How does a units level affect its stats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello.
I have been using Morgh's editor for a while now, mostly to create new units.
One question that poped up in my mind was what effect the units level has.

Example: I create a new unit called "German Mercenary" (any already existing merc can upgrade to it)
The German Mercenary has stats 300 one-handed, 20 Strength, 10 Iron Flesh... But is level 1.
How does beeing level 1 affect his other stats/skills compared to if he was let's say level 50?

Level 1 troop will always have stats as defined in the module file. Higher level troops may have increased stats if defined values are too low. Define a few troops with zero stats and varying levels to see the progression that the game uses.

Oh, and hps. Higher level means more hit points.

Here's a random example of troop from Module System  (I think it explains itself) :

["hadvog_chieftain","Hadvog Chieftain","Hadvog Chieftains",tf_guarantee_boots|tf_guarantee_armor|tf_guarantee_gloves|tf_guarantee_helmet|tf_guarantee_horse|tf_guarantee_shield,0,0,fac_kingdom_4,
  [itm_fighting_axe,itm_tab_shield_round_e,
itm_chieftain_armour,itm_nord_coat_of_plates,itm_nord_splinted_greaves,itm_nord_ornate_visored_helmet,itm_hadvog_jarl_helm,itm_gauntlets,itm_mail_mittens],
  def_attrib|level(2:cool:,wp_one_handed (160) | wp_two_handed (130) | wp_polearm (130) | wp_throwing (75),knows_common| knows_ironflesh_8|knows_power_strike_3,hadvog_face_middle_1, hadvog_face_older_2],

stats/skills have nothing to do with level, it's the modder's job to balance them at will ...

Thanks for the help everyone!

So to summarize this: My level 1 German Mercenary will have the same stats (will be as effective in battle) as my level 50 German mercenary, if all other stats except level are the same, yes?

Also, i can confirm that level does not affect HP. Strength and Iron Flesh affects HP.

Actually level does affect stats in a couple of game relevant ways

1- As Masterancza said, messing with the level will affect the wage of the troops. Given that the wage scales quadratically with level, having really high or low level troops can give ridiculous wages.
Unless you're doing something unusual, it's usually best to stay in the 5-25 range.

2 - You know the way that the in game stats are never exactly what the files say they should be? The game adds extra skill points at random to all troops, with higher level troops getting more.
The result is that if you make your top level troop level one it will turn out somewhat weaker than expected, as it gets no bonuses.

3 - This is the biggest problem as I see it. You see, the game defines a 'power level' thing for all parties, based on the number and level of troops in it. This power level is used for several things;
determining whether enemies run from you, determining the results of ordering your men to fight without you, who wins when two AI forces fight each other.
The result is that an army of level one troops, however effective they may be in an actual fight, will not scare even a villager party and would likely lose to one in an auto-resolved battle. And since
all battles between AI parties are decided in that way, any AI lords who use a significant number of them will get wasted with ease when they fight one that doesn't. For ultra high level troops
you get the opposite problem.

4 - Unit level controls the cost and experience requirements of upgrading your way up to it - very important if you want your unit to be part of a unit tree.

There may well be some other problems I haven't thought of. In general it's best to keep unit levels in a normal range, unless you're trying something weird and/or intending to alter some
of the scripts determining the effects of unit level.

Lav said:
Oh, and hps. Higher level means more hit points.

How so? As far as I know, the only things that increase a troop's hp (outside of scripts) are ironflesh and strength.

Nitrovore said:
You know the way that the in game stats are never exactly what the files say they should be? The game adds extra skill points at random to all troops, with higher level troops getting more.
The result is that if you make your top level troop level one it will turn out somewhat weaker than expected, as it gets no bonuses.
So if a troop is level 1 and has 300 in one-handed, the in-game stats will be exactly 300? No bonus, right?

ModestyBlaise said:
So if a troop is level 1 and has 300 in one-handed, the in-game stats will be exactly 300? No bonus, right?

That's my understanding of it, although I've not actually checked and can't at the moment due to some computer issues  :sad: Give it a go if you're curious.

This does seem to be the case as far as i can tell. Level 1 troops does not appear to get either negative or positive bonuses as they behave the way as expected with the stats given to them.

There is a script in Brytenwalda modules_scripts that assigns deaths to autoresolved battles based on skill levels.
The modder can exaggerate or decrease this bonus.
For normal troops, level, not ironflesh, determines their survivability.

gdwitt said:
There is a script in Brytenwalda modules_scripts that assigns deaths to autoresolved battles based on skill levels.
The modder can exaggerate or decrease this bonus.
For normal troops, level, not ironflesh, determines their survivability.
The players level of surgery skill also determins this, right? I used TweakMB to get the skill to 15 instead of 10, somehow this gives my troops a (slightlymore than) 100% chance to get knocked down rather than killed in battle.

Sorry for nercropost, but I really need the answer.

1) How does the level relate to troops' HP?
2) How to turn off auto assigning troops' stats based on level? If it becomes possible to do it, things come to player's control more than to PC's.

Level doesn't have anything to do with those things, it's the excess attribute/skill/wpt points being allocated per level when you start a game that has this effect. To mitigate this take a look at how they did the stats for multiplayer troops - give them excess charisma and useless skills so that there are none left to be distributed.

Somebody said:
Level doesn't have anything to do with those things, it's the excess attribute/skill/wpt points being allocated per level when you start a game that has this effect. To mitigate this take a look at how they did the stats for multiplayer troops - give them excess charisma and useless skills so that there are none left to be distributed.

So if unit has randomly distributed attributes if only it has less attributes than it would have with such a level, and the same way with skills and wpf?

I am sorry, but the question still bothers me.

Do troops only get points for being of high level if the game decides that they have less points than they should?
What if there is a vice versa situation and they have more points than the should?
Can I just turn this off entirely?

Back
Top Bottom