyguard should be separate, and more expensive than the rest of the army.

Back
Top Bottom