MP Native [WB] Power Lords: Castles, Cities, Kings, Nobles, Taxes! NEW SCREENS JAN2015

Users who are viewing this thread

KuVQNI.png

Power is always dangerous. Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best.​
The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.​

(more screenshots below)​
(video link soon)​

The Journey Begins
  • As an ordinary citizen with little money, plain clothing and crude tools.
  • Chop wood, mine for ore, fight bandits or become a soldier/guard to earn gold.
  • When you have saved enough gold you can purchase a secure house with lockable doors!

Consolidate Power
  • Once you own property you can collect horses, armor, weapons, items and store them.
  • Progress from manual labor to become a blacksmith or carpenter.  Be a merchant and own your shops, stables or inns!
  • Collect enough gold to start your own faction and recruit players to join your cause.  Send messages with faction chat!

Conquer the World
  • Capture Castles and Strongholds! Control Cities and Villages! Rule over surrounding lands and players with an iron fist!
  • Raise taxes in cities or villages you control using the revenue to hire the service of soldiers, royal guards or assassins!
  • Ally with other ruling lords or attack them and take their castles with force along with any cities or villages they control!

Gameplay Information
Open World
Explore a very large map with no limitations as you ride any horse you find, use any item you come across, equip any armor you purchase and fight with any weapon combo you wish. Basically if the item is in the game world you can use it and equip with no skill requirements.

Extended Play
The game round is currently set to last approx. 6-7 days and is likely to increase.  It is possible to make gameplay unlimited and save all player progress but I will have to study this further.  Player data would have to be saved to a webserver and then reloaded when map is reset.

Save Progress
At this time when a player leaves the server his bank balance, gold being carried, properties he owns, items stored in house and horses in stables are all saved.  The items he had equipped including armor, weapons or items are all saved if he exits the game at a house, castle, church or at an inn otherwise every item and all the gold he carries drops to the ground.  Horses should also be stalled in a stable as they are not saved if you leave the game while mounted.

Gameplay Features
  Currently Enabled
  • Players start with random clothing and random items. (tools or wooden weapons)
  • Resource based economy with mining and woodcutting. (land is very valuable)
  • Buy and Sell Armor, Weapons, Resources, Items, Horses and Property.
  • City banks for players to securely store gold. Chests to store gold at house.
  • Bleeding script added. Health drops slowly and blood stains on the ground are visible.
  • Increased blood, adjusted death animations, added new death sounds and decapitation enabled.
  • When a player dies he will drop all the gold he's carrying and drop all items carried. (all is lootable except armor)
  • Additional weapons are now throwable.  Mostly smaller one-handers and spear-like weapons like pitchforks etc.
  • Wooden weapons are now breakable both when attacking and when blocking.
  • Player owned buildings with two lockable doors and props to store gold, armor, weapons, horses etc.
  • Players are able to start a faction allowing other players to join at a faction stone.
  • Faction Lords may purchase a banner to allow the capture of castles.
  • Castles taken near cities allow players to claim lordship and set new tax rates for that area.
  • Feudal taxes on items sold can be collected by land controlling player Faction Lords.
  • Save location on exit enabling players to rejoin game at same spot. (house for instance)
  • Armor, weapons, items, gold carried, bank balance, properties, horses etc. all stored on player exit.
  • Crouching animation from native is now enabled.
  • Drowning script added.  Players and mounts will drown to death in deep water.
  • Players can heal at house, inn or church when injured and also heal mounts at stables or barns.
  • Overhead names display will show player names by pressing left ALT
  • Removed Global Chat & Team Chat. Added Local Chat and Colored Faction Chat.
  • Round Timer has been increased to last 6-7 days without reset.
  In Development
  • More complex healing system to make it more realistic.
  • Make the destroyable doors repairable/upgradeable.
  • Trade system based on scarcity. (rare and valuable items)
  Planned for the Future
  • Expand on faction system and add more kingdom management options for lords.
  • Player Owned Shops, Inns, Stables etc. (system for player to player transfers)
  • Item Placement for Property Owners (House Decorations)
  • Player to Player property sale of houses.
  • Buildable additions to property (stables, shed, fences, walls etc)

