Author Topic: [WB][S] Honour Be Thy Shield - A middle-eastern themed mostly low fantasy mod  (Read 7279 times)

DerGreif

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBVC
Honour Be Thy Shield
-----
A medieval middle-eastern themed low fantasy mod with some high fantasy elements

This mod will be centered on three main aspects:
- exploration
- immersion/realism
- sandbox storytelling

Exploration:
The mod will feature a rich lore and new landscape to explore.
- This includes new cultures, most of them based on middle-eastern medieval culture with the occasional twist.
- This also includes new fantasy religions, which will be very important in the game.
- And of course, this includes new characters to meet and befriend or battle as enemies.
- The mod will feature a new map and new scenes - some of the hidden and/or unique locations - to explore.

Immersion/Realism:
The mod will try to model gameplay as realistic as possible without losing too much fun. For example, this will include some features from Brytenwalda.

Sandbox Storytelling:
Native WB, most mods and actually most other games allow either sandbox style playing or a typical "static quest(s)/questline(s)" set-up. I find sandbox style playing a little bit to random for my tastes. I cannot talk with people about things that happened earlier in the game. The relationship between players and NPCs and NPCs between each other is a flat value between to numbers without any depth to it. Quests are more or less randomly generated. Dialogue options and options to fulfill a quest are severely limited. And the AI acts often in very strange and incoherent ways.

In mods and RPGs with a typical "static quest(s)/questline(s)" set-up the player often has also only limited options. Modern RPGs allow a lot of "freedom" and implement choices and sides/factions for the player to take. But they still are all limited. And more importantly: They almost always wait for the player to act. I want to change that.

My goal is to implement an AI which will no longer assign more or less random quests, but will assign quests based on the AI's overall goal. Thus there will be lots of new quests/tasks available. These quests will be less limited in the way, how they are fulfilled. Important is (most of the time) only the result. The AI will also react to information it gets to further its goals. Whether or not the player is around does not matter. The AI of the adversary will act on its own and will not wait for the player. If the player is not around, an AI, which needs a task fulfilled, will hire someone else to do it. Neither "the story" nor the AI will wait for the player. To achieve this goal there will be three or four "big players" with a very ambitious and far reaching "global" agenda, while most other NPC will only have rather limited personal goals and ambitions. And one important rule: Anything the player can do, the AI can do (as far as the game engine allows that).

I hope I was able to convey the idea behind that.

Random planned and implemented features include but are not necessarily limited to:
(click to show/hide)

Further notes:
Progress will be slow but steady, because I have only 1 to 2 hours per day to work on the mod for the next six weeks or so. After that progress will be significantly quicker.

Preliminary List of Credits:
(click to show/hide)

Team:
DerGreif - coding, lore, basic retextures & 2D-Art
Usama - 3D-Art, additional gameplay ideas and lore

Signature link:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,327981.0.html][img]http://tw.greywool.com/i/fG4Mk.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:49:40 AM by DerGreif »

DerGreif

• View Profile
  • WBVC
Lore Background:
(click to show/hide)

Main factions:
(click to show/hide)

Minor factions:
(click to show/hide)

Gameplay:
(click to show/hide)

Screenshots:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

There will, of course, come better ones, when I have made more progress in scening.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:46:49 AM by DerGreif »

DerGreif

• View Profile
  • WBVC
Quite unique. Good luck!
Thank your for your kind words.

cwr

• so how did that fuckin go then?
  • Count
    • Steam - cwr1
    • YouTube - UC-L6PNU39-gVmlS_1Wkr0ng
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • M&BWB
- Character creation decisions will play a bigger role in the game, providing start quests and determining dialogue options.
- A more dynamic dialogue system allowing a wider range of topics to talk about with most NPCs.
- Emotions as part of the dialogue system.
- Lying and "persuasion duels" as part of the dialogue system.
- A more complex relationship system, which does not only have values between -100 to +100, but also includes key events of the past and takes player and AI personality into account.
- More complex AI personalities based on more than one character trait.
- A more complex reputation system with more than one reputation trait. This will also borrow from the Mass Effect morality system.
- Fuzzification of certain values presented to the player to enhance immersion.
YES :D

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
DerGreif finally making a mod! Başarılar.  :)

- Fuzzification of certain values presented to the player to enhance immersion.

