Outdoor Activities Thread

How much water do you carry for your usual camping trip?

• 1 L / 33.8 Oz.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 1,5 L / 50.72 Oz. (Give or take)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 2 L / 67.62 Oz.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3 L / 101 Oz.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 4 L / 135 Oz.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice spots you've chosen.
I dislike sleeping on ground level with open tent/tarp, hard to keep insects away.
The good thing with those is that you can make a reflector for your fire and get really comfy. Even more so if you dig for comfort. Examples : Leverage for bed and pit for fire.

darn, this talk makes me really miss the canoeing trips with our village's youth groups (and slightly less ferociously, my family's hiking trips in the Alps). although I've never even been to a country that's populated lightly enough to have even a sort-of-wilderness, so I only know trips from camping site to camping site.

I have a inflatable canoe I've yet to try.
Also, Paula, you could make bushcraft cooking good. Think of the possibilities!

hard to keep insects away.
This is so true. And slugs ^^. That's why I my current "light weight" period, I went for a badass tent. But I don't like it that much. Warmer, no crawlers, mosquitoes at bay, but condensation is a *****, I hate it. And it does require the adequate ground to set up, and slightly more time to set up. More over, I am 1.80m, so the tent feels a little small. and so expensive, i am always being extra carefull when using it. Pros and cons :sad:

Even more so if you dig for comfort. Examples : Leverage for bed and pit for fire.
I usually make long hiking days, and set up a quick camp at nightfall (except when the heavy raining gets on my nerves...). So I don't really have time to set up a "base camp", and especially in national parks or protected areas, I like to leave the less tracks possible. Moreover, as I often leave at dawn, setting up a big camp isn't really worth it in my case...

@Canoeing I've actually have used canoes before. I didn't think I'd like it but it was actually quite fun. Always had an urge to go faster  :lol:
I wish I was closer to water. Cause, ya know, there's not tons of lakes in NY. And I didn't used to live literally right next to a river or anything...

@paula, the best part of these trips, IMHO, is meeting people, you so often meet nice, sharing people. And sharing the moments with some very good friends. It makes for great, intense memories. aw, I almost forgot, a good bath and comfy bed after that :smile:

@Cernunos. When hiking with light equipment, do you ever make a blanket sling?

@Vräël I have a summer cabin right next to a lake. >.<

I don't know what a blanket sling is.  :sad:

A few more pics, from an 8 days long "cathare castle" hike, in southern France. Complete trek is about 14 days.
pCAZOuW.jpg

Tarp, "high set up". Plastic ground cover sheet, folded mat, backpack as "pillow"; reain proof sleeping bag cover. Same heavy downpour. Plenty of room, actually, which I really like. And dehydrated soup. It doesn't show, but I am in a silk internal sheet for sleeping beds. Great stuff, a little expensive (20-30 euros), but quite warm, light weight, sturdy, and so much easier to wash than the whole sleeping bag. When the night is really hot, I actually only use this sheet, and use a light open sleeping bag as a blanket. I highly recommend these silk sheets. And yes, "heavy" period.
3ZF21KY.jpg

Same here, other angle. The 2 persons tent from a Buddy, to give a more proper size comparison. My pal was much more wet from rain and condensation than I was. but he ended the night being warmer. I still prefer more dry, and with plenty of room, even if a little colder.
xR99CbF.jpg

Tarp, windy day, Low set up. ****ty, sluggy place, but best for hundreds of meters, we checked :sad:
yFtHn3A.jpg

Tarp, low set up. My friend tore his tent on some hard twigs. I obviously did not. You can notice the blue folded elastic strap on the extreme right, and no elastics on the left, directly the tent pegs. I really like this very modular system..
8VaLqDE.jpg

Yup rain. This rain gear was ok for low to mild rain, but not the heavy downpour we received. Third day, still smiling, didn't last.
VXCbtX7.jpg

Another one. My pal went for his usual tent, I bett for a starlit ceiling (big pile of rubbles on the right...). I kind of won, except for a few rain drops in the middle of the night ^^.  Very little room again, ****ty place.

I keep reading this thread as "Campaign Thread" and am expecting a Napoleonic-era discussion when I click. Not that camping is bad. I want to do more canoeing this summer, but the only interesting place to canoe involves passing under a low bridge where tons of big spiders build webs.

Ironic that you would create this thread today, as I'm going camping/canoeing with some friends this weekend. It's gonna be cold.  :shock:

Aw ok, thanks :smile:
do you ever make a blanket sling
Definitely not. Plain good old "expensive" sleeping bag.

