Complaint about problems with browsing on mobile devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Vraelomon said:
There seems to me to be a minor problem with profile statistics on the default theme, depending on how you have your profile laid out. The posting time by hour looks rather cramped.
6WN9A.jpg
Hmm, on checking into it, that one only shows up looking like that when you're on a really narrow screen such as a phone and have specifically toggled the profile navigation buttons which show along the top to instead be displayed as a column on the left of the profile view, narrowing the actual main content area down to even less width. I'd recommend toggling that back (the ">>" icon at the top of the left menu column there in the profile view), but it's up to you. Still, it's good to have these things pointed out, as they're worth addressing in some way. I'll look into it making it fit better in those circumstances.

Phonemelter said:
A little better, but still awkward.
Again, please elaborate. What specifically about it is awkward?

It feels incredibly smushed together and makes the page longer than it has to be. It's also awkward from the standpoint of "This thing that was once exactly like our desktop PCs that we had grown very used to is now suddenly horrible"

Janus said:
Hmm, on checking into it, that one only shows up looking like that when you're on a really narrow screen such as a phone and have specifically toggled the profile navigation buttons which show along the top to instead be displayed as a column on the left of the profile view, narrowing the actual main content area down to even less width. I'd recommend toggling that back (the ">>" icon at the top of the left menu column there in the profile view), but it's up to you. Still, it's good to have these things pointed out, as they're worth addressing in some way. I'll look into it making it fit better in those circumstances.
I just found out that turning my kindle sideways fixes it anyway. I don't know why I didn't think of that  :facepalm:

Janus said:
Again, please elaborate. What specifically about it is awkward?

As Epicrules said, it still feels smushed together. Personally, I'd prefer 25% or 33% more width or so. Also, maybe you should keep the avatars, but remove the signatures - the images are being resized to be tiny and the text being the same size as posts make things look strange. I also have to keep zooming out on every page load, but that might be a problem on my end.

Vraelomon said:
Janus said:
I just found out that turning my kindle sideways fixes it anyway. I don't know why I didn't think of that  :facepalm:
Well, it's fixed now anyway. That side menu column is now able to shrink to more narrow when needed, and the hour text in those cells can now break down further so that it can't end up with any of that text obscured from being crammed too tight.

Epicrules said:
It feels incredibly smushed together and makes the page longer than it has to be. It's also awkward from the standpoint of "This thing that was once exactly like our desktop PCs that we had grown very used to is now suddenly horrible"
Hmm. I personally don't feel that the content is overly "smushed together" as it currently stands for small screens, maybe just a bit cramped when viewing posts due to the avatar being shown, but from the response regarding avatars so far, that's not going to change.

However...
For very small screens (phones), I've now gone ahead and tweaked the avatar section on posts to be 2/3 of its normal size, 100px instead of 150px. Avatars and rank icons will be scaled down to fit where necessary.

Phonemelter said:
Also, maybe you should keep the avatars, but remove the signatures - the images are being resized to be tiny and the text being the same size as posts make things look strange.
The signature section may still end up getting hidden for really small screens (phones). There is currently 1 person for keeping it and 1 person (you) for removing it. We'll see how that goes.

Could we just do a poll thread for this? We did one that yielded the insufferable new smileys, couldn't we do one to see whether or not we should keep the insufferable layout?

Epicrules said:
Could we just do a poll thread for this? We did one that yielded the insufferable new smileys, couldn't we do one to see whether or not we should keep the insufferable layout?
I'm not planning on getting rid of it, no. You're welcome to continue contributing details on what specifically you don't like or suggestions on what can be improved.

EDIT:
By the way, any desktop users curious what this whole thing is all about can preview what it would look like by resizing their browser window to be more narrow. You should see it automatically resize some things and in a few cases remove other things as the widow gets more narrow.
Do note that I'm not quite as interested in desktop user opinions as those of people using mobile devices which actually have narrower screens.

Teofish said:
Nope. And apparently I can't find where to do that on this bloody 'droid.
Chrome on Android, right? Tap the little 3-dot icon at upper right, choose Settings, then under Advanced, choose Privacy. Tap the "Clear Browsing Data" button. You might want to uncheck the other options, and just leave "Clear the cache" selected. Then tap the Clear button.
I should note that normally you can just click the Reload button on the page you're looking at and often that will reload images and CSS files used by the page.

Teofish said:
Right. Tried reloading the page and logging out/in again already. Will this wipe all my 15+ open tabs?
All the "Clear the cache" option will do is delete all stored (cached) copies of images, CSS, and similar files, so that those files have to be downloaded by the browser again when a page is next visited or refreshed. It's safe to do.
If you left the other options selected to be cleared as well beyond just the cache, those could have potentially unwanted effects for you. Clearing cookies for instance would log you out of most sites, among other things.

Bromden said:
My avatar (and probably the others' too, but mine I'm sure of) has deteriorated in quality. Can this be because of the current changes?
I assume you're viewing on a phone or small tablet, which makes it use the narrower avatar section sized down to 100px wide from the normal 150px wide so that the posts themselves have more width, and it has the browser scale avatars and rank icons down as needed to fit in that width. I mentioned that earlier. With your browser scaling some avatars down, the avatar might not look quite as good depending on how good the browser's image scaling methods are.

I get that, but when I'm opening my avatar in a separate tab (only the image), even from the profile settings page, the deteriorated quality stays, with blurry edges and a hair-like artifact thing on the top right. It weren't like that before (I don't know how long before, though).

Bromden said:
I get that, but when I'm opening my avatar in a separate tab (only the image), even from the profile settings page, the deteriorated quality stays, with blurry edges and a hair-like artifact thing on the top right. It weren't like that before (I don't know how long before, though).
The quality looks fine to me, but if I squint at your avatar I do see a faint horizontal line in the upper right. If your original avatar is wider than 150px or taller than 200px, it is physically resized to fit those dimensions by the forum software when you upload or specify it. That would have been the case from whenever you actually uploaded the avatar, though, not something new.

Amontadillo said:
Since the theme troubles seem to be mostly solved, could I perhaps draw attention to this? I didn'T see a response to this yet.
Magorian Aximand said:
I've also been unable to connect via cellular data, I just get stuck in a loop on the browser check page. But that's been happening for a little while longer. I just haven't complained yet. :razz:
Amontadillo said:
I'm having the same issue that was mentioned about getting stuck in the browser check loop when not on wifi. [as in from phone]
Not being able to browse from phone has locked me out of the forum completely for the last few days due to having no regular access.
I've been trying to look into this problem with Cloudflare's browser check, I'm not finding much information on what could cause it that would apply to the forum here. The most common causes don't apply here. What browser are you using, and on what platform (Android, iOS)? Do you have cookies and Javascript enabled? Do you have any Ad block plugins or similar installed (including stuff like Ghostery)?
Also, could you go to the site linked below while on cellular internet (with the redirect loop occurring on the forum), and PM me with the IP it indicates along with the proxy if one is indicated? You'll of course need to bookmark or remember the link.
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Back
Top Bottom