Traits: An Experiment and Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Reading about the trait system Viking Conquest, I was quite curious to see what governed the trait that people get over the course of the game.  Personally, my first was the Inspiring trait.  Hearing that there are at least a few others, I decided to do some messing around to do a little work to get some knowledge base out there on this and see if anyone has other experiences to share.  The method is provided for anyone who wants to to see if they reproduce the same results.  It does seem that I've figured out the trait thing, at least as far as getting them goes.

I created a character, named Test.  Using the text editor to change the character data, I set all of his skills and attributes to zero. From here, I made a new game, sandbox mode, hit random for the various background parts, and before even moving imported the Test stats then saved the game. From there, I used the Shift+L level cheat to level 64, and increased attributes and skills, individually, to 10.  I repeated this for each skill to see what the effect was, as well as playing with different combinations of attributes.  When leveled up like this, it takes only minutes to get the trait notification, and it seems that any change made prior to that message can affect the outcome.
There are only apparently three skills tied to getting special traits.
  • Ironflesh: This gave the trait "Strong
  • Athletics: This gave the trait "Tough"
  • Leadership: This gave the trait "Inspiring"
  • Any other skill, or no skill at all, all gave the trait "Berserker"
It seems that the trait acquisition is based on what level you are.  As I was cheating for the experiment, I do not know exactly what level triggers this.
Skill levels do govern what trait you get, however I do not know it if looks at highest skill, or what exactly the mechanic is to select between equal qualifying skills.
The trait berserker should be the most commonly noticed trait, due to it seeming to be a catchall for not qualifying for any other trait.
The potential for other traits exists, possibly as a combination of skills.  I personally think it unlikely, but still it is possible until disproven.
No trait has any meaningful description about what it does.
None of these effects are confirmed, however this is what I seem to have noticed.  It could all be wrong, or just due to my luck in game.

• Berserker: The screen is tinted red, and the player seems to deal more damage, and be more damage resistant. Usable only once per battle.
  • Strong: The player knocks on their shield with their weapon.  Does not function without shield.  No known effect.
  • Tough: As berserker, except there is not an increase in damage.  Seems to last longer than berserker.
  • Inspiring: The player yells and goes into the cheering animation, and cannot move until that animation is completed.  No known effect.  Presumed to be a morale bonus.  Since you cannot move when used, very dangerous to use near enemies.

As a player, I would very much appreciate some documentation on the effect of these traits, if for no other reason than to confirm they work as intended.

There it is, hope its helpful.  I did a quick search and didn't see anything with solid information.  What are your thoughts or experiences with the traits?

Hmm the other traits don't sound very impressive

I do love berserker though, used it against Sven and his thugs in the mead hall. It was very epic especially since I'm playing on normal damage taken.

I've gotten strong 3 times and from what I've seen it functionally does the same thing as the shield bashing in multiplayer. It's a fun sound for when you're waiting for something to happen, that's it.

So how can i ensure i will get the strong trait?
i really want to bang my shield and am tired of not being able too

Its my guess that all you need to do is make sure that Ironflesh is leveled up as much as it can be for you as you play.  Purely a guess, but if you keep that in mind, and don't also max out Athletics or Leadership, you should get it.  Still, I don't know what level you need to plan on getting.

Chief_Einherjar said:
I've gotten strong 3 times and from what I've seen it functionally does the same thing as the shield bashing in multiplayer. It's a fun sound for when you're waiting for something to happen, that's it.

Sound could be improved ALOT. Just saying.

Also increasing the horn sound or making it more epic for the love of Odin.

reiksmarshal said:
In playing 1.02 I haven't received a single horn as loot and I battle a lot. I think it was removed from single player in the last patch.
It wasn't, it's just extremely rare. I've gotten 2 about a year into my game and both of them were looted in Ireland. I've only played with 1.02.

vidamir said:
reiksmarshal said:
In playing 1.02 I haven't received a single horn as loot and I battle a lot. I think it was removed from single player in the last patch.
It wasn't, it's just extremely rare. I've gotten 2 about a year into my game and both of them were looted in Ireland. I've only played with 1.02.

I got one yesterday. New campaign, story-mode, 1.02beta -> 1.02.

The_Normal_Anomaly said:
Its my guess that all you need to do is make sure that Ironflesh is leveled up as much as it can be for you as you play.  Purely a guess, but if you keep that in mind, and don't also max out Athletics or Leadership, you should get it.  Still, I don't know what level you need to plan on getting.

The magic level appears to be 13 since I got 'Strong' shortly after leveling up to that level legitimately.  My Ironflesh was at 8, Athletics 6 (1 after equipment penalties), and Leadership 4.  I am playing sandbox.

The content here is now mostly outdated, and I will probably sit down and write a new bit up.

To the Developers, than you very much for adding descriptions to the traits to say what they do.  I'm going to guess that the leadership one is probably a power attack bonus for your team now, but in general it is very clear what they do and that clarity is very much appreciated.  Not only that, but the team benefits have clear, valid use and I am quite interested in how they will now play out against enemy armies.

theres a movement speed buff a battle call moral boost a shield durability buff and the battle rage i think u need 7 in the stat before 15 without doing multiple....

Does anyone know the exact effect of the various traits? IE, how much Power Strike do you actually get from Berserker, how much Iron Flesh for your soldiers from Strong, etc...And are all of the effects temporary, or do some last for the rest of the battle once activated? Using Strong when your army is formed up looks kinda neat (as long as they're holding fire - units with throwing weapons and what not won't bang on their shield), but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it once contact is made, which seems like it would greatly limit the usefulness if the effect is temporary.

Back
Top Bottom