My "light" period summarizes to getting and "Advanced" light weight tent (less than 900 gr), a ligth weigth sleeping bag (less than 1 kg also), a customized 50 liters back pack (I removed every things unecessary from it) and getting rid of as much things I really didn't absolutely need as possible. Went from an 18+ kg gear to a 10-11 kg. A knee, back and feet saver.

I like very primitive camping. I like to make debris shelters if possible instead of taking a tent. I can put all the gear I take with me in a small knapsack and prefer to keep it light and old fashioned.

I like very primitive camping. I like to make debris shelters if possible instead of taking a tent. I can put all the gear I take with me in a small knapsack and prefer to keep it light and old fashioned
Sound nice. How long did you manage to sustain yourself in these conditions ? It seems it all goes around the simple "fight" of weight against comfort...
Any pics of your gear ?

Some numbers for my gear, in kg, cold spring/autumn, around 10°, mild rain, 2 days autonomy; forest, plains, high hills:
water proof backpack: 0.9 - 50 liters
tent: 0.83
plastic ground cover sheet: 0.39
flatable pillow: 0.08
sleeping bag: 0.9 - 5° comfort announced. I would say very poor comfort ^^
water proof sleeping bag protection: 0.46
silk sheets: 0.14
mat 1: 0.37
mat 2: 0.28 - I will change this one. It is an air mattress. Light weight, not bulky, but always flat in the morning... I like my short sleep nights to be as comfortable as possible.
water: 2.5 liters - pretty short, I always refill ASAP. I sometimes had to ration myself. I hate it when it's about water.
underpants, socks, t-shirt: 0.27 - one of each as change.
2 days food: 1.0. - about 400 calories/100 grammes, that is about 4 000 calories for two days hiking, I don't really hike to gain weight, actually...
warm vest : 0.54 - for pause or bivouac
gloves: 0.06
hat : 0.06
rain cap (the crappy one I took picture of): 0.36 - wide enough to put the backpack Under it, and provide an additionnal water proof layer..
knife : 0.04
plastic compass: 0.03
headlamp: 0.09
batteries: 0.1 - camera, headlamp, mp3 player.
ID + area map (in ziploc bag) + credit card/cash: 0.2
lighter: 0.05
candle: 0.05  lighter and candle can light a fire in some very wet situations, provided a little love... Both are cheap, long lasting, and pretty reliable. I don't take matches anymore.
plastiq spoon: 0.01
pan: 0.13
camera: 0.5
more zip bags/ trash bags: 0.01 - I don't leave trash, usually have few (food paper usually, washing towels...) but don't mind picking up trash people will leave on the trail (probably my cernunos side). And I rather stuff a trash plastic bag than my pockets with it.
smartphone: 0.13 For safety reasons. With luck there might be some phone network.
charger: 0.1
whistle: 0.01
MP3 + ear plugs: 0.03
small washing towels: 0.25 - Reimplace soap, toilet paper, and because it is lightly wet, no need for a towel or wasting water. I hate washing in cold water when it is cold or rainy ...
toothbrush + toothpaste: 0.08
nail cutter:  0.01 - can be used as splinter remover.
deodorant: 0.07 - for the trip back in train...Comfort, I would say. For others...
meds: 0.01 - pain/diarrhea killer
bandage: 0.04
All this sums to around 11 kgs, with food and water.

No rope, no strings...
Not counting the walking sticks, and dresses I have on me for walking. Nothing incredible. Pant has some pockets, and I usually walk with small, ankle high gaiters, to prevent small stones/humidity or stuff to enter the shoes.

Here's some of my gear. I gotta find other stuff that's been lost in storage.

0fcc4ca1ff710941610984e747fdb4cc_zps059c0c5c.jpg

From left to right:
-Surplus poncho. Good for a ground moisture barrier or for emergency shelter.
-Wool blend blanket, good down to about 50 degrees without a fire. I need  to save up for a true wool blanket. I do have a winter sleeping bag that's good down to -10F, but I haven't done any winter camping in a while.
-Knives: Morakniv knife, carbon steel, Condor Bushcraft Basic 5" blade, carbon steel, Nameless folding knife I found, Smiths pocket diamond sharpener
-Leather work gloves, Cheap little LED tactical flashlight, Compass, whistle, signal mirror,
-Fire kit, I always keep three artificial ways of making fire: ferro rod, lighter, matches in a waterproof case, and drier lint in another waterproof case for emergency tinder.
-Cook kit: Surplus canteen and tin cup bottom, three piece stainless steel pots and pan set.
-50 feet of paracord. Keep it wrapped daisy chain.

Not pictured:
Still need to find my fishing kit, basic kit, line, lures and weights. Also keep fly lures for when I was in NM.
Also need to find my fire tin, it had a flint, steel, and my charcloth I made
Nameless kukri I bought at a gun show
Condor woodworking axe
.40cal Glock handgun
.50cal caplock, muzzle loaded, blackpowder rifle (got stolen, so I need to replace this)

I've remained out in the woods on my own for 5 days. I brought food with me, and I've been moderately successful depending on season and how familiar I am with the location foraging. I don't get into sustenance hunting when I'm camping, though I've had a friend with me once who successfully traps and we got a rabbit. Also have gone rabbit hunting on occasion. A lot of the rivers and lakes in NM also stocked rainbow trout, usually easy to catch while camping. I bought the rifle for elk hunting in NM and never got a chance to use it. I'll be going back this year and I may finally get to make a trip of it. I also want to try shooting shot from the rifle. I've been watching video of people shooting shot from rifled muzzle loaders, and despite the rifling, having decent spread and accuracy out to about 20 yards. Enough for small game hunting.

Looks very nice , weathered, I like it :smile: How do you pack your stuff? Did you stay 5 days in the same spot ? Did you wander around ? Was it a trip ? Any possible dangers staying in the woods ? Pics of your camps ?
I brought food with me,
Yeah, I guess we have this last step to become real cave men ^^.

The rabbit and trout stuff sounds really good tho. Did you eat that rabbit ?
got stolen, so I need to replace this)
Wow crap, sorry about that :sad:

Sounds like real nice experience you have had. Any lessons learnt ? The hard way ?

good down to about 50 degrees
Farhenheit, I presume. Would be a nice cooking blanket otherwise ^^

Maybe try to not kill too much if you don't need to. I wish you however some more very good trips, and great memories.  :smile:

Tibertus said:
Here's some of my gear. I gotta find other stuff that's been lost in storage.

0fcc4ca1ff710941610984e747fdb4cc_zps059c0c5c.jpg

From left to right:
-Surplus poncho. Good for a ground moisture barrier or for emergency shelter.
-Wool blend blanket, good down to about 50 degrees without a fire. I need  to save up for a true wool blanket. I do have a winter sleeping bag that's good down to -10F, but I haven't done any winter camping in a while.
-Knives: Morakniv knife, carbon steel, Condor Bushcraft Basic 5" blade, carbon steel, Nameless folding knife I found, Smiths pocket diamond sharpener
-Leather work gloves, Cheap little LED tactical flashlight, Compass, whistle, signal mirror,
-Fire kit, I always keep three artificial ways of making fire: ferro rod, lighter, matches in a waterproof case, and drier lint in another waterproof case for emergency tinder.
-Cook kit: Surplus canteen and tin cup bottom, three piece stainless steel pots and pan set.
-50 feet of paracord. Keep it wrapped daisy chain.

Not pictured:
Still need to find my fishing kit, basic kit, line, lures and weights. Also keep fly lures for when I was in NM.
Also need to find my fire tin, it had a flint, steel, and my charcloth I made
Nameless kukri I bought at a gun show
Condor woodworking axe
.40cal Glock handgun
.50cal caplock, muzzle loaded, blackpowder rifle (got stolen, so I need to replace this)

I've remained out in the woods on my own for 5 days. I brought food with me, and I've been moderately successful depending on season and how familiar I am with the location foraging. I don't get into sustenance hunting when I'm camping, though I've had a friend with me once who successfully traps and we got a rabbit. Also have gone rabbit hunting on occasion. A lot of the rivers and lakes in NM also stocked rainbow trout, usually easy to catch while camping. I bought the rifle for elk hunting in NM and never got a chance to use it. I'll be going back this year and I may finally get to make a trip of it. I also want to try shooting shot from the rifle. I've been watching video of people shooting shot from rifled muzzle loaders, and despite the rifling, having decent spread and accuracy out to about 20 yards. Enough for small game hunting.
Nice kit, are you something of a minimalist?  :razz:

Shame it got stolen, I wish I could find a small pre-1890 percussion cap hunting rifle. License free here.  :razz:

What I really miss was when my family had horses and those could go camping/hiking with us. Shame that owning horses is kind of an insane amount of work, because I'd really like to go riding through the wilderness sometime, and my wife is much the same.

Otherwise, I like camping way the **** out in the middle of no where but I also like camping with comforts like my vehicle, tents, a watercooler full of food, good fire starters and a skillet. I also take basic medical supplies for emergencies, firearm for firearm reasons, and a hatchet/spade/rake for well, ****ing about with the terrain.

Being out of phone service areas is annoying for safety reasons, but it's something I've gotten used to.

Back
Top Bottom