Legend of the Crusade of Erik IX of Sweden to Finland in 15thC images

Users who are viewing this thread

Druzhina

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Legend of the 12th century Crusade of Erik IX of Sweden to Finland accompanied by the english born Bishop Henry of Uppsala on Henry's brass monument in the church of Nousiainen, south-western Finland, c.1415-20
th_Nousiainen-Erik_and_Henrys_Cruisade_to_Finland.jpg

MIRROR SITE
Legend of the 12th century Crusade of Erik IX of Sweden to Finland accompanied by the english born Bishop Henry of Uppsala on Henry's brass monument in the church of Nousiainen, south-western Finland, c.1415-20

Comments on the equipment displayed?

Druzhina
15th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

It is uncertain whether Erik ever crusaded into Finland and if he did, whether it was a trading and/or raiding trip rather than an actual crusade. Bishop Henry (Henrik) was allegedly killed by a Finnish peasant Lalli. Historians are unsure whether Henrik ever lived or whether he was created for storytelling purposes later, as there are no records of him until at least a century after his death.

So considering that the entire crusade might not have happened at all and even if it did, is entirely veiled in myth and legend, I find the picture interesting but only from an artistic point of view - not historical.

Having said, that I'm extremely suspicious of Finns having a cannon of any sort or the sort of metal armours shown in such quantities.

Jhessail said:
It is uncertain whether Erik ever crusaded into Finland and if he did, whether it was a trading and/or raiding trip rather than an actual crusade. Bishop Henry (Henrik) was allegedly killed by a Finnish peasant Lalli. Historians are unsure whether Henrik ever lived or whether he was created for storytelling purposes later, as there are no records of him until at least a century after his death.

So considering that the entire crusade might not have happened at all and even if it did, is entirely veiled in myth and legend, I find the picture interesting but only from an artistic point of view - not historical.
That is why this is about the Legend.

Jhessail said:
Having said, that I'm extremely suspicious of Finns having a cannon of any sort or the sort of metal armours shown in such quantities.
What century are you referring to?

Druzhina
Illustrations of Scandinavian Costume & Soldiers

She's referring to the right panel which shows the Finns using cannons against Swedish ships. So the 12th century. Or at any point before the Swedish times anyway.

The pictures are likely anachronisms anyway. Painting on church walls and such was a good way to educate illiterate peasants.

Untitled. said:
She's referring to the right panel which shows the Finns using cannons against Swedish ships. So the 12th century. Or at any point before the Swedish times anyway.

The pictures are likely anachronisms anyway. Painting on church walls and such was a good way to educate illiterate peasants.
Of course they are anachronistic.  The vast majority of medieval illustrations depict costume of the time they were created. These are 15th century illustrations of a legend.

Druzhina
15th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

My personal favorite is when they include armors from a previous generation or two in order to depict the scene as "ancient".  For example I think I remember seeing an illustration of some Old Testament battle from the late 1200's showing the troops as having Spangelhelms with nose guards and hauberks.

Back
Top Bottom