[WNL4] Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate putting back Frosty battle instead of Desolation Valley.

Obviously in the end a lot of this comes down to opinion but we decided that we didn't like the direction that Frosty Battle had taken. It's become normal for teams just to lump archers on the hill and wait for flag and there's not really been much innovation on the map for a while. We preferred all of the current open maps over it and we're confident people will see Desolation Valley as a great addition when they play it in a competitive environment.

I thought people played it in a competitive environment and they weren't exactly happy about it. Or was it just me and a whole lot of other people or did I miss something, people actually liked it?

Jony.D. said:
I thought people played it in a competitive environment and they weren't exactly happy about it. Or was it just me and a whole lot of other people or did I miss something, people actually liked it?

It was tested in the North American Map Testing Tournament and the majority of the feedback was positive with very little negativity about the map at all.

yourNotAlone said:
Did anyone make sure that every map has working flags? I remember Ruins to have a broken one.

Very good point, it's been on the fix list for quite some time. I'll speak to some mappers and see if we can get that sorted very soon.

Time for some personal notes on the ruleset:

Map Pool

(This is just my opinion, feel free to argue)

Closed Maps:

Fort of Honour: Still Balanced, Still Good
Mountain Fortress: Teams still haven't mastered tactics on this map and fights tend me be intresting as well. A keep
San'di'Boush: So many tactics and a true displayer of skill. Keep
Nord Town: No thank you. Even the ladderless version feels stale and monotonic on competitive (though I like this map on Public), just no.
Verloren: Damn that map is still good :grin:

Replacements

Stronghold: A better version of Nord Town. The alleyways are wide, buldings not OP and a great flow of the map as well. It would be worth a competitive test
Harton Keep: It actually plays similar to CS:GO Nuke, with broad sides and a tight center which is not a neccesarily good position. Every class is viable and can dish out pain and I have seen some close round in IG BG in this map. PLZ add it!

Open Maps:

Field by the River: The map really starts to go stale when tactics are the same, and tactics didn't change for a long time. However there are not many replacements so a keep
Reveran Village: I like that it is either a roflstomp for one team or a close fight when flags spawn near the village (the left flag is actually the equalizer of this). Still like it, Still In
Ruins: Most of the good Warband matches have been played on Ruins. Another true displayer of skill. Instant Keep
Desolation Valley: The problem I have with this map is that to go anywhere on the ridge, you need tons of cav. Considering that the ruins is a prime position and cav is not stupid to go uphill against Spawn 2, it will be an alright map for competitive. A testing keep
Castellum: Very exploitive spots like the wooden wall where archer are safe shooting into the flag, many dangerous corners and not an intresting position war for flags. A no-keep

Replacements:

Frosty Battle: I know camping archers are the problem on this map but still good tactics allow inf to get the archers on the hills before going flag. Pushes require a lot of coordination though. It is more of a question of "Do we have something better?" and my answer is...no.

Format Rules

I will go one by one on this one

The WNL will be a ladder.

As I said before, I prefered a ladder system rather than a division system to rank teams properly.

Teams will be assigned levels according to how many matches they have won.

Level 0: 0 Wins
Level 1: 1 Win
Level 2: 2 Wins
Level 3: 3 Wins
Level 4: 4-5 Wins
Level 5: 6 Wins
Level 6: 7-8 Wins

My calculation say that in Week 7, most teams would be Level 4 so challenging a level 5-6 team would bring a nice gamble that could shuffle the rankings, pretty quickly.

Teams will be awarded 0 points for a loss and 1 point for a draw, irrespective of team level. Teams that beat an opponent of the same or a lower level will receive 3 points. Teams that beat an opponent of a higher level than themselves will be awarded 4 points if the team is 3 or less points ahead and 5 points if the team is 4 or more points ahead.

No rewards for teams who beat a 2 of more levels ahead team?

There will be a playoff between the top two teams at the end of the tournament if the following any of the following criteria are met:

The first placed team has a losing record against the second placed team and they are within 2 or less points of each other.
The top two teams have yet to play against each other and are within 2 or less points of each other.

Nice prevention of such situations:

The fixtures themselves will be done by the teams on selected "pick nights" with the same format as Season 2 of the WNL. For the first pick night, the teams will be given a randomised order in which to pick.

While I am a fan of pick nights, I would rather have random week 1 fixtures. Maybe it is a handicap for making it 8 weeks rather than 12 weeks

Pick nights will take place every Monday between 18:00 - 20:00 BST. Each team will be allotted a 2 minute timeslot to pick their opponent in. Picking order will be prioritised as follows:

Teams with 0 points that were in the WNL the previous week.
Teams that have joined the WNL in the current week.
After these, teams will pick in order of points (from lowest to highest).
Should teams have equal priority, then the team with the most rounds won will be given priority.

If you are to have a 2 min pick time, then make sure that a team can at least send potential picks before the pick night or else we will have a lot of randomizes when there shouldn't be.

Priority criteria is ok

If a team misses their pick or makes a invalid pick, it will be randomised from any of the next 3 teams in the picking order that lost their latest match or are new to the ladder. Failing that, the pick will be taken from the next team in the picking order that lost their last match or is new to the ladder. Failing that, the pick will be randomised from any of the next 3 teams in the picking order.

Again, make sure that team can send potential picks if they cannot attend pick night!

If a team only has two teams to choose from and one of the teams sat out the previous week, they must pick that team.

AKA the SoE boredom fix

In order to make scheduling more transparent, teams have until Thursday 19:00 BST to write the date and time of their match in the new "Match Scheduling" thread. If you're unable to contact your opponent before the deadline, please post a short message explaining the situation. Should the opponent fail to make their presence known by the deadline, then teams will be able to select a date of their choice. The thread can be used for all of a teams scheduling communication or they may simply post the date and time of their match there.

