Outdoor Activities Thread

How much water do you carry for your usual camping trip?

• 1 L / 33.8 Oz.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 1,5 L / 50.72 Oz. (Give or take)

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 2 L / 67.62 Oz.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3 L / 101 Oz.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 4 L / 135 Oz.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Swissky

This is where we discuss camping and alike activities, I chose not to merge with Hunting & Fishing thread because it felt as we would go off-course.

I guess I'll start, an entire showcase of all my equipment. (Backpack excluded) I can, but I never pack the bag full because 1. Too heavy. 2. I don't need the extra stuff.

n3rofk.jpg
From top left to right :
1. Water bottle.
2.  Plastic food container.
3.  Chopping board with a P-38 can opener on top
4. Spice container
5. Another food container.
6. Tin container with tinder (the pack contains tinder and it's easy just to throw on the fire.
7. Lid.
ced40d42f39a17216f7bc6c7345e80d9.png
1. Ignore the P-38.
2. Survival or storm matches.
3. Firestarters.
4. Sanitary napkins.
5. Swiss knife.
6. Bic lighter.
7. Zippo lighter.
8. Field kitchen.
9. Guksi (Sami) cup.
f9b883b652507e2ed7284b426c70560d.png
1. Small pocket next to a paracord bracelet with a compass.
2. Puukko/Mora Knife.
3. Metal container and lid (for food or fire preparation)
4. Metal water flask.
5. Compact shovel. I left out the bag for it.
6. Wool and cotton cap.
7. Scarf, for windy conditions.
8. Wool fingerless gloves.
9. Wool socks.
bd997ce75ecae6406466e9888710b6b9.png

I also ordered a wool blanket, hammock with mosquito net and a enamel mug today.

I love trekking, I try to go for 4-5 days in a row.

Your equipment seems awfully heavy. I tend to priorize lightness over comfort...
Seeing your knife, your are finnish ?

I don't necessarily camp so much per second, but I do have a Hunting cabin way Out in the middle of the woods that's totally beautiful. I have a picture somewhere.

Cernunos said:
I love trekking, I try to go for 4-5 days in a row.
Good man. I stay for 2-3.

Cernunos said:
Your equipment seems awfully heavy. I tend to priorize lightness over comfort...
Gestricius said:
I can, but I never pack the bag full because 1. Too heavy. 2. I don't need the extra stuff.

Tent ? Sleeping bag ? Safety stuff ? Compass  ?

Tin water flask ? Ain't that too heavy ? I rely on plastic bottle, change it every times, never had issues with that.

What is great in hiking/camping, is to find the tipping point between comfort/survival.

Oh right.

My tent broke last time (a branch came down and made a hole in it.) Haven't camped since, but now that I'm getting a wool blanket and a hammock, I guess that will be fixed.

I have a compass on the paracord bracelet. Safety stuff?

Tin can? I don't even feel it.  :razz:

Safety stuff?
Whistle/head light.

Any hygiene stuff, or is it a "try to stink like a bear" challenge every time ? (It is for me ^^). I take a tooth brush at least, and some soap and toilet paper, at least. Any underwears beside socks ?

and médicine ? Pain killer, diarreha solidifier ?
Hammock, Lucky you, I am height sick ^^

Tin can? I don't even feel it.
Good for you ! I went from 18 kilos to 10/11 kilos (middle season , not winter) complete back pack, removing stuff I didn't feel, and I didn't really need.  I invested into a high hyper light quality tent, and light 5° comfort sleeping bag. Any water proof sleeping bag outer sheet ?

I also see you take two knives, a "big" one, and a swiss one ?

I use headlight (Damn, it seems I left out some stuff :S )

I normally bring a toothbrush and paste but don't bring a mint toothpaste as it attracts bears.
I have a messenger bag for fishing which probably contains a lot of side stuff (bar of soap and small towel etc)

If the water at the nearest source of water is clean, you can just get a plastic bag and fill it up and cut corner for a improvised shower.  :razz:

I use headlight (Damn, it seems I left out some stuff :S )
Of course you have one , we all have :smile:

you can just get a plastic bag and fill it up and cut corner for a improvised shower
That's cool, never thought of that (see the "stink like a bear" challenge).

In the médicine, any feet care ? What kind of shoes do you use ? What kind of terrain are you camping in ? And show the backpack. Come on, dude !

I also have a Mp3 player, with earplugs. Pretty good at night to go to sleep when alone in the woods, it removes some "parasite" noises.

Any real small binoculars ? It can help detect path markings, or see animals. Not that usefull, tho, more a comfort product IMHO.

You also seem to have a loooot of fire related gear. Zippo, matches, more lighters. Maybe you could save on that ? Note that it is not that important for me, just asking :smile:

Guksi (Sami) cup.
So you ARE finnish :smile:

Cernunos said:
In the médicine, any feet care ? What kind of shoes do you use ? What kind of terrain are you camping in ? And show the backpack. Come on, dude !
No feet care. Cheap timberland boots. Boreal forest. Kober 3M Scotch and a thermal sleeping mat to the side.

2enats0.jpg

I like this thread (thanks for starting it, great idea :smile: ), I wil take pictures of my gear this WE.

Boreal forest, your conditions must be worst than mine, deciduous/coniferous forest in some parts. But Boreal forest, that sounds good :smile:

3M Scotch
How many liters please ? It looks very small. 40, 50 liters ?

Thermal sleeping mats are the best. I used insuflating some times, but they regularly go flat, so I ended sleeping on the ground. The only downside to the mat you use is its bulk. Because it is also pretty light.

Do you use walking sticks ? I use. I takes so much weight from the knees, in climbing especially, but also helpfull going down. And can help cross stuff, or prevent from slipping. And they make excellent tent poles . I love those.

No worries.  :smile:

34L.

Cernunos said:
You also seem to have a loooot of fire related gear. Zippo, matches, more lighters. Maybe you could save on that ? Note that it is not that important for me, just asking :smile:
Guksi (Sami) cup.
So you ARE finnish :smile:
As I said, I never bring a full bag. Usually the matches and the bic.  :razz:

Also, I live a bit more... Westward.

34 L, yeah, this is so very small, gratz. Did you happen to weight your gear, in camping readiness, and fully loaded (except water and food ?)

Usually the matches and the bic.
Yeah, makes sense :smile:

Let me look for some pictures...
jgTT2E6.jpg

Summer "camp". Nice warm day, sleeping Under the stars.
S4J2Nni.jpg

Basic shelter for the night (notice the walking stick as mat). It ended being a windy, slightly rainy night. Not much sleep.
Ioe1AQC.jpg

Bunch of stuff from my "heavy" period. GOD, this picture is painfull ^^. I changed for a much lighter approach (will take pic this WE)

I've never weighed it  :eek:

Let's talk about food & preparation.
Bannock is a popular meal for campers, I put raisins, freshly picked berries and apples (if I can) in mine.
If I have a license, I fish for food. What do you bring? :razz:

EDIT : Nice camps. How much does your tarp weigh? I was about to order one until I saw the weight of it, 2,5kg.

I usually take Oat, dried mixed fruits, "Saucisson" (dried/salted/greasy pork), and potato chips, that I crush to reduce the size. I try to rely on food that doesn't need cooking, is energetic and light weigth. Then, I will complement with "fresh" stuff I can pick, according to the season: shrooms eventually, wild fruits or berries or nuts. But I don't count on those. I do not hunt nor fish. I would love to fish, but I would need a license, and spare hiking time. But I will some day, fish it, guts is, and eats it, my precious ! As for water, I usually refill at springs, or in villages, or, more rarely, will rely on water purifying tabs.

Nice camps. How much does your tarp weigh? I was about to order one until I saw the weight of it, 2,5kg.
Thanks a lot :smile:. I used to use a 2x3 meters "rural" tarp , pretty light weigth, very cheap (7-10 euros) around 1 kg I would say. Then, adding the 6 elastic strapx , it goes to around a 1,5 Kg tarp. I don't count the two walking sticks I can use as poles.
3x3 are a little more heavier, but a real comfort in case of heavy rain. As always, it is all about finding the right balance between lightweight and comfort.

Powderized soups are pretty okay aswell. I don't need any water purification tabs as I live a nation which has the 2nd cleanest water (Damn you Finland!) but I'd suggest still having a purification straw (I don't) to get rid of any unwanted bits.

Powderized soups are pretty okay aswell
Sure. I tend to avoid these, as it requires fire AND water. However, it is light weight, and given the occasion, can be a great moral booster in cold rain ^^.
Some more pics:
7nuNKxO.jpg

Me like Shrooms !
N2ljbWX.jpg

Duh ! (nah, I am still alive, I avoided this one ^^)
cjF7Vqx.jpg

Closer view to my tarp/walking stick/elastic strap system. From my "heavy weight" period. This was a 3x3 tarp, pretty heavy. But great in rain.
nZJgzec.jpg

Yeah, even heavy rain ^^

This tarp system is really good, you can set up a pretty sturdy camp (heavy rain, 40/60 km/h winds, thunderstorms...) in 2-3 minutes with a little training, in almost any kind of terrain, be it a plain, o forest, or whatever. I really like those. I used to have a second, 2x2 plastic sheet, for ground cover. Moreover, you can adjust the walking sticks height, and, for example, reduce them in case of rain or Wind, so that your shelter is really low on ground. You will also need the 6 tent pegs.

Back
Top Bottom