Wargaming Thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

I have a small Bretonnian army. I don't have anyone to play with anymore since my roommate moved to California. Mostly now they're just a hobby to paint, which I at least enjoy. If all I'm doing is painting them, I'm probably just going to start buying cheaper historical figures instead. My wife and I are going to put together a large diorama of a village and countryside for display with my miniatures.

We do have a Warhammer thread buried somewhere in the Other Games forum, or so I remember.

Tib, I bought an absolute **** ton of Bretonnians two months back as rumours were going (and still are) that the line is going to be revamped. Since I cannot stand GW's current choices of aesthetic, I figured I should buy as many of my precious Bretonnians as I possibly could. Only, I didn't quite bet on how many would actually arrive.  :razz: I'll get a picture up on the weekend somewhere since they're all at home.

As for historicals, do you have a specific period in mind? There are literally hundreds of lines to choose from now, many of them are of superb quality and considerably lower than what one would pay for from Games Workshop.

For historical minatures i'd definitely reccomend Victrix, they've got a few napoleonic box sets and seem to be expanding in an ancient civilisations setting at the moment, great detail on the minatures though.
http://www.victrixlimited.com/

mcwiggum said:
Centurions look and/or are rediculous. (Second on the left.)
marine_models.jpg
Agreed. It looks like the only way they could move is by hobbling around. I like dreadnaughts though, except i usually paint mime a bit darker, and i usually throw in some scorch marks on  the  metal, blood on the fists, and such forth.
Actually, i paint all my space marines a bit darker. I like em that way. I should post  some pictures, if i could figure out how...

Leifr Eiríksson said:
We do have a Warhammer thread buried somewhere in the Other Games forum, or so I remember.

Tib, I bought an absolute **** ton of Bretonnians two months back as rumours were going (and still are) that the line is going to be revamped. Since I cannot stand GW's current choices of aesthetic, I figured I should buy as many of my precious Bretonnians as I possibly could. Only, I didn't quite bet on how many would actually arrive.  :razz: I'll get a picture up on the weekend somewhere since they're all at home.

As for historicals, do you have a specific period in mind? There are literally hundreds of lines to choose from now, many of them are of superb quality and considerably lower than what one would pay for from Games Workshop.

I've heard rumors for a while of army book revamps for the Bretonnians, but nothing about a total army revamp. Aesthetically, it's my favorite WFB army. It's a very cynical look at high medieval feudalism, and the fantasy elements are appropriate, not jarring. It's also the correct period for a fantasy setting IMO. The Empire in comparison, is too steampunk for my liking and personally I feel there could have been better sources of inspiration for a human empire than the Holy Roman Empire. But my opinion must be in the minority considering how popular the Empire is the Bretonnia isn't.

As for historical, I'm interested in the Norman Conquest of Southern Italy. It allows a good diverse mix of cultures and troops. Normans, Arabs, Byzantines.

I think it's the general look of the empire, fancy uniforms, huge flags, masses of pointy polearms, big boomy guns ect.
Got to admint, steam tanks and mechanical horses are a tad silly.

They also don't have unwashed dung ages peasants clodding about. I mean, if you want any kind of remotely useful infantry and play human then you're looking at the Empire.

Also, guns and cannon are popular.

Not that it matters anyway as they're only fit for enslavement and sacrifice to Khaine.

Leifr Eiríksson said:

The field trebuchet is available for $56 on the GW website right now. Hell of a lot cheaper than I've seen the sets on eBay for a while now. Actually ordered it.

I'm a fan of warhammer 40k rogue trader.  Sure we could never finish a battle in a night, and creating an army took forever.  I suppose it was a good thing to streamline gameplay, but it went from ages 16+ to 5+ if I recall correctly?  Or something like that.

Love spending time on Eastern Fringe in the past.  Traffic went down over there but there seems to be a minority of us who love the old times.  And dreadnoughts looked better back then.

The original terminators looked really crap though.

And I prefer the old system of psionics.

Can we just change this to a wargaming in general thread? I guess in that case it should get moved to the other games section. In any case, I finally started on my table I've wanted to do for a while.

Very early work in progress.

a4f52ceb751ee92cada16d45d4b595a8_zps591ba96c.jpg

And here's my recently purchased trebuchet, just assembled and primed.

c5800ab149c1f1e68c53bf49b1c95ded_zps12e9dc85.jpg

Vraelomon said:
Ooh very nice. Tell me more about that table.

Well, it's on an MDF base. 6x2.5 feet dimensions. I'm using a high density insulation foam for the terrain. I have around 7 buildings on order for a village on the right side of the river. On the far right end of the table will be another hill with a fort on top. I'm going to be using the GW fortress actually. There will be a farm and forest to the left of the river.

7e0357441a633f3c9f56608620709fa7_zpsa6a7f477.jpg

Nice sounding table. Im going to start mine a bit later when i have some more money coming in, but yours sounds like its going to turn out real nice. Be sure to post some pictures when your done and while your working on it.

Back
Top Bottom