What if both teams don't make their presence known? A ditched match with 0 points awarded?

Phew, that is it..

(PS: BT Comink Soon)

Killfacer said:
Jony.D. said:

It was tested in the North American Map Testing Tournament and the majority of the feedback was positive with very little negativity about the map at all.

NA? Right now I don't see any NA team signed up. Or was perhaps half of the teams eu? And since when does mean that if majority of NA feedback was positive, then the feedback from EU must or should be the same.

Also @Dasvi I call these lines crap:
San'di'Boush: So many tactics and a true displayer of skill. Keep
Nord Town: No thank you. Even the ladderless version feels stale and monotonic on competitive (though I like this map on Public), just no.
Stronghold: A better version of Nord Town. The alleyways are wide, buldings not OP and a great flow of the map as well. It would be worth a competitive test
Harton Keep: It actually plays similar to CS:GO Nuke, with broad sides and a tight center which is not a neccesarily good position. Every class is viable and can dish out pain and I have seen some close round in IG BG in this map. PLZ add it!

Jony.D. said:
NA? Right now I don't see any NA team signed up. Or was perhaps half of the teams eu? And since when does mean that if majority of NA feedback was positive, then the feedback from EU must or should be the same.

Maybe you should reread your own posts before making more. You came and said that the map had bad feedback. I informed you that your opinion was completely wrong and that the only feedback was positive. Then you say "well the feed back is irrelevent cus NA". That makes no sense whatever.

Regarding maps, I hope people understand that everyone will have different opinions on this. Some probably want Port Assault back. I, for example, would love to still be playing Snowy Village but I understand that compromise is key. We've made a few changes to the map pool for the first time in a competitive tournament since Season 2. I think this will keep things fresh but we've been sure to avoid making too many changes like we did in Season 2.

Dasvi2018 said:
If you are to have a 2 min pick time, then make sure that a team can at least send potential picks before the pick night or else we will have a lot of randomizes when there shouldn't be.

Priority criteria is ok

Yeah that's a fair point, i'll discuss it with Scar.

What if both teams don't make their presence known? A ditched match with 0 points awarded?
Well if neither team makes an effort to even post in the thread then yes we may have to look at a course of action like that.

I said, that I thought the map wasn't succesful last time it was in some tournament and also what I meant was that the only feedback is from NA, altough good, but there are no NA teams signed up atm. But the feedback doesn't have to be irrelevent if there were people in the NA testing, which will be participating in this tournament.
Also playing snowy again would be great.

Why don't you just make a poll? If you want the majority of the participating clans to like the map rotation, I think that would be an effective way to ensure it.  :roll:

I'm happy to consult and listen to reasoned arguments but i'm not going to poll 30 clans no. Nor do I think that would be particularly helpful. I find it shocking when people so vehemently rant about any changes to the map pool.

Dasvi2018 said:
Nord Town has a large fanbase within the scene, I still remember how many people were complaining about us removing it. I think combined with the changes the map will play out much better than before, more balanced whilst providing some more options for teams that want to play aggressively.

Dasvi2018 said:
Castellum: Very exploitive spots like the wooden wall where archer are safe shooting into the flag, many dangerous corners and not an intresting position war for flags. A no-keep
I don't really agree to be honest. There are certainly positions that might be overpowered on public, however these places usually don't come into play much in competitive matches.

Dasvi2018 said:
Frosty Battle: I know camping archers are the problem on this map but still good tactics allow inf to get the archers on the hills before going flag. Pushes require a lot of coordination though. It is more of a question of "Do we have something better?" and my answer is...no.
Well, our answer is Yes. I do think that the mapedges are just way too exploitable whilst still providing very good positions in terms of flagcontrol. The reason why these mapedges aren't that much of an issue on other maps is that these positions are normally a fair bit away from the flags, so it doesn't seem very attractive for teams to go for these positions. Definitely another story on Frosty Battle though where the hills provide excellent positions for two flags and make it nearly impossible for the attacking team to push in at all. If this issue gets fixed I could very well see Frosty Battle coming back, but at the moment I don't think the map is in a good position anymore.

Dasvi2018 said:
No rewards for teams who beat a 2 of more levels ahead team?
Not possible by the rules, thus no rule.

Dasvi2018 said:
Well, that will never happen. Not only will it be very unlike that both teams won't make their presence known but the admins will also keep an eye on the situation and make try to contact the teams on Steam if we think there is the need to do so. This rule isn't intended to change the way how teams are scheduling their matches, it's intended to provided more transparency for admins to make appriotate decisions in case teams have problems scheduling.

Jony.D. said:
I said, that I thought the map wasn't succesful last time it was in some tournament and also what I meant was that the only feedback is from NA, altough good, but there are no NA teams signed up atm. But the feedback doesn't have to be irrelevent if there were people in the NA testing, which will be participating in this tournament.
Also playing snowy again would be great.
Well, I've played in the UNAC myself and from my experience they are playing like the same style as Europeans. There are some slight differences, but overall they tend to do the same stuff. Thus I rate their feedback on the map, combined with the feedback we got from the people we spoke to. I'd like to remind the community that the mappool has been changed consistantly over the past three seasons, and apart from maybe Shariz Village, I think all the maps that were added have played out as intended.

I think we should just try out the maps that they decided upon: there has always been a lot of hate whenever changes were made, so I admire the admins for even attempting changes as such.

I must say that I'm quite sad you removed Vendetta though.  :cry:

Wouldn't it be possible to add it in as the sixth map to provide additional variety to the map pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom