Looking for Writing Experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Juve

Master Knight
Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time player of Warband, and fourth year Canadian university student currently seeking writing experience of any kind. I have recently begun to help a friend in film school with some screenplays and scripts, but I would love to work on something more related to my own interests. If any of you modders are looking for some writing-related work done (dialogue, editing, quests, plot, lore, history, etc.), I am willing to help out any way I can.

I do realize most of your projects are too small to require someone dedicated to working on writing, but I don't mind helping with trivial or tedious details. I also realize that this kind of offer has probably been posted here before, but writing is more a career goal than a hobby for me. If you have no need of any writing, but happen to know someone who does (even if completely unrelated to modding or gaming), I would greatly appreciate being put in contact with said someone.

On a side note, I should mention that most of my university studies have focused on East Asian history, language and culture. My personal focus has been Japanese religion and history. I have spent 4 and a half months in Japan, and am at a conversational level with the language. I also used to speak (Canadian) French almost fluently, but have lost most of it. However, I can still understand French somewhat well, mostly due to the fact that my mother's first language is French.

If anyone is interested, simply reply here or send me a PM. Thank you for reading, and good luck with all of your respective mods!

Froi said:
Try sending a PM to the devs of Calradia Imperial Age.  Think they can use some help, lot's of dialogue issues.

Dialogue is fine, we need to shorten some main character replies so the stupid UI doesn't minimize it. Plus we got another guy already working on aside from myself.

I suggest asking the Red Wars guys.

Well, if you say so, but when I get home I will send you the screenshots of me talking to some leader of one of the new factions, and it looks like a 10 year old wrote it.

Froi said:
Well, if you say so, but when I get home I will send you the screenshots of me talking to some leader of one of the new factions, and it looks like a 10 year old wrote it.

Well I didn't write the newer faction leader stuff.

EDIT: Also, serious talk here writing for a Warband mod is pretty tricky and a oddly constricting thing unless you want to write literally for a whole module project as the way the game is coded it punishes you UI wise for adding for than two sentences (any bigger and sadly the font shrinks to the point it can get comically tiny).

Also, I hope you have patience as even improving and tweaking every line of dialogue in both files takes a century and god help you if you accidentally delete a sentence or put something accidentally in the wrong place. Or have a good beta testing team. But if you are really pumped for it, go for it and take your time :smile:.

Thanks for the advice! I knew I was offering to do some potentially painstaking work, which is part of why I decided to post here. The more challenging it is, even in a limiting sense, the more I feel like I'll get out of it. I've also been told that one of the major challenges of writing for video games in general is dealing with limitations and constrictions; very big and important thoughts or ideas often need to be said in less than two sentences.

Anyway, I'll get in contact with the Red Wars guys as you suggested. Much appreciated!

I see that the 1794: Kosciuszko Uprising guys need someone to make their Polish to English translation more English. It would be writing of a sort for you. Check out their ModDB page for information.

I suggest you to not lose time with "low-budget" projects whom material is nothing but OSP. Go get in contact with true modders, Juve. I am serious. There is quite a number of them in Caravan, or just let me guide you. You only need to PM. (I may need a writer as well, but well. Don't know your capabilities, I think you should put a few samples of your work as well.)

Belendor said:
I suggest you to not lose time with "low-budget" projects whom material is nothing but OSP. Go get in contact with true modders, Juve. I am serious. There is quite a number of them in Caravan, or just let me guide you. You only need to PM. (I may need a writer as well, but well. Don't know your capabilities, I think you should put a few samples of your work as well.)

And what would you consider a "true modder"?

ps: plz dont use a big useless image as signature, it takes space that could be usefull.

shorun3 said:
Belendor said:

ps: plz dont use a big useless image as signature, it takes space that could be usefull.

Well since my signature is none of your concern. I was talking about professionals, wouldn't you agree?

The people who really need you are the Age of Change devs.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,116530.msg2808147.html#msg2808147

They need a lot of material, and they need it well done. They've needed it for a long time too.

Belendor said:
shorun3 said:
Belendor said:

Well since my signature is none of your concern. I was talking about professionals, wouldn't you agree?

So then who is a professional modder? anyone who does that for a profession?
Also, what mods have you ever made?

@ Belendor, "professionals", you make it sound like modding is something other than a hobby. I assume you think yourself a "professional" considering how lacking in humility you are.

You are one arrogant, delusional prick, Belendor. Oh I went there, boy!

Belendor said:
Stop seducing me, mate.

If you are going to barge in here with that inbred special elite group style ignorance bull****, back up your claim with actual solid facts or stop posting.

Also, insulting the people who are forced to use OSP content as they themselves do not have the skills or time to make their own in a game coming up to half a decade old is not the best way to interest people in getting involved in the real modding community, especially if it consists of people like you who have really petty attitudes towards some of the ways new modders are doing things.

So, show us what you made at least or take your ball and leave the thread.

That is exactly what I was talking about. I am not going to discuss this whole topic with you guys, specially in such an unrelated topic. Somewhat you have grown off my age instantly with all those "boys" and "sons."

Back
Top Bottom