PW dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
RealmHawk said:
Vornne, the creator of pw

:roll:

Honestly in my opinion PW's community has been on a consistent decline regarding the maturation of the community. While in past years discussion was vitriolic, you could at least expect lively discussion and heavy debate, if lacking in civility (as it has always been). The main antagonists back then were rowdy Eastern European gangs of randomers, now it appears that the community has folded in on itself. In prior times the ugliness of the PW community was surpassed by NW, but it is now apparent it no longer holds even that dubious status.
I could be  wrong but isnt it lasszlew? He made pw but vornne made pw what it is now and its come a long way since then

I just started PW about 2 weeks ago and it seems like there are only 2 well populated servers to choose from at the moment
and both are filled with RDM.  There are 30 empty servers and trying to join a server with 3 people doesn't allow for much interaction.

It seems to me that if the admins came to a faction with a lot of players and said 'hey, I need your help to follow this storyline for the
next hour' the other players on the server would see something happening and want to be a part of it.

Here are a few examples:
The faction lord needs to send a wagon full of gold or cloth to another castle to pay ransom for a captured family member.  Guards from the
faction go around town looking to buy cloth from the peasants to fill their wagon and food for the journey. (this lets people know something is up)
A disloyal guard in the faction tells his friend who is a bandit about the shipment and the bandit goes around town recruiting peasants
to help him rob the wagon as it passes through the mountains.  If the attack suceeds the remaining wounded peasant/bandit mob would
have to hide the loot at the bandit hideout and the survivors from the faction could ride back and tell the lord about the raid.  The lord could
go to the second factions castle and ask for help retrieving the ransom and at that point when the second castle is empty or lightly guarded some
people could try to slip in and rescue the prisoner.  The whole robbery could be a fake and the wagon was empty and now the bandits and
faction 1 turn on faction 2 and attack them.  Anyone logging on during the story could be told what was going on up to that time by an admin
playing a town gossip back near the bank/tavern area where people congregate.

The forum could be used for people to write story suggestions that would then get played out.  You could even audition for parts like a play.
I think a murder mystery would be a good story to follow with the players trying to figure out which one of them killed the town doctor or whoever.
(my money is on the apprentice healer who wanted him out of the way to steal his business. but maybe it was the brewer who was jealous
of the doctor courting his girl).

Its a lot of fun to play a mod where you can create a character and talk and take a break from the constant battle of multiplayer siege servers.
(which is fun too)

The servers should be recruiting dungeon masters/storytellers as well as admins.

Here's the problem man...not everyone wants t play hunt down the thief who stole the bread...or protect the gold cart...creating scenarios like this wont stop people from rdming eachother...cause if people want to rdm then they will rdm...theres nothing wrong with this game

antimatter said:
Here's the problem man...not everyone wants t play hunt down the thief who stole the bread...or protect the gold cart...creating scenarios like this wont stop people from rdming eachother...cause if people want to rdm then they will rdm...theres nothing wrong with this game

Creating scenarios like this does reduce the amount of randoming. This is a fact that I've personally come to find. Given your experience-clad PW career, I suppose you think otherwise.

Giving people an objective or scenario doesn't necessarily mean that they have to roleplay. It simply means that instead of doing that they were doing before, they are working towards something different and somewhat orchestrated. In events such as these, admins are ever vigilant and thus can point out any breaches in the rules and ultimately prevent it from happening in the first place. Need to calm a highly populated server down? Host a siege event. Players that want to participate will be the ones putting their necks on the line; not to mention it'll get people that are hyped up to fight out of the way from less aggressive players for some time. I've rarely run into major issues with hosting these spontaneous events on servers such as Avalon. There was seldom a shortage in players, and those players in question loved the possibility of having their normal playing session transform into something they did not expect.

Not all mini events on PW involve sitting around a cozy campfire chatting about who stole my bread. If people want to random, they can if they please; they'll just get banned.

Barradin said:
antimatter said:

Creating scenarios like this does reduce the amount of randoming. This is a fact that I've personally come to find. Given your experience-clad PW career, I suppose you think otherwise.

