NEW FACTION - German States

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello my fellow gamers, I am now sort of "in-charge" for this community. I'd like to introduce new update for The Deluge mod, which will implement new content for this mod, particularly new faction XVII German States. This faction will open a whole new series of updates linked to new western factions, I won't tell you more about what factions we want to put into the mod:smile:. It;s time for your bit and show your engagement for the mod, we are looking for new member/s of development team, such as graphic creators, to make new models, environment etc. Nevertheless other can help us too, if you have any information, links, screens and so on about units for new faction or just want to highlight something do not hesitate, join our discussion and good ideas will be put in the next update. As German States we deal with states like, Bavaria, Saxony, Brandenburg, Hesse, Brunswick, Mecklenburg, Thuringen and Palatinate and others small duchies inside The Holy Roman Empire. I hope you find new update as a good premise:smile: So, what do you know about German States hmm?

Promoting siganture:smile:

zP2b6k0.png

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,274.0.html][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zP2b6k0.png[/IMG][/url]

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Slawomir is no longer involved?

He is, but now he is focused strictly on modding, we've formed up a group responsible for "research" and community to give them as much time as they want to expand the mod:smile:

BTW, no more off-top here pls:smile:

One possible unique unit type for the Germans could be the Rondartschier, a type of medium swordsman with a steel shield. Weapons could include all manner of western swords (except Estocks of course), with longswords and rapiers being the most common. Armor could range from nothing to leather to full cuirass with tassets. Helmets would be much the same as the pikemen.

A full panoply of a Rondartschier, this one in leather (Warning, large image):
rondartschier1.JPG

And one in a cuirass:
image.php

Default equipment:
Karl%20rapp.jpg

(I know it says "Dragonerregiment", but that's just the name of the reenactment group)

Imperial Eagle said:
One possible unique unit type for the Germans could be the Rondartschier, a type of medium swordsman with a steel shield. Weapons could include all manner of western swords (except Estocks of course), with longswords and rapiers being the most common. Armor could range from nothing to leather to full cuirass with tassets. Helmets would be much the same as the pikemen.

A full panoply of a Rondartschier, this one in leather (Warning, large image):
rondartschier1.JPG

And one in a cuirass:
image.php

Default equipment:
Karl%20rapp.jpg

(I know it says "Dragonerregiment", but that's just the name of the reenactment group)

And this shield will break after the second kick butt?

Some pictures of German soldiers:

8352ap2.jpg

HQ.jpg

baroque-costumes-17th-century-013.jpg

some of artillery:

0002YQ6W78J1IHYC-C0-F3.jpg

DSC08363d.jpg

and some of the reenactment (i want drummers in this mod :grin: ):

Drummers.JPG

jicin01.jpg

MG_9700.jpg

NewPike.jpg

a3be0d6ec2bfabbd.jpg

Pszemo said:
That's Rupert's Blewcoates (image address is for their site) who historically were an English Royalist regiment famed for their stand at Naseby. Not sure who their opponents in yellow are, but I would imagine they could be William Waller's regiment of foote, although in the Sealed Knot I only know of William Waller's regiment of horse - however regiments come & go and change so goodness knows. Either way these are English pikemen not German.

Slag_om_Grolle_2008-1_-_Een_eenheid_piekeniers_doet_exercities_bij_de_kampementen.jpg
These chaps would be closer but even then I wouldn't use them as a direct source as they're portraying the Battle of Grolle (1627), which is a good 27 years before the Swedish Deluge of 1654. Fashions & styles do change.

rapier17 said:
Pszemo said:
That's Rupert's Blewcoates (image address is for their site) who historically were an English Royalist regiment famed for their stand at Naseby. Not sure who their opponents in yellow are, but I would imagine they could be William Waller's regiment of foote, although in the Sealed Knot I only know of William Waller's regiment of horse - however regiments come & go and change so goodness knows. Either way these are English pikemen not German.

Slag_om_Grolle_2008-1_-_Een_eenheid_piekeniers_doet_exercities_bij_de_kampementen.jpg
These chaps would be closer but even then I wouldn't use them as a direct source as they're portraying the Battle of Grolle (1627), which is a good 27 years before the Swedish Deluge of 1654. Fashions & styles do change.
Yes, but in my opinion English and German units look the same. Modification is throughout the seventeenth century.
Swedish Deluge it's 1654, of course, but Poland fought with Sweden earlier (1600-1629).

The earlier wars don't matter as this mod is specifically set AD1654 onwards - 'The Deluge' is named after 'The Swedish Deluge', the invasion of Poland in 1654. Of particular note is that the Swedish troops have the option of the longer coat which started to come into fashion during the 1650s and became the mainstay form of uniform coat across Europe.

A particular feature of continental armies, in comparison to English & Scandinavian forces, is that they tended to be a little more flamboyant. English clothing was predominantly 'somber' in terms of style and use of a single block colour for each garment. For example my English Civil War kit (in the centre at our 'religious service' at the Tower of London, 20th October 2013);
jGV2Tjv.jpg

My clothing was accurately reproduced to primary sources, and shows me as a man of the 'middling sort', the professional classes of people (in this case a turner), of the 1640s/50s. Yet my souldiers coate, which I would have probably purchased myself, is plain and devoid of any sign that I'm a man of means*, my singlet is plain as are my breeches. My stockings, due to being natural wool (undyed) give a sense of pattern but... yes, not really a flamboyant outfit (although I like the blue singlet & red coat together). Compare that to the photograph of continental soldiers at the Grolle re-enactment, or the images posted by others, and you'll see there is quite a difference.

"In my opinion" is not a suitable or applicable form of evidence.

*The Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes were an attempt to create trained militia that were dedicated to being part time soldiers, drawing recruits from the 'middling sorts' who could afford the equipment and were motivated. Compared to the bands of clubmen & trained bands** elsewhere in England they were good soldiers.
**They typically would meet for 'drill' once a month and use it as an excuse to go and get drunk together in local inns.

It may be hard to refer to all peoples above, but we have to consider few things about the mod; balance
Imperial Eagle said:
This was hardly used in Thirty Years' War, but we are about to add it as defensive unit against bow "spammers", especially on events and such. On events we want to show how wide range of units this mod present, event Tatars with their annoying bows, so this unit for GS would be very useful.

The second thing is "research", as we are Poles and history of our country we are lack of information about western armies etc. dear GOD we are lack of info even about our domestic army. We've decided to make this thread to sort of "use" your knowledge and possibilities to provide us as much details as you can, in this case internet is not perfect.

The last one is period, it's linked with the content above, in next release you may see some units that were  in use in Thirty Years' Wars, because we want to use entire XVII century, but if something is linked to Swedish Deluge period we will be likely to choose these rather than TYW.  Enjoy the discussion:smile:

NightHawkreal said:
Would be better if someone engaged in the improvement of the invasion.

Priority for now is to add the mod on Steam Workshop, therefore we can update the mod anytime we want and release new fixes and patches for every little bug:smile:

In deed its not, but Steam Workshop is very helpful in case of erasing bugs even without releasing "special" patch. Than you can post bug, we can erase it and in few days  the mod will be updated.  :mrgreen:

Priority for now is to add the mod on Steam Workshop

It's not the priority. :wink: Priority is to port the mod to 1.16x patches from WSE without losing too many features (going good so far) and to rewrite most of the client-server events to seal all the security holes and to increase performance.

Would be better if someone engaged in the improvement of the invasion.

As always, if you think something should/could be improved in some way, please write your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom