Wargaming Thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

On a plus side, it looks like all the current fantasy armies have free erata downloads for their existing rulebooks. It also looks like the rule changes between Fantasy and Age of Sigmar are also a free download.

str0nk_toldi_iia_tank_of_plastic_by_capturedjoe-d913pxx.jpg
ZLXKP.jpg
jlBF-.jpg
(Pics taken by my sister's mobile phone.)

My 1:35 HobbyBoss 38M Toldi IIa Hungarian light tank, just finished with the base color.

I wanted to apply a fictional green-and-black camo pattern for it, but I just found out we don't have any Matt Black paint left at home, so that'll have to wait. Until then I can't start on the roundels either, by the way. Also I have ordered some Hunnish crewmembers from MiniArt, but it'll take them a while to get here.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure anymore whether I still want to add the black spots for the camo... it looks kinda good already I think... hmmmm.

As usual, thin your paints before application and // or apply a light primer to the model. It's extra effort but it always pays dividends with the end result.
What are you painting with? Acrylics? Enamel?

Speaking of, my kid-brother picked up an Avro Lancaster model at an airshow we attended this weekend. We're not going to tackle it until the Autumn but it reminded me of the horrific times, as a kid, painting the larger bombers with a paintbrush. Now I have an opportunity to purchase a small air compressor and an airbrush - finally! Mhm'dat smooth finish.

Well the grey-green paint I used was from an old enamel bottle which didn't mix very well, so I had to manually apply the thinner outside the bottle with my paintbrush...
Also the model looks better in reality.

mcwiggum said:

These just look like the overly shiny stuff that GW keeps plastering on 40k nowdays, but it's regular Warhammer.  :neutral:

Holy **** :lol: I somehow missed all the news about that until recently and saw a small summary post on /r/warhammer about why people didn't like the changes, but I didn't realize just how much it is like 40k. RIP Warhammer Fantasy.

I should finish painting my models that I bought 10+ years ago. I also have a small Bretonnian army, as well as a few random other units from various races and the 3rd and 4th edition box sets (so Empire, Lizardmen, and Orks). I'd also like to get into making models as I have a couple I ended up getting that I saw on sale or were really cheap on Amazon.

I have nothing to make them with atm though.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Speaking of, my kid-brother picked up an Avro Lancaster model at an airshow we attended this weekend. We're not going to tackle it until the Autumn but it reminded me of the horrific times, as a kid, painting the larger bombers with a paintbrush. Now I have an opportunity to purchase a small air compressor and an airbrush - finally! Mhm'dat smooth finish.

I still use paintbrush  :lol: But never again am I painting a B-17 with it; it was horrible (well, everything is, but this one was very horrible) because for some reason, unlike the British, Yanks did not bother to put any camo on their bombers and therefore it is all just one color and no transitions to take attention from horrible paint.

BenKenobi said:
I still use paintbrush  :lol: But never again am I painting a B-17 with it; it was horrible (well, everything is, but this one was very horrible) because for some reason, unlike the British, Yanks did not bother to put any camo on their bombers and therefore it is all just one color and no transitions to take attention from horrible paint.
You could try to paint PinUps all over the plane though...

Also paintbrush master race.

I do WW2 skirmishes in 28mm.

To remove the pain of cross-checking charts for every shot, I designed an excel spreadsheet that reduces firing to a simple click of a button (to choose the weapon) and it rolls the dice and gives you the results.

With firing results determined so quickly you can fire half a dozen bursts in a turn resolving each one separately without slowing the game down and still taking into count all the modifiers. (Range, wounds, suppression, movement, cover, how quickly he's firing etc.)

When my camera battery recharges I might post a picture of one of my latest pieces of terrain.

Sounds handy. Is it Flames of War, or whatever that one wargame is called? I only remember it because I used to drool over their Finnish miniatures. :iamamoron:

It's actually a homemade wargame. I can almost never find myself satisfied with rulesets written by other people. They are usually either overly complicated to the point that a single game takes all day or over simplified to the point that the interesting details are glossed over.  :lol:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3148

Not quite the same era, but they're pretttttttttty, I know I am going to buy them just to assemble and paint and be done with it.

Bobtheheros said:
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3148

Not quite the same era, but they're pretttttttttty, I know I am going to buy them just to assemble and paint and be done with it.
Love the detail on the plate armour.  :smile:

I've been browsing my 1/35 figures collection yesterday, and I found out I have this figure set from Dragon I bought years ago for some reason:
dra6157_01.jpg
I still haven't done anything with those figures though (the sprues are still in the plastic bags), and I don't have any plans to use them in any way in the future... so, does anyone here want to trade this figure set? I think it'd be a shame to use these fine figures just for spare parts and such, maybe someone else wants to assemble some wintery Fallshirmjäger.

So, with my brother's visit that ended just the last weekend, he introduced me to Necromunda, which of course means I bought a bunch of new models for it. Being the special snowflake I am, I went for a community-made Ad-Mech gang. Got most of the models sorted, but still haven't found anything good for the Menials (their equivalent of Juves. Even cheaper and even more expendable)

pic4.jpg

In the short campaign that I played, I just gave him a basic autopistol and a power axe, as well as the servo-arm to be able to use both. The model itself has weapons and arms visible enough for anything I might need though, which is good
pic3.jpg

The gun itself actually fit really well in the socket of the arm, despite not being part of the same box. Might need a bit of green-stuffing just to cover the gaps, but it was a near-seamless conversion job there.
pic2.jpg

Again, the fitting of the gun (in this case, an autocannon barrel) was a simple matter. Wanted to go with something bigger than a handheld grenade launcher considering the size of the platform it's on, so went for a vehicle-mounted GMG look... except with multiple ammo feeds for the different grenade types that'd be in use
pic5.jpg

Pretty self explanatory there. Gave the guy with the sniper-ish weapon the model with the most sniper-ish weapon.
pic6.jpg

Deciding what weapon to make the Arc-thingie be in the Necromunda rules was a bit tricky, but I decided to go with a flamer in the end due to the whole lighting arcing in a short range stuff.
pic7.jpg

And the basic footsoldiers. Very simple affair of giving them all autoguns and laspistols as a backup. Didn't give them Radium Carbines since the downside was too much for the potential extra injuries dealt.
pic1.jpg

Still got an industrial servitor to do the conversion work on as well, though it seems it'll be a bit more challenging to get right. And yes, I know having such large models for things will likely be a problem in terms of not getting shot, but I honestly don't care when they look that shiny :razz:

Back
Top Bottom