B Dark Ages More Pictish painted bodies (Skill-bonuses now added, Save-compatible) for 2.012

Users who are viewing this thread

kraggrim

Marquis
01sSB.jpg

For 2.012, updated 25/09/2015

Overview
New painted/tattooed bodies for the Pictish Alban faction, 15 male and 1 female. These now add +2 to power-strike/throw/draw and athletics, but have very low armour.  You can now get them from the last page of the cheat menu. I've set them basically as alternative tunics for low level troops but feel free to modify their function as you wish. The troops.txt adds these to the lowest 3 tiers of Pictish troops, but you can ignore this file and add them how you want.  Included is an items file with these added at the bottom,  you can add them to troops (use Morgh's editor, easy enough to find with google).

Download it here or here.

Installation.
Make a backup of your module.ini, scripts.txt, menus.txt itemkinds1.txt and troops.txt.  Unzip the file using 7zip or another program then copy over the files to the proper folders, overwriting and merging where it asks.

Hopefully that should be it, and it's save-game compatible. Though any saves you create while using these text files will not load with text files containing a lower number of items.

If you want to alter the skill bonus amount there's a tweak you can adapt here

Let me know what you think, and about any problems.

(The top two will be in next version)
qiJTK.jpg
sqg1Y.jpg
X6sbZ.jpg
SO3vi.jpg
WMrVL.jpg
xJ7v-.jpg
tAQJG.jpg
FkY4q.jpg
a44MX.jpg
bkA9W.jpg
eBwP2.jpg
DUIDn.jpg
qVkmw.jpg
5NLnM.jpg
ziARP.jpg
I017h.jpg
ouOS7.jpg
ny3U-.jpg
zY2GU.jpg
E0KAR.jpg

Super easy guide on how to make one of these:
1. Get hold of photoshop (or Gimp, the free alternative) and optionally get the DDS plugin(free) for it, let's you open MB texture files.
2. Get this PhotoShop file, I've included the UV map guide, shows you how stuff will be mapped onto the model.This one doesn't require the DDS plugin. Alternatively, in vc's textures folder find vc_body_male01.dds make a copy and start with that.
3. Open it up and on a new layer paint your designs. Either avoid painting over the seams (edges) entirely or make it so busy/complex that the discrepancies are hard to spot. But don't worry too much, just have fun.
4. At this point you can just send it to me if you want to include it.

5. When you're finished flatten the images and make crop it to just the big left-hand square. Make sure the image is an equal height and width in pixels.
6. Save it as a .dds file, choose "DTX1" and "generate MIP maps" when the DDS window comes up.
7. Put it in the vc textures folder or whatever mod you're adding it to.
8. Go to this section of the forum and get OpenBRF. That's what you use to combine your texture with a model. There should be plenty of info there on how to do the rest, good luck.
If you want to make Norse or other culture tattooed bodies I can include these too.

Please post:

-Your own creations.. Very easy to do, I can give a few pointers if folk want to help out.

-Reference art/photographs/text. Anything interesting and slightly related really.

-Suggestions for patterns/ideas/motifs/whatever.

-Suggestions for tools/techniques/guides/tutorials.

-Constructive criticism.

-Historical accuracy criticism will be taken into consideration, probably won't be incredibly strict on this though. I'd rather have some interesting and varied stuff than just repeating the limited pictish imagery available.

My understanding is the Pictish tattoos were blue, dark but bright. Picts were also said to use various animal symbols prominently in them. Normally one in a theme.

animal_designs_800wtd_2a.jpg

the rest of the tattoo was comprised of scroll work which likely had a relation to their written language.

Pictish_Rune_Meanings_by_TD_Brushes.jpg

1ea1e45df480651aa4bdc2b5b90a519e.jpg

Here is one of the better representations I have seen, of what I think they may have had:

pictish_by_dectotreic-d31n9b5.jpg

Cheers Ivan.  As it happens I'm currently working on an 'animals and swirls' version. I had no idea they were letters, and those word symbols should come in handy.
eBwP2.jpg
With matching shield!

You're right about the last image, one of the existing bodies is extremely close to that (though the bulls are on the front).

Ivan Khan said:
My understanding is the Pictish tattoos were blue, dark but bright. Picts were also said to use various animal symbols prominently in them. Normally one in a theme.

animal_designs_800wtd_2a.jpg

the rest of the tattoo was comprised of scroll work which likely had a relation to their written language.

Pictish_Rune_Meanings_by_TD_Brushes.jpg

1ea1e45df480651aa4bdc2b5b90a519e.jpg

Here is one of the better representations I have seen, of what I think they may have had:

pictish_by_dectotreic-d31n9b5.jpg
I recognize the male symbol  :mrgreen:

kraggrim said:
Cheers Ivan.  As it happens I'm currently working on an 'animals and swirls' version. I had no idea they were letters, and those word symbols should come in handy.
eBwP2.jpg
With matching shield!

You're right about the last image, one of the existing bodies is extremely close to that (though the bulls are on the front).

That looks awesome! -- I love the way you matched the shield.

Just happened to be the first shield I found in the shops :grin:.

Thought I'd try mixing in some christian symbols seeing as how Alban is a christian kingdom.
DUIDn.jpg

kraggrim said:
Just happened to be the first shield I found in the shops :grin:.

Thought I'd try mixing in some christian symbols seeing as how Alban is a christian kingdom.
DUIDn.jpg

I like it. I would add more Celtic knots and scroll work though, most of the stone crosses from the period have that. Also, animals and other drawings left over from their pagan period.

Do not know how historical it would be though? Christianity is what likely killed off tattooing in Britain -- though in the game period we are talking about -- Christianity did not have that strong a hold yet, and there likely would have been a lot of bringing religious practices over (Don't knock it, it is how we got Christmas), so I think Christian symbols are legitimate.

pictish-stones.jpg

You're right, I'll have to make the cross a bit more elaborate.  In terms of historical accuracy, I think it's not too far fetched that the occasional pict would be incorporating both old and new into his life. 

This next one:
a44MX.jpg
My hand hurts.... I like the effect though.

kraggrim said:
You're right, I'll have to make the cross a bit more elaborate.  In terms of historical accuracy, I think it's not too far fetched that the occasional pict would be incorporating both old and new into his life. 

This next one:
a44MX.jpg
My hand hurts.... I like the effect though.

Very nice.  :smile:

Thanks guys.

Maybe one of the devs or anyone else can give me some advice.  I've exported man_body_new as a rigged mesh from vc_bodies and imported it to vc_tuincs2 (where the pict bodies are).
B3dtW.jpg

As you can see, the bumpmap (I think) is much less obvious/defined on the one I've imported to the tunics brf. As far as I can tell all the flags and settings are the same.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Same with the woman body, though not as obvious:
g5-U_.jpg

fedeita said:
just right click on your mesh on openbrf and select "recompute tangent dirs"

Cheers, that did it :smile:.  This female variant of the swirly pattern one is dedicated to fedeita.
qVkmw.jpg

kraggrim said:
This one looked good on paper, but now I think it needs work.
5NLnM.jpg

Any suggestions guys?

I think the general thing is to keep the scale of artwork small, so when put on the body you can see it complete. I can see what you were going for before the body contours ruined it. Make the items half the size (maybe 1/3) and they will look way better on body.

Painted warriors in action:
I017h.jpg

Bad news though guys.  I remembered I won't be able to make these items 'ritual equipment' (stat increases) until the source code is released. Not without messing up most of the other items' placement anyway (peasants wearing crowns etc).  Like this chap:
LNXj2.jpg

For now they'll just have to function as an alternative pictish tunic or something.

kraggrim said:
Bad news though guys.  I remembered I won't be able to make these items 'ritual equipment' (stat increases) until the source code is released. Not without messing up most of the other items' placement anyway (peasants wearing crowns etc).  Like this chap:

Well, hopefully now the DLC is stable and there is only minor tweaking to do we will have the source code with 1.04. And, 1.04 likely sometime in February?

Back
Top Bottom