Terry Pratchett dies at 66.

Users who are viewing this thread

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-author-of-the-discworld-series-dies-aged-66

I'm gonna miss the new books. The Night Watch and Moist von Lipwig books are some of my favourites, and it's pretty sad to see him go.

I just hope that his legacy won't be now dragged all over the place by money-greedy vultures and be allowed to rest in peace with him. I really doubt anyone is capable to capture the Discworld feeling well enough to continue the series.

Damn it. :ohdear:
I know he was a major euthanasia proponent and suffering heavily from the belligerent disease robbing him of his mind, but I didn't think he would pass away so soon.  :sad:

Discworld is a comic fantasy book series written by the English writer Terry Pratchett, set on the fictional Discworld, a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin. The books frequently parody, or take inspiration from, J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft and William Shakespeare, as well as mythology, folklore and fairy tales, often using them for satirical parallels with current cultural, political and scientific issues. The series is popular, with more than 80 million books sold in 37 languages.[1][2]

Wow, never heard of them. Sounds like he was a wonderful guy and a great author though. Sad to see him go. RIP Sir Pratchett.

Death must be having an interesting conversation. Is Pratchett entitled to answer himself his own "What happens now" question, being The Maker™?

Do not look here said:
I just hope that his legacy won't be now dragged all over the place by money-greedy vultures and be allowed to rest in peace with him. I really doubt anyone is capable to capture the Discworld feeling well enough to continue the series.
Who has the overall rights to the series? His publisher, or his wife and daughter?

Vraelomon said:
Son of a *****, I was going to read Discworld, but I never got around to it. Dammit  :cry:

You can still read it; the books don't disappear once the author dies. And since at last count there were roughly six thousand Discworld titles you're unlikely to be short of material any time soon.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Rip in peace.

It's just RIP. Rest In Peace. Rip in peace would be fitting only if the object of the sentiment had a widely known enjoyment of ripping things, and only in death were they free to do so without being disturbed.

It's sad that he is dead, but surely a relief from his long suffering. I had at least one of his books when I was a child; I fondly remember a story ending with a journey to Cape Canaveral by a small group of, if I remember rightly, mice.

Pharaoh X Llandy said:
You can still read it; the books don't disappear once the author dies. And since at last count there were roughly six thousand Discworld titles you're unlikely to be short of material any time soon.
Well of course. Still makes me sad though  :sad:

Back
Top Bottom