Hunting and fishing

Users who are viewing this thread

Krik: Yeah. Roadkill is the ****tiest thing about driving. I keep a buck knife in my glove compartment just in case.

Gessy: Small game hunting is fun. And a lot more manageable meat quantity-wise than big game. Shouldn't be hard to get into where you live. And shotguns and lower calibre rifles are pretty cheap if you're not a snob about it.

Teofish said:
if you're not a snob about it.
Tally ho.  :razz:

hunter-with-two-english-setters.jpg

As I live in a relatively rural part of the UK, I do like to take my air rifle out to the fields and (attempt) to shoot rabbits. I've only ever hit one, but I haven't done it much. Tend to just shoot targets.

I can't do that.  :???:

There's a law over here stating that small game must be shot with 22's or higher.

I recall my father telling me how he shot down crows and seagulls with his air rifle as a young boy.  :razz:

Yep. Birds are pretty much your bar with standard air rifles. There are stronger ones with larger projectiles meant for varmint eradication and such produced in the states. But in those cases you're probably better off buying a .22

I also have a rather powerful crossbow, but in the UK you're not allowed to hunt with it. If I was in the US though...

Crossbows were briefly legal a couple years ago in NY, but i think they are banned again. Or maybe they arent. There was sone regulation i dont know...
Edit: also, yes, a lot more of the venison was wasted than i had origonally thought. If I had thought i would lose this much meat i wouldnt have taken the shot. Then again i didnt think i was going to hit through the gut and the thigh, so...

Yep, you were right, of course.

Got 11 pounds of ground meat out of it. Which means I have to buy 11 pounds of ground pork to mix in with it. Gives me 22 pounds of meatballs. Yay  :razz:

I wish there wasnt a travel ban due to the weather. If it wasnt for that id be out getting my two doe tags filled out right now.

Oh, so there is fellow hunters in taleworlds forums. I thought i was only one.

What guns do you have and in which caliber?

Beretta SV10 Prevail I Over/under 12/76
Benelli M2 semiautomatic 12/76
Sako Black Bear 9,3x62
Tikka T3 Varmint .222
Tikka M65A .308

@Alatzy; you know, I really the look and form of a lot of those little Tikka .222 guns and I've heard good things about their performance.

It's just too bad that .222 is just a little too different from .223 to make any use of them.

Gestricius said:
Can we add camping to the thread?
I usually fish when I camp.
Can't be bothered to specify every little thing in the title. Camping's a natural part of both activities. So it's covered by default as I see it.

Austupaio said:
@Alatzy; you know, I really the look and form of a lot of those little Tikka .222 guns and I've heard good things about their performance.

It's just too bad that .222 is just a little too different from .223 to make any use of them.
There is good and bad things in Tikka rifles, if i have to choose between Tikka and Sako (both are made and owned by same company, Beretta), i would choose a Sako. All Sako's have and Tikka's have same barrels, difference between these guns are in stocks, they but more time in those with Sako's. At least in my opinion. And i have heard that some Tikka rifles have problems with triggers and that spike that detonates cartridge.

I like to use .222 because of its really low and soft recoil. Also bullets are really cheap. (Atleast in Finland.)
When i'm hunting Black grouses and Wood grouses, i usually take .222 with me. Also i'm really into shooting foxes and i haven't yet found better bullet that can beat Hornandy V-Max (when bullet hits, it literally explodes  :oops:)

I have thought about buying a new caliber soon, was thinking about .270 Winchester or .280 Remington, does anyone have any experience with these two calibers?

Back
Top Bottom