SP Native More Women

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been learning my way around the module system as of late, and the end result was a small mod. Nothing fancy, but I enjoyed it so I thought I'd share. The mod is called 'More Women' and pretty much delivers exactly what it promises, which is more women. There are two versions: one for the native game, and one merged with Diplomacy v4.2.

You can find the download link on the Nexus mods site here: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/5935/?

What is this?

It is the base game (either Native or Diplomacy 4.2) with modified female versions of most of the units, a few new companions, and more female NPCs, Lords, etc. This is something fairly simple I initially put together while learning to wade through the code for the first time; a confidence builder of sorts. I had some fun with it and thought I’d share. It has been slowly growing from there.

Semi-Plausible Backstory

Years of constant warfare have steadily depleted the population of young men fit for combat in Calradia, and the rulers have found themselves increasingly turning to women to fill the gaps in their armies. Recruiting able-bodied men in the local villages has become nothing short of a dream, and a hardy adventurer will instead find steady stream of female volunteers eager to leave behind a home with limited prospects for a Calradia that is increasingly accepting of a non-traditional female role. Men still hold the reins of power though, so while many women are having an easier time getting their foot in the door, a glass ceiling hangs not far over their heads.

Young men trained for combat have found they can charge a premium for their services now, though there are those who wonder openly if the higher price is indeed justified. Nonetheless they can frequently be found in the taverns and streets of Calradia offering their blades to the highest bidder.

Nuts and Blots

The female faction units have all been altered in some way from their male counterparts, and a couple of the top-tier faction infantry units do not have female versions. As for the alterations they vary but tend to follow one of two themes. Low level female units will be universally weaker than their male versions. Higher level units will typically have less physical strength but higher skill; extra attention to technique compensating for a lack of brute force. This means for a couple of units where raw strength is less important the female versions will likely prove superior (Crossbows pop readily to mind, for example). In the end though, any performance differences between the sexes shouldn't be too large. While one or the other may be better on paper, they should both be able to fill their role adequately.

Female bandit units are meant to compliment the existing male units, adding more bows, or melee strength, etc. depending on what the male units are lacking. Most bandit packs are about 50% larger than in the base game, and the bandits have a couple extra levels. There are also bandit leaders now, who will hopefully give a bit more challenge to an adventurer, and slaughter their fresh recruits if allowed to.

Changes in version 0.3

- New background art for many of the game screens
- Stronger Lords
- A couple of female "Lords."
- More female NPCs.
- Beefed up the Tundra/Taiga Bandits and moved their spawn point
- Changed some of the more goofy unit names

Note: The female Lords are female pretty much in display only. Some of this I hope to get around in a future release, but much of it is hardwired into the game and likely beyond my ability to change. They will: be referred to by male pronouns, tell your female character they admire you, have wives, and other things along those lines. There are only four in the game at the moment, partly because I wanted to see how well they worked before making too many of them, and partly because I didn't want to make it difficult for a female character to find a husband.

Another Note: Bandit difficulty goes: Looters - Forest Bandits - Mountain Bandits - Steppe Bandits - Sea Raiders / Desert Bandits - Taiga Bandits in order of increasing challenge. The Taiga Bandits' spawn point was moved further away from villages and towns to hopefully not make things any tougher for the Vaegir.

A 3rd Note: Things are largely tested but if you run into something odd like a Lord slaughtering 50 of your Swadian Knights, or artwork that's been clipped in a weird way feel free to drop me a note, as it wasn't intended. Especially relevant for the Diplomacy merge, as I don't commonly play Diplomacy and am more likely to miss bugs there because of that.

Credit where it is due

Diplomacy mod credit goes to Waihti and zParsifal. The main page for their mod can be found here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,116424.0.html

Female voices are from the Mortal Women Sound Pack by mortal/convention and can be found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3905/?

Background artwork is courtesy of Gambargin of Deviant Art (http://gambargin.deviantart.com/). Most, if not all, of it came from either his Historically Wrong Women Warriors series or Historical War Queens series. Images were altered slightly for size and display purposes, you can see the originals on his webpage.

Future Updates under Development

Stay tuned... :wink:

Froi said:
Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:
[/quote]
Yec0HDJ.jpg
More women, and mounted no less. What more could you want?

Unfortunately if you do want more, this isn't one of those mods.

So things are progressing well enough and I have a new version up, yay.  :grin:

A question for anyone though about Female Lords. I realize the game doesn't really support them normally, but does anyone know of a mod that has female Lords that are more than just a female wrapper on a male character? I'm interested in trying to get around as much of the problem as possible (assuming it doesn't suck up my life for months with very little to show for it of course...) but having an example of where to go, or someone to ask about it, would be a huge help.

i'm not sure if this will help,
but calradia:imperial age, has some female lords.

not sure if they're actually male though.
maybe you can ask someone there.

I think A Clash of Kings has some female lords too. Last version I played had two with the wildlings anyway.

Back
Top Bottom