*** THIS MOD IS CURRENTLY BEING DEVELOPED AS OF 1/27/2015 AND FEATURES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***

Credits (incomplete)

Mod Developers
Deacon_Frost - MOD Concepts & Design - Scripting - New Items - New Sounds - Scenemaking
Typhon7 - Scenemaking

OSP Scripts & Resources
Vornne - several scripts and resources from Persistent World 4.4
TheBowman - Enterable Houses made for Persistent World (Vornne/Laszlo)
Arch3r - scripts for scene props that spawn items, horses, heal players.
Highlander - Increased Round Timer, Local Chat and Overhead Names Display
MadocComadrin - Colored Faction Chat Display
Flanged, Davee - Decapitation Kit
gutekfiutek  - Polished Landscapes (heavily modified NOT ORIGINAL partial use)
Lucke189 - Realistic Colors + Taller Grass (heavily modified NOT ORIGINAL partial use)
wanderer949 - MoreHorses and Warhorses
Spak - Spak Items OSP Pack

OSP Helmets - Community Helms
Dindi, Luigi, Njiekovic, Mirathei, Raz,
The Pope, TRC, Targir, Ubberdorc, Ursca

Module System Knowledge - Special thanks to those that have helped me learn to mod in one way or another.  Many more unlisted thank you all!
Vornne - source of great multiplayer modding info posted in various spots around forums
Caba'Drin - modding explanation and posted guides on forums
MadocComadrin - modding explanation and posted guides on forums
ithilienranger - answered modding questions
Lav - posted updated headers operations
Tempered, Sebastion - a drowing script in a post by NaglFaar
Yoshiboy - posting multiplayer modding guide

(feel free to comment, make suggestions or ask questions below)​

Sounds interesting. I will keep up with the thread. I would suggest to take out the "hardcore RP" on the thread title since that tends to scare some people.

yea I actually meant "action RP" there and "hardcore PvP" (player vs player combat).  At the time I was thinking action-based role playing instead of  story-based RP but yea I might just take out the RP in heading because its not really a role playing mod... more centered around combat. 

UPDATED -- changed heading 12/28/2014

Yes you are correct Jabdi.  Power Lords is like a PWmod with no RP rules. 

I want to create a feudalism style mod that is more about action and less about RP.  Players skilled in combat will be rewarded and they will rise in rank to lead armies which will then wage war on each other.  Other less skilled fighters will probably have to choose sides if they want protection or fend for themselves in their own pursuit of riches.  Maybe one day they will  own a house or stronghold and be somewhat safe on their own, however, organized factions that are collecting taxes will obviously be at a great advantage compared to the average citizen. 

The plan is to add some in-game structure to help players organize gameplay instead of trying to enforce admin rules on server.  Admin should join town watch or something otherwise just help the players that need assistance or have questions.  I would like to add some options for admins to hold events but that is almost like a whole new mod to add a tournament system or something.  I'm not even sure how many players this will get so I am adding some single player elements also.

Deacon_Frost said:
Yes you are correct Jabdi.  Power Lords is like a PWmod with no RP rules. 

I want to create a feudalism style mod that is more about action and less about RP.  Players skilled in combat will be rewarded and they will rise in rank to lead armies which will then wage war on each other.  Other less skilled fighters will probably have to choose sides if they want protection or fend for themselves in their own pursuit of riches.  Maybe one day they will  own a house or stronghold and be somewhat safe on their own, however, organized factions that are collecting taxes will obviously be at a great advantage compared to the average citizen. 

The plan is to add some in-game structure to help players organize gameplay instead of trying to enforce admin rules on server.  Admin should join town watch or something otherwise just help the players that need assistance or have questions.  I would like to add some options for admins to hold events but that is almost like a whole new mod to add a tournament system or something.  I'm not even sure how many players this will get so I am adding some single player elements also.
One of the reasons why I don't play PW much is because of RP rules, it breaks up the game and puts limitation of the player, and if you don't follow, you get banned. :evil:

Painmace said:
How are you going to make sure people dont Deathmatch and go in big groups of people and massacre everyone?
You still think this is going to be like persistent world RP. He said that this is like Persistent world but without rp rules so that you can kill who you want.

