Outdoor Activities Thread

How much water do you carry for your usual camping trip?

• 1 L / 33.8 Oz.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 1,5 L / 50.72 Oz. (Give or take)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 2 L / 67.62 Oz.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3 L / 101 Oz.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 4 L / 135 Oz.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, we had super small fires that trip, and used a Dakota fire pit like Gestricus posted a video of. Believe it or not, that is the wet and cold season. It was Feburary and there was still snow on the ground in the shade, temperatures during the day hovered around 25F, and at night dipped down to under 0F, so a fire was very helpful.

If you have a tent with no ground cover you could always put the pit itself inside the tent and the vent hole outside.

We set up a triangle type shelter with a tarp like so:
tarps-snow_zpsgnkavssc.jpg

and used fallen brush for ground insulation. Set up the fire at the entrance of the shelter and it kept us pretty warm.

Tibertus said:
Yeah, we had super small fires that trip, and used a Dakota fire pit like Gestricus posted a video of. Believe it or not, that is the wet and cold season. It was Feburary and there was still snow on the ground in the shade, temperatures during the day hovered around 25F, and at night dipped down to under 0F, so a fire was very helpful.

... -18 to -2ish celsius. That's pretty cold yeah. I wouldn't have thought so.

Well, that first picture you see, that is Albuquerque. We were a mile higher than the city, which is already a mile up. Average dry adiabatic lapse rate is about 3C per 1,000 feet of elevation. So, we were about 15C colder than what it was down in the city.

Tarps like that are way better than tents. Mostly because they're easier to adapt to different environments, and you don't have to lug around a lot of poles and spikes. I've been lusting after one of those Hennessy hammocks for a while.

Tibertus said:
You're an absolute dumb ****. Barely worthy of a response. But if you think I camp in parking lots, you'd be sorely mistaken. I've probably got far more primitive camping time under my belt than you by a long shot. Frankly, your form of camping sounds like hippy dippy bull**** only made possible by very modern conveniences. Get out into the woods, practice very basic survival skills and woodsman skills, then get back to me. And no, leaving no mark behind isn't the only merit to camping you pathetic sack of driveling ****. The point is to experience the outdoors by getting back to the roots of humanity, learning to be self reliant in nature and not relying on modern conveniences. Frankly, you wouldn't last a second out in the conditions I go camping in. Try spending two weeks in the desert in the middle of July for hot weather survival training, or two weeks in Maine in February with no more shelter than the clothes on your back, and then get back to me about how I don't venture past the parking lot. Frankly, fires are allowed everywhere, do not harm any one or anything, are crucial to know how to build for your own survival, and if you can't build a small survival fire and shelter without relying on modern tools, you're useless as a woodsman. So find the largest, knobbiest branch you can, and go **** yourself with it.

You are it seems even more pathetically backward than I had originally guessed.

Obviously your forays into wilderness are mostly about your ego and self-aggrandizement. Pretty standard for a selfish consumer of wilderness versus an ethical visitor.

If you lived as you seem to imply, off of the land, perhaps a certain shred of your arrogance would be justified. But you do not. Your regular visitation of this site pretty much precludes that possibility. You are no different from any of us, a citizen of the modern world, who makes infrequent brief sojourns into the wilderness. What makes you different from the prevailing norms is that you are so caught up in your own importance that the impact of your actions on the land and on the experience of others is a secondary consideration, if not perfectly irrelevant. I feel pity for you, as you apparently do not know what wilderness is, and perhaps never will.

If you are on private land and the landowner allows it, sure do whatever you want. But like I said, it is standard in public lands in most civilized countries to promote a leave no trace ethic. I ever catch you breaching the rules, I'll happily turn you, or anyone else in to rangers or other land managers and happily go to any expense to serve as a witness and promote fining, imprisonment or permanent banning from permit receipt.

Oh sure policies vary between different public lands. What I want to see is some evidence to back up your arrogant dismissal of Leave No Trace ethics in general. Show us some proof that you break rules! Otherwise, your just all talk.

Go ahead, tough guy, post us some evidence of your high impact conquests of public lands, lets rumble!  :razz:

Anthropoid said:

Obviously your forays into wilderness are mostly about your ego and self-aggrandizement. Pretty standard for a selfish consumer of wilderness versus an ethical visitor.

Good god, you're a bigger idiot than I thought. You act like I go into the woods, ravage whatever I want, and then leave it however I want. No, **** you, and **** your high horse. Better yet, have your high horse **** you in the ass.

Obviously, my "forays" into the wilderness are about building essential skills which directly relate to what I do for a living. Flying military aircraft low into enemy territory with high risk of having to use my survival skills to stay alive. Again, I can't emphasize enough how much you need to go **** yourself, and then reevaluate your outlook on life. You are so busy being impressed with your made up moral high ground that you are completely oblivious to the real world.

Anthropoid said:
If you lived as you seem to imply, off of the land, perhaps a certain shred of your arrogance would be justified. But you do not. Your regular visitation of this site pretty much precludes that possibility. You are no different from any of us, a citizen of the modern world, who makes infrequent brief sojourns into the wilderness. What makes you different from the prevailing norms is that you are so caught up in your own importance that the impact of your actions on the land and on the experience of others is a secondary consideration, if not perfectly irrelevant. I feel pity for you, as you apparently do not know what wilderness is, and perhaps never will.

Actually, I'm much different from you. I've put something on the line to protect my country, and  that requires me to maintain a set of skills that the majority of people in the civilized world, including yourself, simply do not have. Infrequent and brief to a site, hmm? Sure, I couldn't get out into the mountains nearly as often as I'd like, but, we did have weekly humps into the mountains during school while I was going through officer training, and my "site" was the Cibola National Forest, an over 1,600,000 acre area of land including several mountain ranges, forests, grassland, and shrublands. On a regular basis, I made it into three separate mountain ranges, and even more regularly, spent a lot of time in the Sandia Mountains. Most every weekend I was up in the mountains in some capacity or other. Further, I've put my life on the line protecting that Park, flying fire observation during the summer and working with the park service and BLM again with aerial observation.

Anthropoid said:
If you are on private land and the landowner allows it, sure do whatever you want. But like I said, it is standard in public lands in most civilized countries to promote a leave no trace ethic. I ever catch you breaching the rules, I'll happily turn you, or anyone else in to rangers or other land managers and happily go to any expense to serve as a witness and promote fining, imprisonment or permanent banning from permit receipt.

Oh sure policies vary between different public lands. What I want to see is some evidence to back up your arrogant dismissal of Leave No Trace ethics in general. Show us some proof that you break rules! Otherwise, your just all talk.

Go ahead, tough guy, post us some evidence of your high impact conquests of public lands, lets rumble!  :razz:

No, I tend not to stay on private land, because private land out west tends to be flatland ranches for cattle, or private hunting range. I don't want to get run down by a heard of cows in the middle of the night, or accidentally shot. Public land however, is ubiquitous in the west. If it's not owned, it's public, and there are basic rules. Don't burn if there's a burn ban which is infrequent, and when you do burn, do so responsibly. I've never disregarded "Leave no Trace", I've simply called your moronic overkill and misinterpretation of it a complete waste of time and wrong. You are reacting as though I've claimed I go into the woods, **** all over the place and don't clean up. Leave no trace simply means to not leave your trash, break down your camp, and don't leave a fire burning, making sure your coals are scattered and completely cold. Other than that, your whole idea of sweeping away your footprints and leaving not a single trace of human activity is a complete waste of time. Not to mention useless. Nature will cover up you being there better than you ever could. 

Also the entire idea of you getting me banned from public land is laughable at best. It's an arrogant, and self-righteous claim that somehow your ethic trumps standard rules on public land. So, I'll wrap up with telling you to once again, go **** yourself with the most knobly branch you can find, and I hope you get splinters.

Ehh. I had a big ol' post here. Got rid of it, didn't want to jump in  :meh:
On the other hand, Tibertus sounds like he has a cool job. I'd totally love to do that someday.

Well, I copied the whole thing before I deleted it. So here, I guess.
It's spoilered for the people who dont care at all and don't want to skip through a long ass post. I'm usually that guy.
I find myself jumping into these things more often lately. Perhaps I should be concerned.
Anthropoid said:
Now, I don't mean to offend you, but that entire post seemed rather presumptuous to me. It also appeared inappropriately rude, but then I wouldn't know.

Anthropoid said:

What evidence is there that Tibertus wilderness events "are mostly about [his] ego and self-aggrandizement"? In the next sentence, you're saying that Tibertus is "a selfish consumer of wilderness", correct? Well, as is the case above, there's absolutely no reason for you to think that. There is, however, irrefutable evidence for you to not think that.
If you read everything that Tibertus has posted here, you will have seen the extensive knowledge that Tibertus has on the subject of nature. If you found some city idiot (not sure how to spell citiot) and brought him in here to this thread, I really doubt said person would be able to comprehend the full length of forumites such as Tibertus or Gestricius. Furthermore, his definition of camping would probably be much more narrow than anything we've seen so far. Just look at everything Tibertus has posted. I seriously doubt he would have all of that if he is just "a selfish consumer of wilderness", and I think I would know, having met plenty.

Anthropoid said:
If you lived as you seem to imply, off of the land, perhaps a certain shred of your arrogance would be justified. But you do not. Your regular visitation of this site pretty much precludes that possibility.
When you say 'site' in this sentence, are you referring to taleworlds? If so, then I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true, if I'm understanding correctly. All manner of people are on this site. Not just gamer geeks or computer whizzes or any other sort of persons that generally stay indoors; there's obviously more people here than just that. A lot of folks played M&B once, came here long enough to find the AG, and then got on with their lives whilst simultaneously remaining an active member. It doesn't take up a large portion of your life, you can still live any sort of lifestyle, including an "outdoorsman", so to speak.

The only other meaning of that sentence that I can gather is that when you say "live off the land", you think Tibertus has built himself a lovely little hut in a mountain somewhere years ago, and he now lives there 24/7 as a permanent resident, with no other human interaction and growing a magnificent beard. Now, (correct me if I'm wrong, Tibertus) again I don't think this is the case. I'm given to understand that Tibertus has a house and a wife, car, internet, etc, and he is simply more of an outdoor man.

Anthropoid said:
You are no different from any of us, a citizen of the modern world, who makes infrequent brief sojourns into the wilderness.
See above. Also, these are some of the presumptions I mentioned earlier, if I'm understanding correctly.
You assuming to know what events hold the interests of Tibertus is about as accurate as me walking into NYC and assuming the same with random people I meet on the street.
For example, if I were to walk into an office and see a man in a business suit, he is just as likely to be a CEO as he is to be a dirt farmer conducting business with the market. There's no way to know someone just because of where they are and what they're wearing, just as there is no way to know someone based on their online activities on a forum.
What makes you different from the prevailing norms is that you are so caught up in your own importance that the impact of your actions on the land and on the experience of others is a secondary consideration, if not perfectly irrelevant. I feel pity for you, as you apparently do not know what wilderness is, and perhaps never will.
Once again, this has already been covered.

If you are on private land and the landowner allows it, sure do whatever you want. But like I said, it is standard in public lands in most civilized countries to promote a leave no trace ethic. I ever catch you breaching the rules, I'll happily turn you, or anyone else in to rangers or other land managers and happily go to any expense to serve as a witness and promote fining, imprisonment or permanent banning from permit receipt. Oh sure policies vary between different public lands. What I want to see is some evidence to back up your arrogant dismissal of Leave No Trace ethics in general. Show us some proof that you break rules! Otherwise, your just all talk.
If you see anyone who breaks the laws whilst camping; leaving extreme amounts of trash, not cleaning up gut piles, poaching, or doing anything else that's generally being a nuisance on the land; then yes, please report them to the correct authorities. I for one am very young and yet I am already sick of people hunting on private land, littering, poaching, being morons, etc. At the very least, if you see some minor infractions and everyone seems friendly, feel free to walk up and mention it to them. Be really careful with that though, you never know what kind of psychos you'll run into. I personally don't like to get to close with anyone who is a definite stranger; I'd love to tell you some stories of some of the maniacs I've met at our family hunting cabin. You'll probably be better off calling the authorities in most cases, the way I'm seeing it. If anyone has anything to add here, please go ahead.

Now that we've got that part out of the way (I originally had it broken up more).

We are not evading the police. There's nobody following us around looking for clues as to where we went. We are camping. I'm no expert, but I'm given to understand that camping on public grounds is perfectly legal, so long as you pick up all trash, pack up all your equipment, make sure any fire you had is completely extinguished and the coals were scattered; basically cleanup after yourself. Don't forget anything. That's what camping is. It is not remotely necessary to cover you footprints, or anything of the sort.

If a park ranger is walking in the woods, and he sees the leftovers of a day-old camping site, he's not going to hunt the camper down and shoot him like a dog in the street. He's going to say "Oh, look, someone was camping" and continue on his merry way, if everything is in order. If he found a bunch of **** everywhere, he would probably call it in. I'm not a park ranger, so perhaps there may be some protocol I'm unaware of that renders this false, but if that is the case please correct me because I am not aware of this.
Now, that right there really isn't necessary. But then you did add a '  :razz: ' to the end, so you could have been joking. I can't tell, sorry  :smile:
And...that's that for now. Time to go get me some food, I think.

I got a bunch of free Gainomax bars which I will put in my backpack.  :party:

I bought mine for 19kr a pack during a sale, I think they're about 27kr at the moment.  :???:

Sad that they only ship within Sweden.

What means of firemaking do you guys bring with you?

Mine :
Waterproof matches
Lighter (Zippo + Fuel)
Fire striker
Charcloth

Always carry my trusty WW2 era Zippo that was handed down to me from my grandda. Prefer regular matches and maybe a fire striker if it's a long trip. Though they're hardly ideal unless you're expecting to get lost for weeks on end and you run out of gas or matches. Zippo's for cigs only though. They suck at making a campfire. Never really saw the need to load up on flammables.

Back
Top Bottom