Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 8 - Engine Power [VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know about you guys, but I found this fairly entertaining to read.

I have also found out that people have been skipping school to play warband at home instead

MaHuD said:
What is the max size of a scene for warband? For comparison ?

1076364864 Bananas2  So that's ~ 32808 bananas per side

I'm sorry, please forgive me. I couldn't resist.

Mods I hope will be made or return in Bannerlord, in better shape than ever before:
- An Elder Scrolls mod
- The return of the Persistent World (the ploughs are already in  :grin: )
- A medieval mod like 1257AD for Warband.
- Game of Thrones mod
- A mod set in ancient Greece, Rome, Sparta, Persia, Japan or China
- Full Invasion

and so on...

Also the heightmaps... the mountaneous region in the video looked very nice and realistic.  :smile:
Water looked nice too (will it be possible to swim this time around?).

...when is the next blog?  :grin:

MaHuD said:
What is the max size of a scene for warband? For comparison ?
jacobhinds said:
The 15km edges we're talking about in bannerlord are only three times the 5km possible in warband, putting skyrim somewhere in between at ~7km.
Anyway, these are just engine limitations. Nobody except PW modders ever uses the full 5km limit, which tends to be a bit unstable during editing anyway.

Note that Warband's limit can be achieved only through increasing each polygon's size, which in turn leads to sacrificing fine-grain terrain control. What we've seen in the Bannerlord video doesn't seem to suffer from this, as the terrain looks pretty sweet even at the limit.

Lumos said:
Note that Warband's limit can be achieved only through increasing each polygon's size, which in turn leads to sacrificing fine-grain terrain control.

Is this true? I never knew this and that could definitely be useful in making Warband maps. I tend to use a large map size even though I don't use all of it.

DanAngleland said:
There are a couple of questions that arise as soon as the weapon strikes a body. How does the swing animation end? It would probably be hard to make realistic and will depend on what the struck avatar does- will they fall over/recoil from the hit, or not be visibly affected at all (as would probably often happen if they were armoured and didn't get hit cleanly)? I don't think a weapon simply stopping when it meets an enemy would look very good at all, even if it might be realistic, and it might give the player less feeling of a damaging/powerful swing than we have now.
Going back to this comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_02n5K9JQ#t=664

Kingdom Come Deliverance seems to already have a really nice reaction system in place.

Chompster said:
DanAngleland said:
There are a couple of questions that arise as soon as the weapon strikes a body. How does the swing animation end? It would probably be hard to make realistic and will depend on what the struck avatar does- will they fall over/recoil from the hit, or not be visibly affected at all (as would probably often happen if they were armoured and didn't get hit cleanly)? I don't think a weapon simply stopping when it meets an enemy would look very good at all, even if it might be realistic, and it might give the player less feeling of a damaging/powerful swing than we have now.
Going back to this comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_02n5K9JQ#t=664

Kingdom Come Deliverance seems to already have a really nice reaction system in place.

I agree, that looks really good, a beautiful looking game in general they have there. I do wonder if it looks as good when unarmoured characters are struck with axes or spears (since they are likely to go deeper into the body in real life than a sword slash). Looks great though, I am looking forward to that one.

EDIT: The video in this blog was put up on Youtube by Taleworlds at the weekend and has had 164,000 views, pretty good :smile:

Chompster said:

However, the combat system is very different. KC: D uses preset moves that strike the same place on the enemy in the same way every time, unlike M&B, where the player isn't locked on to one enemy and can attack anywhere on any foe from any angle. That's why it's cheap for Warhorse to do context sensitive reaction animations; the contexts are extremely limited compared to those in any Taleworlds game.

Antar said:
Lumos said:
Note that Warband's limit can be achieved only through increasing each polygon's size, which in turn leads to sacrificing fine-grain terrain control.

Is this true? I never knew this and that could definitely be useful in making Warband maps. I tend to use a large map size even though I don't use all of it.

You can fiddle around using this tool here to find the largest map size; increasing the polygon size does map the map bigger overall, but it does make it considerably more difficult to add detail to the terrain, be it texture detail or landscaping.

gkx said:
It is 15km * 15km in other words one side of the map is 15km long.

Sweeeet. So that means ArmA 2 (Chernarus) sized maps (at max). Very impressive.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Anyway, I expect Lust meant what we both think he meant to say from looking at that map, which is that it represents a 15 km x 15 km area.
As long as we're both on the same page with this then it doesn't really matter. Sorry for the "troll" comment, I was tired and frustrated with something else. Shouldn't have been posting in the first place.

Also, "and" can be used to start a sentence. I wouldn't recommend it for formal writing, but it's not technically wrong (same for "but" and "or"). For Thegn's remark about OED grammarians, here's such a source: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/
However, this is a stylistic preference rather than a grammatical ‘rule’. If your teachers or your organization are inflexible about this issue, then you should respect their opinion, but ultimately, it’s just a point of view and you’re not being ungrammatical.

I don't have a problem with you emphesizing the start of your sentence fragment, but I'll be damned if there's any reason for superfluous conjunctions to be acceptable in English. I concede that you have the support of the Oxford school of impudent tosh if you really have the cheek to persist in such devilry, but it breaks my heart that you would suggest it.

"Also" is less offensive for some reason. :lol:

Apology accepted and again, I'm sorry to have attracted your ire.

Tatari_okan said:
I didn't get the "also" part.

Whilst it means the same thing as 'and', 'also' is more commonly used to start a new sentence. I often use it when making a number of points about a subject. So Meevar was acknowledging the double standards many English speakers like us apply to this issue of how to start a sentence.

I have used 'And' before, but prefer not to; it doesn't seem quite right, but all the alternatives grate on my nerves a little too. There doesn't seem to be a viable alternative sometimes than to being a sentence with one of these words, but the sentence feels a little awkward for being written in this way. For example, if I was contesting a statement made by another forum member and had multiple criticisms to make, I would make one criticism in my first or second sentence, after which I would address the second criticism in the next sentence. Invariably in this case my instinct would be to choose a word such as 'also' or 'furthermore' to begin this sentence, but I think it sounds inelegant. On the other hand, if the post I am responding to had made multiple distinct statements (as opposed to one), then I can comfortably write my post by beginning the second and subsequent sentences with words such as 'regarding' (e.g. Regarding couched lancing....) or simply omitting any preceding words and going straight into the essence of the subject (e.g. Couched lancing is not overpowered because...).

Back
Top Bottom