Giving people an objective or scenario doesn't necessarily mean that they have to roleplay. It simply means that instead of doing that they were doing before, they are working towards something different and somewhat orchestrated. In events such as these, admins are ever vigilant and thus can point out any breaches in the rules and ultimately prevent it from happening in the first place. Need to calm a highly populated server down? Host a siege event. Players that want to participate will be the ones putting their necks on the line; not to mention it'll get people that are hyped up to fight out of the way from less aggressive players for some time. I've rarely run into major issues with hosting these spontaneous events on servers such as Avalon. There was seldom a shortage in players, and those players in question loved the possibility of having their normal playing session transform into something they did not expect.

Not all mini events on PW involve sitting around a cozy campfire chatting about who stole my bread. If people want to random, they can if they please; they'll just get banned.
I played longer than you my boy thats on mines..and despite what you said..both my points still stand..not everyone is down for random events and it wont stop rdming

Although I'm very new to PW, I want to contribute my opinion of this matter.

There are probably far less players of PW now than the time you all speak so well of, but I believe PW is far from "dead". Furthermore, I don't think you need huge numbers of people for an enjoyable session. Last night I was playing on Nexus and despite reasonably small numbers we experienced a small scale siege, robbery and numerous skirmishes.
As for the randomers, however, I haven't been bothered by them yet. The honest folk seem to band together a lot on the Nexus, making it a bit harder for the randomers.

antimatter said:
I played longer than you my boy thats on mines..and despite what you said..both my points still stand..not everyone is down for random events and it wont stop rdming

I've been playing Mount & Blade since its release. You were what, 5 years old at the time? Learn your place young man.

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
RealmHawk said:
Vornne, the creator of pw

:roll:

Honestly in my opinion PW's community has been on a consistent decline regarding the maturation of the community. While in past years discussion was vitriolic, you could at least expect lively discussion and heavy debate, if lacking in civility (as it has always been). The main antagonists back then were rowdy Eastern European gangs of randomers, now it appears that the community has folded in on itself. In prior times the ugliness of the PW community was surpassed by NW, but it is now apparent it no longer holds even that dubious status.

Where the **** have you been?

Froi said:
Oh joy, it got un-muted.  Why do you have to be such an ******* Womble?  Did you get beat at home, what?

I find being surrounded by such intellectual inferiors so frustrating that I have to resort to calling them nasty words.

Not my fault everyone else is a bit slow.

Raging Womble said:
Froi said:
Oh joy, it got un-muted.  Why do you have to be such an ******* Womble?  Did you get beat at home, what?

I find being surrounded by such intellectual inferiors so frustrating that I have to resort to calling them nasty words.

Not my fault everyone else is a bit slow.

Womble please just stop for your own good  :cry:  Brutus will come and take away our crayons if you don't  :oops: :oops: :oops:

antimatter said:
Everyones slow because you like to insult ppl? Grow up man I'm 11 and I dont do that **** smh :roll: :roll: :neutral:

antimatter said:
Im stretching the limits of yo mommas ass ****boy get back at me when you think of  something good like that you ol niggas beat me up in school so now i pick on a 11 year old on the internet to feel hard ass nigga

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
antimatter said:
Everyones slow because you like to insult ppl? Grow up man I'm 11 and I dont do that **** smh :roll: :roll: :neutral:

antimatter said:
Im stretching the limits of yo mommas ass ****boy get back at me when you think of  something good like that you ol niggas beat me up in school so now i pick on a 11 year old on the internet to feel hard ass nigga

contradicting statement at its finest

Sir Edwards said:
Suspicious Pilgrim said:
antimatter said:

antimatter said:

contradicting statement at its finest

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think any of us had realised the glaringly obvious until you revealed it to us, so once again, cheers.

Me and a friend have played PW since the really old days, alpha .4 or something , on servers long forgotten and we can't remember much other than the maps they featured, before Aldrics first servers etc on servers filled with what was at the time a relatively tight knit community, gradually it has gotten to the point where so many random players play PW irrespective of the rules that we didn't enjoy it anymore.

I mean in the old days (I'm talking a good few years ago shortly after the release) roleplay was a lot stronger and you could have fun all day without having some 12 year old bolt you in the face for looking at him funny. Part of the reason for this is the mods fault for introducing features that made everything so much harder, like item stocks, even horses etc which are a pain as there are so few people willing to spend hours making horses, especially when you get RDMd and spawn back with 1/4 hp, role playing isn't rewarded as much as it used to be.

I suspect it's more to do with the fact that the rules are utter garbage yet hailed as some kind of idealism. Fools keep adding rules to cover loopholes, it takes a truly well designed rule that is short and unexploitable.

Back
Top Bottom