"Veggie"-table

Users who are viewing this thread

GERRY

Knight
Was pretty surprised when I saw that such a thread is non-existent on taleworlds.
Anyway this thread is for vegetarians/vegans. Its more intended to be a useful tips and similar thread than a place to discuss it.
Trolls will be fed Tofu.

So ill start off with something I'd call a good tip: popped Amaranth (thats something similar to Quinoa) on oats or cereals in the morning. Tastes very nice, kind of sweet and has lots of proteins. I eat oats every morning for years already and that kind of gets boring after a while so I was pretty excited when I found it. Its available in most health food shops.

I guess my advice would be "go to an Indian restaurant". They're the only place around here where you can get a vegetarian meal that's not a ****ing salad.

I'm completely fine with eating Indian food that's vegetarian. Mostly because it's not trying to mimick food that has meat in it. As soon as you try to pass off vegetarian food in place of meat, it starts to taste gross. For instance, tofu burgers are gross, but I love tofu in a lot of Japanese food, because in that application it's not meant to replace meat, it just simply is an ingredient they use. Inari is delicious.

kurczak said:
I guess my advice would be "go to an Indian restaurant". They're the only place around here where you can get a vegetarian meal that's not a ****ing salad.
Indians have the lowest rate of meat consumption in the world, so that's where you want to go.
I suppose when 1/3 of a population is vegetarian they know how make vegetarian food properly.  :smile:

Yeah, I like how they have the mandatory (or at least very common?) package labels that clearly states whether or not the food contains any meat. Would make my life a lot easier. Probably not happening anytime soon, since apart from me, the only vegetarian people here are the kind of people with beads and bees in their beards.

Tibertus said:
I'm completely fine with eating Indian food that's vegetarian. Mostly because it's not trying to mimick food that has meat in it.

I really dont like these vegan imitations of meat and sausages etc. They all taste the same and are in 90% of cases made out of soy which I dont appreciate. The only imitation of non vegan food I like is vegan cheese made of water and herbal fats and other minor stuff. Tastes delicious.

My brother is vegan and ordered lots of food from a German company named "saitzen" or something like that.

I tried lots of, Weißwurst was revolting, Landjäger was okay and the gyros was alright aswell.
They all had a plastic kinda taste.

Ah yes Seitan Gyros! I tried that on a veggie day a few weeks ago and it was alright yea. I still prefer falafel in my Döner though

Why not just try to do it on the side? Like in addition to normal meat eating habits.
See how it goes.

Tibertus said:
Again, when it's not trying be something it's not, vegetarian food can be delicious.
Yeah, same for me.
It's the forced thing that ruins it for me. And the fact that I know the original will always be better.

Wellenbrecher said:
Why not just try to do it on the side? Like in addition to normal meat eating habits.

What do you mean? It isn't the no-meat thing that is problematic for me, but I have a strong dislike of all kinds of beans, soy, eggs, seitan, etc, so most of the protein I would get would come from nuts and bread, which is limiting/not exactly ideal.

Havoc said:
GERRY said:
vegan cheese made of water and herbal fats and other minor stuff. Tastes delicious.

I have ventured into the wrong thread.

Tastes a lot better than you would expect

brot_tomate-basilikum.jpg

Phonemelter said:
Wellenbrecher said:

What do you mean? It isn't the no-meat thing that is problematic for me, but I have a strong dislike of all kinds of beans, soy, eggs, seitan, etc, so most of the protein I would get would come from nuts and bread, which is limiting/not exactly ideal.
Ah ok, I misunderstood you then. Sorry.

GERRY said:
Havoc said:
GERRY said:
vegan cheese made of water and herbal fats and other minor stuff. Tastes delicious.

I have ventured into the wrong thread.

Tastes a lot better than you would expect

brot_tomate-basilikum.jpg
I tried one of those.

They smell bad and you should feel bad. (You probably will anyhow once you eat it)

Phonemelter said:
Wellenbrecher said:

If that's really the only issue, you can get more than enough protein from dairy (hard quark cheese is a total protein bomb, hard to come by in the US, though), nuts, buckwheat, quinoa and other high-protein pseudo-cereal. Or just whey-based supplements. It does require some planning and conscious shopping, but it's not a big deal

Protein is imo overrated, sort of a nutritional fad as counterpart to the "carbs are bad" hysteria. Not to mention the protein most people consume is typically wrapped in tons of fats, so the overall effect is not that great anyway.

Yeah, more things I do not like very much.  :razz: The last time I had blood tests my protein results were a bit on the lower side of the "good range," which is why I am a bit wary about getting enough.

How anyone can willfully not eat meat is beyond me. Well, it's really not, but still. It's tasty  :sad:
In fact, I think Iltl start going full on carnivore out of spite.

Vraelomon said:
How anyone can willfully not eat meat is beyond me. Well, it's really not, but still. It's tasty  :sad:

Because as Jeremy Bentham summed it up so nicely:
The day has been, I am sad to say in many places it is not yet past, in which the greater part of the species, under the denomination of slaves, have been treated by the law exactly upon the same footing, as, in England for example, the inferior races of animals are still. The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights which never could have been witholden from them but by the hand of tyranny. The French have already discovered that the blackness of the skin is no reason a human being should be abandoned without redress to the caprice of a tormentor. It may one day come to be recognised that the number of the legs, the villosity of the skin, or the termination of the os sacrum are reasons equally insufficient for abandoning a sensitive being to the same fate. What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason or perhaps the faculty of discourse? But a full-grown horse or dog, is beyond comparison a more rational, as well as a more conversable animal, than an infant of a day or a week or even a month, old. But suppose the case were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?
Vraelomon said:
In fact, I think Iltl start going full on carnivore out of spite.

That will show us.

Back
Top Bottom