How do you think this will last if there is only the incentive to kill therefore how are you supposed to  make money? there will be no safe zone and it will be death matching everywhere, is that the idea?

Well thanks for the comments and questions.  I was not very active for about 4-5 weeks there due to a busy work schedule but seeing these posts has got me back into modding.  The holiday break will now give me time to work on Power Lords once again!  :cool:

Alfredthegreat said:
One of the reasons why I don't play PW much is because of RP rules, it breaks up the game and puts limitation of the player, and if you don't follow, you get banned. :evil:
I had similar experiences even when I was RP'ing and following rules.  People will sometimes lie to the admin or are friends with them.  I think that ultimately the rules have a negative effect on gameplay by limiting the action and making things too boring.  You cant take revenge for instance if there is a New Life Rule in place.

Painmace said:
How are you going to make sure people dont Deathmatch and go in big groups of people and massacre everyone?
If it is just a random person joining the server to run around killing ppl they wont get very far. All new players start with simple wooden weapons or tools that are breakable.  These weaker weapons will not hold up vs players that are well equipped and ready for battle.  If a large group of players want to stand around unarmed I suggest they do this in a secure house or an estate with a courtyard.

Swiftwisp said:
How do you think this will last if there is only the incentive to kill therefore how are you supposed to  make money? there will be no safe zone and it will be death matching everywhere, is that the idea?
Well who knows if this will last but I'll say this... Power Lords isn't just about making money it is about seeking power.  To gain power and to maintain it the use of force is necessary to some degree.  Especially if there were to be a shortage of resources or if greedy people were to become powerful.  There will be safezones if players create them or purchase them.

Yea it is the idea... to make things more brutal and difficult to survive out in the open pursuit of riches.  The only way to great wealth will be to organize and seek power as a faction.  But the factions should also be tough with only the most competent fighters leading the way for new recruits. Only the strongest would survive and the faction would be ruled by the sword.  It would be so brutal they would sometimes duel each other for the top spot or maybe just assassinate their own king in a dirty way to steal the throne.  It will suck for the player who was king but he should choose company more wisely in the future and it will also set things up for revenge as he retakes the throne.

Lidiss said:
Beta testing? :razz:  :fruity:
Sure, I will try to make a test copy ASAP!!!  Early Access to POWER LORDS coming soon!!!  Some of the features are pretty basic for now but the mod is quite playable tbh. :shifty:

Alright, cheers for answering all our questions, and I look forward to a beta release. I know many members of the Regiment I'm in would like to play this mod and we have done private testing in the past if you would like that as well. add me on Steam; [32nd] Swiftwisp

Ok steam invite sent!! That would be great to do some testing with more players.  We are finishing the test map and deciding on gameplay structure for the map.  There is some scripting left to do but I plan to cut it short and push towards early testing.

You are in the UK correct??  I am in the US so I'm currently using a small 20 player test server located in Chicago, IL.  It would be nice to have Power Lords on a Euro server at some point but the mod is too raw and unfinished for that now.  It is not ready out of the box so to speak but I do appreciate your offer, thank you.

The past few weeks I've basically redesigned the faction system to work with a smaller player base.  With the new system fewer ppl can control more cities and either rule from a main castle or attempt to rule several castles regionally.  I'm sorry I meant to post some updates but decided just to work on the mod instead.  I will have to set aside some time and update the main post to provide more details and screenshots.

Sounds good so far, as you're not going to get the massive player base straight off the bat as many persistent mods expect. We are EU yes, the server is based in England I believe with a 50 slot server which we use for playing different mods, but it is a personal server of one of the Regiment members, obviously if it is popular with the Regiment the longer the mod will stay up, most likely it will stay up for sometime as it is a new mod. If you are working on the mod, I don't care for update notes  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom