Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 8 - Engine Power [VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think anyone will be suffering if they have the slider thingy's, possibly making it look just a tad bit better graphics wise then Warband to us with potato laptops.  This wont effect me soon though, deciding to buy a non-potato desktop so I can play Arma lol.

hirovard said:
Stromming said:
DanAngleland said:
Stromming said:
All I will say on this matter is: Don't sacrifice gameplay quality / features for better graphics.

As Jacobhinds said two posts above yours:  They have separate teams for each and having one of them do well doesn't automatically make the other terrible, or vice versa.

Besides, graphics play a part in enhancing gameplay, or at least they have the potential to do so (for instance, in making hits 'feel' more significant, or immersing the player more in the game world). However graphics can also serve a game poorly, if for example new effects change the much loved atmosphere of a game. Technically advanced graphics don't always make a game more enjoyable, but from what we've seen so far I am enthusiastic about Bannerlord.

Yeah but once you are satisfied with graphics, the other team can help the gameplay team or whatever. No need to focus too much on graphics, even if it has its own team.

Im sorry if you feel that you want to keep playing the game on your potato but those of us that have much newer machines shouldn't be made to suffer because you either, a) refuse to upgrade to something a little newer or b) are trying to partake in a hobby that isn't for those that cannot afford it.

The graphical department staff would more than likely be trained to do the job they do, which would be graphical side of the game. They may not necessarily have the skills or training to do coding for non graphical features. Just like how the coding department may not have the skills to make graphical stuff to the same quality as the graphical artists.

You are assuming I have a bad PC. I do not. I have a rather high-end machine so don't worry your pretty little head over that.
I simply do not think that graphics is the most important aspect of a Warband game, it's one of the least important actually and I don't think the graphics needs to be improved (after what I saw in the engine video) very much.

I wish they add the minor visual things as a choice. For example tends and scratches in armour trough a battle, detailed blood spill etc. Should be a choice, since its just minor visuality.

But the suggestion that their team of graphic artists should all of sudden go to someone's else room and start messing with their work is quite silly. The idea behind dividing workflow to different teams is to avoid having intangible mess you get when everyone is working on everything and eventually no one knows how anything works. Not to mention that their work is most probably not "finished". There will always be dozens of items and scene props that they need to make/remake/polish and as game goes the pool will dynamically change. The convenience of having dedicated team is that you can improve graphic more or less separately from improving other aspects of game. More people working on something doesn't necessarily mean doing better job - the team that can work without worrying about things outside their competence does.

Games made from scratch usually have a ton of legacy/unused items that are either low poly or low texture. The graphics teams are given some limits on the amount of detail they can put in the game (performance limits), so as the engine develops, so do the assets.
There are usually several pre-alpha version of the game produced before release. Nowadays a lot of developers release their games at this point, which is a shame, but that's beside the point. Over the 3-5 years of a development cycle, a game can end up being completely different to how it started off. For example, the majority of the graphical assets from early mount and blade are no longer used.

I just started playing Warband a couple weeks ago so I'm not an old timer to this game like many of you but I none-the-less wanted to offer some suggestions for UI improvements that can hopefully be implemented during the development of Bannerlord.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Sortable inventory. I should be able to define a portion or portions of my inventory as immovable for food, extra mounts, spare weapons and ammo, etc. but the remainder should be sortable by value. When adding to inventory such as after a battle, I should have the option to fill my inventory with only the highest value items from the combined pool of current and new items.
[*]Scrollable companion windows. When looking at the Inventory or Skills window for a companion, there should be right and left arrow buttons to scroll to next or previous companion. The current process of having to exit out of the window, exit out of the conversation, select the next companion, talk to the companion, and choose the topic of conversation is cumbersome.
[*]Unit quantity selector. If I have 100 huscarls, just as an example, I should be able to put 50 of them into a defined group to create Infantry One and Infantry Two.
[*] Unit sub-groups. I should be able to define groups of groups. Again just as an example, Infantry Two, Archery Two, and these four Companions should all answer to Squad Two.
[/list]

If there is a way to do the above already that I'm just unaware of, then it could be made more apparent in Bannerlord.

Lastly, I couldn't find any area on the forums specifically for making suggestions about Bannerlord so please forgive me for posting these in a thread that is ostensibly about the developer blog.

SDShannonS said:
I just started playing Warband a couple weeks ago so I'm not an old timer to this game like many of you but I none-the-less wanted to offer some suggestions for UI improvements that can hopefully be implemented during the development of Bannerlord.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Sortable inventory. I should be able to define a portion or portions of my inventory as immovable for food, extra mounts, spare weapons and ammo, etc. but the remainder should be sortable by value. When adding to inventory such as after a battle, I should have the option to fill my inventory with only the highest value items from the combined pool of current and new items.
[*]Scrollable companion windows. When looking at the Inventory or Skills window for a companion, there should be right and left arrow buttons to scroll to next or previous companion. The current process of having to exit out of the window, exit out of the conversation, select the next companion, talk to the companion, and choose the topic of conversation is cumbersome.
[*]Unit quantity selector. If I have 100 huscarls, just as an example, I should be able to put 50 of them into a defined group to create Infantry One and Infantry Two.
[*] Unit sub-groups. I should be able to define groups of groups. Again just as an example, Infantry Two, Archery Two, and these four Companions should all answer to Squad Two.
[/list]

If there is a way to do the above already that I'm just unaware of, then it could be made more apparent in Bannerlord.

Lastly, I couldn't find any area on the forums specifically for making suggestions about Bannerlord so please forgive me for posting these in a thread that is ostensibly about the developer blog.

The best place for suggestions would be in this thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,249537.0.html

Good suggestions; you're not the first to mention the UI shortcomings and I expect Taleworlds will address these in Bannerlord. It can't hurt for us to mention them again from time to time though.

Orion said:
Chompster said:
If the player wants to make a cheesy and overpowered unit then he should be able to(it's singleplayer after all, why do you care how others play?) but it would cost him significantly and it would take much longer to  train the unit to be effective.
OK, so you agree they should cost more and/or take longer to level up for being stronger. What I'm saying is that certain types of equipment are naturally stronger than others given certain supporting skills. An infantryman will be more efficient with an axe than a sword, but an archer with lower melee skills and proficiency won't receive much of a benefit. For the infantryman, a 400 denar axe is a stronger choice than 1000 denar sword, but clearly their costs aren't representative of this. That's why I think certain types of equipment would need different prices weighted by the unit's skills. Think of how power strike effects damage on axes compared to swords. Axes have higher base damage and a multiplier against shields. The % increase of damage from power strike (another multiplier) will yield greater absolute increases on axes than swords. Thus, axes benefit more from power strike than swords do. Why, then, should axes be cheaper than swords for units with high power strike? It's clearly a better choice, but axes are all cheaper than equivalent swords.

The thing is that you're leaving out a bunch of other factors that easily balance out the whole "powerstrike axe is superior" problem. Weapons speed, length and other attacks. Though an Axe has a greater power strike they almost always are much shorter than sword, are slower to swing and can't be stabbed with. All of which the sword does benefit from. Soldiers are better with a certain weapon because that's what they're trained to use. An Axe man is going to be good with an axe because that's what his weapon of choice. A mounted archer, though good with a bow an arrow of course, simply will always be more of a jack of all trade simply because he needs to be.

It'll be up to the player to balance out his army to make the best of all their abilities and up to the developers to make sure that you can't just go steam rolling everything with this one uber OP soldier.

The type of balance you're suggesting sounds great for Multiplayer, but for a singleplayer with an economic it just doesn't seem right to have prices, for the exact same item, be some arbitrary number just because you're buying it for Bob instead of Sam.

Not that it's relevant to this blog in particular, but with the conversation going on the way it is here, I thought I would pose a question.

Would/do axe wielders ever use the shaft of the axe to thrust? It seems weird, but at least in the M&B combat system, I would use an axe more if I could say, do a quick thrust into an opponents face. It would not be terribly effective (unless there was a spike atop the axe), but think of it like a baseball bat. If someone thrusts a baseball bat into your face, it will not be pleasant. All I'm saying is it seems silly to not allow such a move, even if it is not very effective. I could see a situation where it might be the right, and unexpected move to make. Also, it might be useful to have it as an option when ordering your soldiers to use blunt weapons only, since otherwise they resort to fists. Along the same lines, swordsmen could use a pommel strike of some sort, either blade in hand or not. They could still use the full weapon for defensive maneuvers, but strike with nonlethal attacks.

There is one Nord long axe which allows this. You press x to toggle between the normal axe grip and a different one (which slightly reduces the reach of the axe swings I think) that allows the thrusting attack in addition to the 3 swings.

There are actually three, the Long Axe, Long War Axe, and Great Long Axe, but to get access to the thrust you have to swap your entire move set and it's always two-handed. I think what Gerec meant was adding a thrust attack to many of the axes, and giving it low blunt damage. It would still be quick like a sword thrust, but it wouldn't do nearly the damage and it wouldn't be lethal in SP. It could do with a different animation though, considering one-handed sword thrusts already look kinda goofy and doing the same motion with an axe would be hysterical.

Of course, they could also use the mechanic the long axes have to incorporate entirely new animation sets or damage tpyes for a variety of weapons. Taking it one step further, that axe could be turned around so you strike with the back of the head and use it as a makeshift club. A little animation when switching your grip is all that would be necessary. If they made pommel strike animations for swords then those could be accessed in the same way.

I've written a few posts about a system like this before, so I don't want to do it all again, but if anyone is interested I can go find one and quote it here.

When is the next blog coming? Damn with this rate, we will see pictures in next 2 blogs, a small clip in the third and maybe a release date at the 5th one from now... so M&B Bannerlord released in 2018? Thank god for mods

Back
Top Bottom