A couple of Noobalicious questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyranicus

Recruit
Let's get right to it!

1. Is there anything more rewarding than Slaving enemies and selling them?
--------- I heard about trade routes, but even with 10 trading I'm barely making any money compared to slaving (about 10~15k per battle).

2. Can you raise the amount of money merchants have (Without enabling cheats)
--------- I keep finding gear worth 3k+ while most merchants only have 2k ish in gear (I resorted to basically trading my gear for horses to increase speed and actually get something from these drops). The rest of the stuff that merchants sell is crap compared to my equip and that of my companions. (here's to wishing that I could trade in gear for ships lol).

3. What are the best weapons/gear for companions? Any hints for a new~ish player?
--------- My companions with maxed Life/PowerStrike(8/8+) are still getting owned in combat (and they have the best gear i've found). Is there something that i'm missing? Are swords/Axes not a good idea on companions?

4. How do I get the old 'Right to Rule' in VConquest?
--------- Asking my followers if I would be a good king gets me a 'yes' or 'no' type response without ever prompting a message to send them away to raise my Right to Rule

5. What is the best weapon type in Singleplayer Viking Conquest?
--------- I've always been used to rocking a Bastard sword, is there a monster wep in the new DLC? (I read a post about spears being OP in MP but the overhead strike is pretty infuriating in the SP (when enemies are too close to overstrike) :/

Thanks for the help!
Looking forward to becoming a part of the community!
-Tyra

Hey @Tyranicus,

are you new to Mount and Blade (MB), Mount and Blade Warband  (WB) or just Viking Conquest (VC)?

Any experience with WB big mods (Floris, Brytenwalda, ACOK, 1257, etc) ?

check this for a couple mini guides for VC:
subforum:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,377.0.html

miniguide:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322455.0.html

battles:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,323108.0.html

If you are new to Warband there are faqs, guides and wikis with lots of information that is valid here. Warband is years old and VC works on the same engine with new features on top of that.

To your questions:
1) That is up to you first as it depends on playstyle. What you want: money, renown, power, etc. Your religion: pagan or christian. Are you playing story or sandbox. Etc.

You could have multiple games and on each play in a unique way.

2) Do you know TweakMB? Keep in mind that the game is not stable yet (we are on patch 1.03beta) and we dont have the modules (game source) yet.

3) First depends on how your are playing. Are your companions meat-shield (tanks), light infantary, skirmishs, cavalary ?
Are you using the realism options? The ones that give you a penalty for using heavy armor.
And depends on your companions stats. They could be warriors or support characters (medic, engineer, scout, etc).

4) I think you are playing story-mode. You cant send companions for RTR for now. Once you finish the story it will revert to sandbox (or any new sandbox game).

It is blocked to prevent companions to go away just before a quest that requires them on your party.

also dont try to become king on story-mode. To soon.

5) Again depends on your style. On sieges you cant use a horse, but on battles maybe you prefer to use them...

axes have short range and are not good when you are on a horse.
swords can be deadly but you need to aim well (they lose more damage against heavy armor)
bows balance is a working in progress right now
you could get a 2H sword...
spear are cool too..

you will get some nice weapons with quests. Remember you can pay a weaponsmith in towns to improve them 2x (increase damage). Not all weapons tho.

-> I am a fan of sword/shield on ground and spear/shield on horse. But thats just my preference.
Cheers.

I have always dealt with problem #2 using cheats --- I have very high looting skill and sometimes get crazy items that I can never sell I.e lordly helm worth 24,000!  You can change this in the game files ---try doing a search in the main WB forum.  I am pretty sure I've seen s tutorial for this somewhere

1- With 10 trade skill then raiding villages should give near quite a few thousand (including slaving the villagers), if you have 60+ dudes then you usually don't even have to fight. Not very challenging (without tweaks) though.

2- Yes. Open up scripts.txt and look for the section titles refresh_center_inventories -1. In that section find the bit that looks like this:
1500 2136 3 1224979098644774922 1000 3000

Put a 0 or two on the end of each of those red numbers. Wait a week.

3- Swords/axes and shields been working well for me. Have you been giving them athletics skill too? I'd heard it's linked to shield use now, that might be bollocks though.

4-5- No idea.

kalarhan said:
Hey @Tyranicus,

are you new to Mount and Blade (MB), Mount and Blade Warband  (WB) or just Viking Conquest (VC)?

Any experience with WB big mods (Floris, Brytenwalda, ACOK, 1257, etc) ?

check this for a couple mini guides for VC:
subforum:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,377.0.html

miniguide:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322455.0.html

battles:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,323108.0.html

If you are new to Warband there are faqs, guides and wikis with lots of information that is valid here. Warband is years old and VC works on the same engine with new features on top of that.

To your questions:
1) That is up to you first as it depends on playstyle. What you want: money, renown, power, etc. Your religion: pagan or christian. Are you playing story or sandbox. Etc.

You could have multiple games and on each play in a unique way.

2) Do you know TweakMB? Keep in mind that the game is not stable yet (we are on patch 1.03beta) and we dont have the modules (game source) yet.

3) First depends on how your are playing. Are your companions meat-shield (tanks), light infantary, skirmishs, cavalary ?
Are you using the realism options? The ones that give you a penalty for using heavy armor.
And depends on your companions stats. They could be warriors or support characters (medic, engineer, scout, etc).

4) I think you are playing story-mode. You cant send companions for RTR for now. Once you finish the story it will revert to sandbox (or any new sandbox game).

It is blocked to prevent companions to go away just before a quest that requires them on your party.

also dont try to become king on story-mode. To soon.

5) Again depends on your style. On sieges you cant use a horse, but on battles maybe you prefer to use them...

axes have short range and are not good when you are on a horse.
swords can be deadly but you need to aim well (they lose more damage against heavy armor)
bows balance is a working in progress right now
you could get a 2H sword...
spear are cool too..

you will get some nice weapons with quests. Remember you can pay a weaponsmith in towns to improve them 2x (increase damage). Not all weapons tho.

-> I am a fan of sword/shield on ground and spear/shield on horse. But thats just my preference.
Cheers.

Hey! Yeah I've played ACoK for maybe 40 hours, and have played some other mods including the Warhammer one

Thanks for the answers, I think that you've answered mostly everything, but I don't really get why you can't send companions out (I ended up sending all my companions for information missions, which take them like 2 weeks to rejoin -> which is basically the same thing as Right to Rule missions). I guess I just have to finish the storyline, I'm at the final stages of it anyways!

(Thanks to the other dudes as well, I don't really know how to quote multiple people in the same post (will look into it), I don't want to spam the forums with replies lol.

Another question, is there any way to disable the death cam? I've run across a weird bug http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,323158.0.html
I think that disabling it entirely might fix this as the game has become crazy bugged since it's first occurance (now happens constantly after every time that I use it. I need to close the game and reboot it for the issue to go away).

@Kraggrim, I'm going to try that out this morning and see if it works! Thanks! :grin:

1. Is there anything more rewarding than Slaving enemies and selling them?
You can make a great deal trading by knowing where to take things. I.E. wool is expensive in Fresia, but cheap in Britain. You can also supply your own industries and transport the end product to the best port for sale. That being said as selling captives does not depend on supply and demand it is lucrative. Best source of income is to have a town and build it up and protect its traders.

2. Can you raise the amount of money merchants have (Without enabling cheats)
You can always go and get the elite equipment from a named smith or armorer, the money goes into his coffers so then you can sell what you have. you can also upgrade weapons with named smiths which again goes into their coffers. If you do not have the renown to use the named smith trade for goods, you can sell these for what you bought them for or more at another town or in villages.

3. What are the best weapons/gear for companions? Any hints for a new~ish player?
Frankish Axe is the best in my opinion. Best hitting power and destroys shields. Pair it with a shield, light ones from Scotland are best early as they do not effect power strike, later get them the best you can find (And, it is Weapon Master that adds to shield ability max it out with other fighting abilities). Get them the best armor (from named smith) expensive but they will survive. For missile weapons, I do not know? I think maybe bows, crossbows, and slings are best. If you mount them (which you should) they will not be tempted to use them in melee fifths and they can clear the walls for you on sieges. if they have significant power throw though you should give them throwing weapons. I gave Donnchadh balanced throwing spears early, latter switched to two 12-bags of horse javelins, he did better with the horse javelins. I do not recommend spears, too often they try to use them too close and they are useless.

4. How do I get the old 'Right to Rule' in VConquest?
Get out of the storyline (I.E. go sandbox or finish) then you can do the same old right to rule as WB.

5. What is the best weapon type in Singleplayer Viking Conquest?
Heavy Frankish Axe. It should be Heavy "Freakish" Axe.

Tyranicus said:
but I don't really get why you can't send companions out (I ended up sending all my companions for information missions, which take them like 2 weeks to rejoin
On release (version 1.0) it caused issues with the quests like broken quests and crashs. Devs solution was to not allow companions missions.
you shouldnt become a king while doing the story anyway, as you will need to be a vassal in the end. After the story is done you can become a king if you want to.

Just on story-mode tho. Sandbox does not has any limitation.

(Thanks to the other dudes as well, I don't really know how to quote multiple people in the same post (will look into it), I don't want to spam the forums with replies lol.
When you are doing a reply/quote: scroll down until you see the posts in the thread. Top right corner of each post you can see a button: INSERT QUOTE. That is used for multiple quotes in the same post.

tweaking stuff

Tools:
:arrow: TweakMB http://forums.taleworlds.com/?topic=101731.0 (some options work with using Native, others using Brytenwalda. Got wait for a update of the tool for full compatibility).
:arrow: Morghs: http://mountandblade.mircon.de/wp/morghs-mb-wbwfas-editor/frequently-asked-questions-en/ -> edit items, etc

Thanks! :grin: I'm checking out the tweaks, but I'm pretty noob at it, I don't want to mess up my game (also playing on the beta version).

Do you guys know if there is a way to make an item that is unuseable while mounted able to be used inside of items_kinds1.txt ?
I was looking around a couple things today and I'm trying to make the 2h sword used while riding (My guy does have 25 Str after all) haha

Here's an example of an item that i'd like to modify:

itm_heavy_practice_sword Goidelic_Champion_Sword Goidelic_Champion_Sword 2  GP_swords04 0  GP_swords04_Scabbard 3458764513820540928  274726915 9223635954365890800 1030 286740 2.000000 100 0 0 0 0 46080 80 0 85 0 272 45

Which value has to be altered?

Tyranicus said:
Do you guys know if there is a way to make an item that is unuseable while mounted able to be used inside of items_kinds1.txt ?

Morghs editor. You can change the settings of weapons using a UI so no need to worry about the txt file.

Cant use on horseback is a flag.

E.g of a screen:
mot3.jpg

kalarhan said:
Tyranicus said:

Morghs editor. You can change the settings of weapons using a UI so no need to worry about the txt file.

E.g of a screen:
mot3.jpg

Brilliant! Started using it, it's amazing! A lot easier than I thought it would be! :grin:

kalarhan said:
Tyranicus said:

E.g of a screen:
mot3.jpg

Morghs' Editor is the BEST! not only can you make many changes easily, but even if you do not want to change things it is great to see what stats and gear units have etc. Too bad it is not being updated anymore.

Back
Top Bottom