My Kingdom for a sword!

Users who are viewing this thread

Crusadercarl

Regular
Why am I stuck fighting in tournaments with either a useless spear that is as handy in close quarter fighting as a blindfold or competing as an axe wielding shield-less idiot with javelins coming from every direction?

If someone can tell me how I can change this so I only fight with a sword (& a shield of course) l will name my first born after them.

You can change it if you learn how to mod the game (I have absolutely no idea how to do that, you'll have to check some guides)

But if you use some tactics you can easily bypass the negatives of not having a shield. Use commands, they work on your team members. Tell them to hold a position and then get behind them while people throw javelins. Then when the enemy reaches your team go and cut their heads down with your axe! As for polearm, if you spawn with it, don't use it with a shield.

I use those tactics, I have played this mod since forever. I would still rather use a tennis racket than my current choice of armaments.

Well, I am disappointed that you can't choose your weapon here like in, say, Floris modpack. Still I got used to it and I can win 100% of the tourneys, even if I always spawn with a spear, and even if I have 40 in polearms skill.

Simple solution (you'l kick yourself when I tell you  :grin:).

Open item_kinds1 in the Brytenwalda module folder. Ctrl+f for itm_arena_sword. Copy the entry (apart from "itm_arena_sword") and paste it over the entry for the practice and arena spear/lances (apart from "itm_practice_spear" etc). They should be just underneath. somewhere.

Tested and worked fine for me. You could swap out the axes too but then you'd just have a sword with no shield, so probably better not.

Crusadercarl said:
I tried it & now I can't load my saved game  :sad:

At least I don't have to name my first born kraggrim  :razz:

You left the itm_* of the spear entries intact right? Kept same number of spaces between the entries? Worked for me so not sure what could have gone so wrong!

And under the circumstances kraggrim is a perfectly good name for an inanimate item baby that does nothing but weigh you down  :razz:

When using a spear, use it with both hands (but i think you know it), and aim for the head rushing at the ennemy, in general it is a one shot kill (with speed bonus).

Only your skill (speed of movement attack) will save you against axe and sword but its possible and not impossible at all (spear is very nice for parrying).
Always keep distance, in close combat against a shield generaly the attack animation makes the spear knock against the shield, so go for swings if it doesnt work with the thrust.

Fighting with a spear all the way through the tournament is not that hard:
Here is, for example, lvl 1 character.
Command your team: tell em to hold, lure the opponents to them, than flank the enemy. This is the key to victory.

If you want to try tweaking it with the Module System these are the two tulips to tweak.

(try_begin),
          (store_random_in_range, ":random_no", 0, 100),
          (lt, ":random_no", ":horse_chance"),
          (assign, ":has_horse", 1),
          (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_javelin"), #chief cambia caballo practice_horse a daga
        (try_end),
        (try_begin),
          (eq, ":has_horse", 1),
          (store_add, ":cur_total_chance", ":total_chance", ":lance_chance"),
          (val_add, ":cur_total_chance", ":javelin_chance"),
          (val_add, ":cur_total_chance", ":mounted_bow_chance"),
        (else_try),
          (store_add, ":cur_total_chance", ":total_chance", ":bow_chance"),
        (try_end),
        (store_random_in_range, ":random_no", 0, ":cur_total_chance"),
        (store_add, ":cur_shield_item", "itm_arena_shield_red", ":cur_team"),
        (try_begin),
          (val_sub, ":random_no", ":sword_chance"),
          (lt, ":random_no", 0),
          (try_begin),
            (store_random_in_range, ":sub_random_no", 0, 100),
            (lt, ":sub_random_no", 50),
            (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_arena_lance"), #chief cambia tipo de espada de practice_sword
            (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", ":cur_shield_item"),
#            (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_practice_shield"),
          (else_try),
            (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_heavy_practice_sword"),
          (try_end),
        (else_try),
          (val_sub, ":random_no", ":axe_chance"),
          (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_practice_axe"),
          (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", ":cur_shield_item"),
#        (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_practice_shield"),
        (else_try),
          (val_sub, ":random_no", ":crossbow_sword_chance"),
          (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", "itm_arena_sword"), #chief cambia tipo de espada de practice_sword
          (mission_tpl_entry_add_override_item, "mt_arena_melee_fight", ":i_ep", ":cur_shield_item"), #chief cambia
        (else_try),

change itm_arena_lance to whatever sword you want, be warned all the spearmen will get it in tournaments.

Sobakozoid said:
Fighting with a spear all the way through the tournament is not that hard:
Here is, for example, lvl 1 character.
Command your team: tell em to hold, lure the opponents to them, than flank the enemy. This is the key to victory.

That is what I call skill!

Back
Top Bottom