Man, I wish more mods would do this. Looking forward to more info.

Scuba Steve

• Master Knight
  • Jinshi 進士
    • View Profile
    • My website that hosts some San Guo Zhi biographies and useful links for Chinese history
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Reginald_Clarke
  • WBNWWF&SM&BVC
Cool stuff. Looking forward to this.
(Formerly Thegn Ansgar)
Trust no-one, wear shoes with reversed footprints, and never sit away from an entrance. Windows count as an entrance.

Hardcore Submod for The Sword and the Axe 5.2
My forum (a general history board): The History Room

Airbar

• Squire
    • Steam - lionslinden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • M&BWBNWVCWF&S
Really looking forward to this. Looks interesting and I like every mod that tries something different than medieval Europe. Good luck with your mod :)

DerGreif

• View Profile
  • WBVC
Thank you guys for all the kind words! It is greatly appreciated!

Man, I wish more mods would do this. Looking forward to more info.
Well, I want to do away with numbers in the character report. In part native has this already implemented. But I want to get rid of it more thoroughly. Party morale will just be a descriptor like: good, bad, ordinary, with some colouring added depending on events/situation. For example: The player party is crossing a desert (which will be bad for the morale) and morale in general is down due to other factors. Then you might find in the specific report: "Your party morale is low. Your troops suffer under the unbearable heat of the desert and the sand creeping under their clothing. You hear also people complaining about the food: "Nothing but Smoked Fish for weeks now!" Alternatively after a great victory: "While you wander among your troops, you hear lots of laughter. Your troops gamble with their new found riches."

The same with renown: Instead of numbers you will see a descriptiv text like: "Nobody knows you here, you are a stranger from far away." Or: "Wherever you go, you notice how people suddenly recognise you, even though they have never seen you before. Most make a few steps back to let you pass, some bow, some give you a small present, others try to touch you for good luck."

And so on. I will also randomise the tresholds for the change in the wording a little bit to make these a little bit fuzzy.

I will keep the character sheet though, at least for the time being, because people like to see their character advance in a more tangible way, and it will be a lot of coding to replicate something lie the character screenvia script. Doable, but for the time being just not worth it.

fladin

• Baron
    • Steam - infomatec
    • YouTube - UCJd5LBSuJabHUmwxD1eQe2w
    • View Profile
    • said.ovh
  • MP nick: infomatec
  • WBNWVC
- Emotions as part of the dialogue system.

forward to see that, bon courage  :)

AIDS

• Baron
  • S O U P 🈚 N A Z I
    • Steam - Vraelomon
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Vraelo-Ren [NA]
This looks like something I can really look forward too. Unique features! Good luck!  :)
By the gods, they should use you as filling for a star fort. :lol:
As a side-note, you've been promoted to the mortar used in a star fort's battlements.

SBolshevik

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
Quite an interesting idea, I must say.
Though the only complaint I could have is that the font that you are using has too many dots everywhere making it kind of cumbersome to read, if you get what I mean. The char-creation screen just looks overcrowded because of it.

DerGreif

• View Profile
  • WBVC
Quite an interesting idea, I must say.
Though the only complaint I could have is that the font that you are using has too many dots everywhere making it kind of cumbersome to read, if you get what I mean. The char-creation screen just looks overcrowded because of it.
I understand your concerns. But it is easy to revert to native font: Just delete the font_data.xml in the data-folder and the font.dds in the texture folder. The font will be just an option for those who might like it.

And again thanks for all the nice comments.

Comrade Temuzu

• Marquis
    • Steam - Temuzu
    • YouTube - Temekin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: ComradeTemuzu
  • WBM&BNWWF&SVC
(click to show/hide)

ur a cheeky lil **** il give u that
Honestly though, I don't think volunteering to fight in a war should be a merit in today's society.  :?
The decline of the West in one sentence.
I **** hate you Temuzu, i really do.

DerGreif

• View Profile
  • WBVC

ur a cheeky lil **** il give u that
:lol: Actually, that is just the font. Maybe I really have to change it. I am just so used to it, that I did not recognise that it actually makes all "l" look like "t".